U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:07 PM

5,170 posts, read 8,693,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Anymore this is easier said than done. Delta Airlines, for one, is very hard to get a decent seat unless you have a high status with their mileage club. Aisle seats are now getting harder to get. Most airline websites let you look at the available seats for any given flight. Anymore, unless you have VIP status, the aisle and window seats are blocked until check-in. Much of the time right at the 24 hour before departure time when one can check in, all of the aisle seats will be taken. Once in a while I will try call the 800 reservation number and try to get a seat assigned before the 24 hour mark. Sometimes I get lucky and get an agent that is willing to snag me a seat that has been blocked on the website.
I flew Delta to NYC recently and had awesome seats. My flight up was empty pretty much - surprising - Friday afternoon FLL to JFK - on the way back, Sunday night, crammed. Good flight though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 02:01 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
I wish this thread were about stopOVERS. There is a huge penalty if you want a stopover on a flight.

I would be flying tomorrow morning, if there was an airline that would fly me to Australia at the non-stop fare, but let me stop at about 6 Pacific islands for a few days or a week each en route. But it would cost probably 3 or 4 times as much to fly SFO-Australia with three stopovers each way.

Occasionally, you can luck out and get a late flight where there is a stop, and the airline will put you up overnight and fly you onward the next day. I got overnight stops in Gabon and Dubai that way, which was nice. It's the only time I ever get to sleep in a hotel that has any stars at all.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:57 PM

1,637 posts, read 3,603,375 times
I vowed a long time ago that if I ever fly to Australia, I will only fly in the business or first class section with the recliners, etc...

Old 09-16-2011, 04:02 PM

702 posts, read 2,797,062 times
I think you can add a stopover for the trip if the plane was going to stopover anyway for a relative minimal fee or in some cases for free. However, if you start adding cities, that is no longer considered a stopover but a multi-city itinerary. In which case, they will charge you for it. So maybe you should explore flying a SFO-HNL-SYD flight with a stopover in HNL for a few weeks, then just book separate flights from HNL to whatever islands you want to fly to. I think that is the only option as I'm not quite sure there is a SFO-Tahiti-Sydney flight. The other option is a Round the World trip where it allows you to just book a bunch of cities going in one direction.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:48 PM

6,541 posts, read 4,490,735 times
The less stops the better, especially if you don't like flying, because the less times you have to takeoff and land the least likely problems will occur. Also, layovers are a pain in the ass. The last layover I had my connection was late, and even running as fast I could to my connecting gate I got there was enough just to see it leave the gate. That's the last time I'm doing a connection. It helps living in the New York area because we get flights to almost everyone in the US and Canada.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:51 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,873,644 times
Non stop! The more times you touch the ground, the more chances for delays.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:34 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,231,737 times
I don't see much of a point in taking a stop, you're either sitting on an airplane or waiting around in an airport, in the end your flight time isn't going to be any shorter. Unless you like airports or can work out an extended layover to see the city, I find it pretty pointless to take a stop.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:35 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,231,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I wish this thread were about stopOVERS. There is a huge penalty if you want a stopover on a flight.

Depends heavily on the airline, Korean Air does not give a big penalty at all!

Old 10-16-2011, 05:22 AM

9,126 posts, read 17,137,876 times
Now Gone IndpendenceAir let you select your connecting flight, (mosty all there flight connect at Dulles) Flying from MHT to ATL I Scheduled a Long (6hr) connection @ IAD so I could go over to the 'new' Air/Space Museum at Dullas. Was nice to be able to do that.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:18 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,561,269 times
I always go for non stop if the price is even close.

G Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or