Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 PM

32 posts, read 72,802 times

Advertisements

Depends on what you're looking for. Some parts of Europe are either too expensive or too western to be worth the trip. Personally, my Euro-border is Berlin and anywhere east of Berlin. Visit a majestic city like L'viv or a city pulsing with energy like Istanbul or Berlin and you'll probably have a tough time finding a reason to visit the usual run-of-the-mill tourist destinations in Europe. (France, Spain, Italy, Bavaria etc.) L'viv during the week of Easter is a blast and takes you to a whole different world and time. (I was there this past April and May.)

If you want something different from 'normal' Europe, I highly recommend traveling through Western Ukraine before it's discovered by tour-buses and budget airlines. Other countries I recommend would be Poland, Romania, and Bulgaria. It's easy to work an on-the-ground route through the historical cities in the aforementioned regions, so if you have the time and the money, do it. You won't be disappointed. And I promise your dollar will stretch a whole lot more than it would in Paris or Rome too. (Especially if you have the miles to fly for free.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 11:55 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Being a lower-income tightwad, I'm forever looking for the biggest bangs I can get for my bucks!

I also know how to use a calculator. I've calculated it many times, the cost of a European trip can equal 3+ trips to Central/South America.

Europe is the logical place to start your foreign travels, and I'm glad I got that out of my way during my hippie/backpacking days. Been there, done that, time to enjoy the greater bargains elsewhere!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID36587238953 View Post
Speak for yourself.

Who cares if someone doesn't want to go to Europe or not.
I think you've accidentally stumbled into the wrong forum. In this one, people speak for themselves, and the OP specifically asked if anyone had an opinion like mine.

Since that was your first post here (and probably last), you have luckily not wasted much of your life suffereing from this misconception about what discussion forums are all about.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:07 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,346,453 times
While we sent our girls on a 1 month trip to Europe, my hubby and I never had the desire to go. Even if we won a trip would decline going. Just need to see more of this continent.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:39 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
I don't think that any one place is superior to another to visit.
Whomever is trying to convince of the my feel they have something to prove.

Life is too short to worry about what others think of your travels.

I'm envious of anyone who is traveling to anywhere when I'm not.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:50 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times
I find it fascinating that some of you have no desire to visit even one place in an entire continent. I think it is somewhat funny that people who presumably like to travel (being in the City Data Travel Forum and all) will easily say "I have no interest in ever visiting Europe." Or "I have no interest in ever visiting Asia." Wow, that's a whole lot of land mass and culture you just pooh-poohed from 3,000 miles (or whatever) away. I have interest in at least one place on every continent (though more than likely, many places!).

I like to travel the US as well (I am American), however that is no substitute for experiencing another culture. Not even close. It is fine if that doesn't interest you, but again I think it is just surprising so many people feel that way on a message board centered on travel!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,140 times
There are certain places that each individual is not meant to explore. You will not be scared for life if you never visit Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think you've accidentally stumbled into the wrong forum. In this one, people speak for themselves, and the OP specifically asked if anyone had an opinion like mine.

Since that was your first post here (and probably last), you have luckily not wasted much of your life suffereing from this misconception about what discussion forums are all about.
He/she could have thought you were stating your opinion as a fact. The part where you stated "Everyone should go to Europe once" could be mistaking for that. Not saying you were stating it as a fact, just saying.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:27 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gullah View Post
He/she could have thought you were stating your opinion as a fact. The part where you stated "Everyone should go to Europe once" could be mistaking for that. Not saying you were stating it as a fact, just saying.
Not to overly quibble the point, but the word "should" is not typically used to indicate that something is being offered as a fact. In any case, he is gone after his one and only post and will probably never be back.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:45 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
Europe is cool, but I guess I just don't have much or any motivation to go to western europe unless I was on a long layover to a different country I was making a visit to. I am much more interested to see South America or Asia, although I have to admit, my favorite is South America.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:22 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
I don't know why someone wouldn't be interested in Europe. I mean cost is certainly a factor you aren't easily backpacking thru Northern Europe on $20/day like you can in Central America or South Asia but it is a big, diverse, culturally rich continent.

I guess I'm considering "interested in" and "affordable" as two different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel