U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:28 PM

28,208 posts, read 47,606,329 times

Advertisements

The advertising watchdog has launched a formal investigation into TripAdvisor, the travel review website, after thousands of hoteliers and restaurateurs claimed that its reviews are made up or defamatory.

TripAdvisor investigated by Advertising Standards Authority after complaints - Telegraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 01:41 PM

8,246 posts, read 11,107,651 times
It's an INVESTIGATION. Let us know what they find.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:31 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
I certainly have had my occasional suspicions.
I guess I just sort of try to read between the lines, look for a balanced review with pros and cons.

On another travel site I visit, someone said that after a pleasant meal at a restaurant, he filled out a comment card (including his email address) saying what a good meal he had, and someone there used his email address to register a fake profile at Tripadvisor and give the place a good review--along with other places he had never even set foot in.

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but it happened.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:07 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,160,149 times
I use TripAdvisor to gather info about locations but don't place a whole lot of stock in their reviews ... Although I haven't used Expedia to book a trip in years, I have found the customer reviews on Expedia to be more balanced and every hotel I've booked after reading the reviews met or exceeded my expectations so I incorporate those in my hotel research.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,686,525 times
I could see TripAdvisor's reviews being used by people with an axe to grind or by the businesses themselves to talk their hotel/restaurant up beyond merit.

We stayed in a cheap and basic motel north of L.A. a few years ago. My problem with it was how unbelievably noisy it was, hence making a good night's sleep very difficult. Paperthin walls and the fact that it was the closest I've seen a motel built next to a freeway ever. I wrote a fair review mentioning the noise factor because I thought others would find that useful. Right after my review, several others were added all emphasizing how quiet the place was The freeway is the I-5. It can never be quiet.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I could see TripAdvisor's reviews being used by people with an axe to grind or by the businesses themselves to talk their hotel/restaurant up beyond merit.

We stayed in a cheap and basic motel north of L.A. a few years ago. My problem with it was how unbelievably noisy it was, hence making a good night's sleep very difficult. Paperthin walls and the fact that it was the closest I've seen a motel built next to a freeway ever. I wrote a fair review mentioning the noise factor because I thought others would find that useful. Right after my review, several others were added all emphasizing how quiet the place was The freeway is the I-5. It can never be quiet.
Yeah ... I know EXACTLY how noisy that freeway can get as I live verrrry close to the offramp ... Those reviews stating that the motel was "quiet" were definitely fake or misleading ...

Old 09-07-2011, 06:25 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,879,106 times
Default The dirty truth about hotel ratings...

The dirty truth about hotel ratings - CNN.com

Old 09-08-2011, 04:56 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,253,117 times
I use TA a lot and about 50% of the time post a rating on where I have been to try to balance out the others. I think if more people who use it to find information gave back it would make the site more reliable....

I also read the other reviews someone has written to see how fair / biased they are...

Old 09-08-2011, 07:00 PM

6,153 posts, read 6,321,355 times
Unless pretty much all of the reports about a hotel are negative, I do not rely on them when booking a hotel. There are people that simply have too high of standards and complain about everything. There are other people who could stay in a skid row dive and think it was the greatest place they have ever seen.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Unless pretty much all of the reports about a hotel are negative, I do not rely on them when booking a hotel. There are people that simply have too high of standards and complain about everything. There are other people who could stay in a skid row dive and think it was the greatest place they have ever seen.
I also use the reviews with a grain of salt ... I look at the reasons why they complain (usually about parking or WiFi issues, which are two things I have no need of) and I look at the reasons why folks like the hotel. If it is only a handful of reviews, I proceed cautiously but with several pages of consistency, I usually am able to book with confidence. So far, I've always had my expectations met or exceeded when staying at a hotel after I have read tons of reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or