Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:54 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,929,273 times

Advertisements

If I have a choice, I always go non-stop. I have never had a problem with non-stop, but have more issues with layovers. They consist of missing layovers because first plane is late, gates being so far from each other that it was like running a half marathon, losing luggage, planes being changed at the last minute but gate information not being updated, etc. I know that your average traveler isn't going to deal with most of my horror stories in their lifetime, but as a previous road warrior, I had so many bad experiences that I required direct flights when they were an option. If I had to pay extra out of my pocket to do so, I paid the extra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 02:43 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,248,397 times
I agree with Alley. Always pick the least number of connections all other things being equal.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:10 AM

1,812 posts, read 3,351,879 times
non stop never know if you will catch the next flight , if it gets cancled your bags get lost load of things can happen this way you go on you plane with everything and you end up non stop at your destination. no interuptions and or what ifs

Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,214,122 times
Smile Non stop it is

More time at our destination - red eye back home

New airline for me -
Virgin America

Cali here we come!

Old 09-10-2011, 08:43 AM

702 posts, read 3,007,131 times
This is easy. If the prices are equal, there is no doubt I'd pick a non-stop. Having a stop increases the chances of having misconnections due to weather or delay or baggage issues if you check any baggage.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:49 PM

943 posts, read 1,318,507 times
I used to always take the flight with the connection if it was even just a little bit cheaper. But I was burned many times with missed connections. Several times I even had to spend the night at a hotel in the connecting city, which was no fun at all.

So now I always book a nonstop flight if I possibly can. The connecting flght has to be a lot cheaper for me to take that one instead.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:09 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,284,946 times
If I am not in a hurry, and travelling for pleasure, I prefer to stop in an airport, and have a layover. I like to get off the plane, have a nice meal, go to a real bathroom, walk around, see the airport, just enjoy travelling. But that is me...I can't stand airplane bathrooms, being cooped up for a long period of time, I would rather break it up a bit...but just for a short layover, less than 3 hours...

Old 09-10-2011, 07:17 PM

74 posts, read 565,764 times
There was a time when I chose the 1 stop flights. I am taller than most people and get real uptight when I cannot move my legs in the plane. If you are tall, I would look to sit in the emergency exit row-assuming coach-because it offers a little more leg room. Also, the 1 stop flights are usually less crowded because everyone wants the nonstop if it is offered. Secondly, I like the red eyes because the terminals and flights are usually less crowded. However, when traveling with my family, I prefer the nonstop flights. I made the mistake of taking a 1 stop with my family and thought I was going to go insane. Just about the time my kids settled down, the plane landed and they started acting up again. Now, when I travel with my family, I take nonstop, but still take the red eye. The kids are usually less active that way. The ultimate decision, of course, will have to be your own preferences, but hopefully you get enough responses to make an educated guess.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:59 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,986,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed118 View Post
I am taller than most people and get real uptight when I cannot move my legs in the plane. If you are tall, I would look to sit in the emergency exit row-assuming coach-because it offers a little more leg room.
Anymore this is easier said than done. Delta Airlines, for one, is very hard to get a decent seat unless you have a high status with their mileage club. Aisle seats are now getting harder to get. Most airline websites let you look at the available seats for any given flight. Anymore, unless you have VIP status, the aisle and window seats are blocked until check-in. Much of the time right at the 24 hour before departure time when one can check in, all of the aisle seats will be taken. Once in a while I will try call the 800 reservation number and try to get a seat assigned before the 24 hour mark. Sometimes I get lucky and get an agent that is willing to snag me a seat that has been blocked on the website.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:07 PM

74 posts, read 565,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Anymore this is easier said than done. Delta Airlines, for one, is very hard to get a decent seat unless you have a high status with their mileage club. Aisle seats are now getting harder to get. Most airline websites let you look at the available seats for any given flight. Anymore, unless you have VIP status, the aisle and window seats are blocked until check-in. Much of the time right at the 24 hour before departure time when one can check in, all of the aisle seats will be taken. Once in a while I will try call the 800 reservation number and try to get a seat assigned before the 24 hour mark. Sometimes I get lucky and get an agent that is willing to snag me a seat that has been blocked on the website.
Well then... thanks for making my next flying experience something to look forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel