U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:04 AM

2,677 posts, read 3,862,378 times

Advertisements

I stayed at an absolutely awful hotel two nights ago, especially for the price. I made the mistake of checking the reviews online after purchase. When I called to cancel, I couldn't because it pre-paid, yada yada.

Is there any recourse to maybe get money back or anything. I booked through priceline and will contact them. It's just not right for what they are doing? Or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:08 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,522,564 times
You're missing having checked the reviews before, rather than after you paid.

It won't hurt to contact priceline, but sorry, but I think you're out of luck. (Besides, if you did stay there then you did receive services for payment, crummy though they might have been.)

Old 09-09-2011, 10:20 AM

15,371 posts, read 34,647,252 times
as a Hotel Reservations Manager, i will say this.....on EVERY website there are rules amd disclaimers, what you booked was a NON-refundable reservation....

The reason it was non-refundabe is because it was CHEAP....you're stuck......

Old 09-09-2011, 12:00 PM

2,677 posts, read 3,862,378 times
Yeah I figured. But how do they get away with such stuff. Don't we as consumers have recourse. Why don't they go out of business with all the horrible reviews?? On the other hand, this was a franchise hotel from a big chain, doesn't the chain care? I will sure never stay with them again.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,844,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Yeah I figured. But how do they get away with such stuff. Don't we as consumers have recourse. Why don't they go out of business with all the horrible reviews?? On the other hand, this was a franchise hotel from a big chain, doesn't the chain care? I will sure never stay with them again.
They stay in business and keep getting new business and reservations because most people are CHEAP. They buy based on one thing, PRICE.

You can have a place called the Flea Bag Dirty Filty Hotel by the Stinky Hog Farm which was just voted the worst hotel in the world, and some poeple will jump at the reservation if its 2 cents cheaper per night, thinking they got a good deal, and do nothing to check the place out before they reserve.

That's why these places stay in business and thats why they will always be in business, because of stupid cheap people!

Old 09-09-2011, 12:25 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,155,423 times
Quote:
The only option you have at this point is to complain to the chain headquarters ... Maybe there's a customer service line or comment/feedback/complaint form on their website. They likely will not refund what you paid for your hotel stay but at least they will be made aware of the issues with one of their hotels. In the future, read reviews from MULTIPLE sites to gain a sense of what a hotel is like prior to booking ... Also, try booking at the hotel itself (after research) as they may offer better deals and have better cancellation policies than priceline.

Example: I just booked a luxury hotel with rave reviews in a popular tourist destination directly with hotel reservations during a promotion and got a $108 rate per night ... My hotel comes with washer and dryer, full kitchen and balcony. I have up to 48 hrs prior to cancel for a refund and only had to pay one night down to reserve. ALWAYS check with the hotel's reservations and their specials as they can supersede the "deals" on sites like Priceline and may offer refundable options

Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,155,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
They stay in business and keep getting new business and reservations because most people are CHEAP. They buy based on one thing, PRICE.

You can have a place called the Flea Bag Dirty Filty Hotel by the Stinky Hog Farm which was just voted the worst hotel in the world, and some poeple will jump at the reservation if its 2 cents cheaper per night, thinking they got a good deal, and do nothing to check the place out before they reserve.

That's why these places stay in business and thats why they will always be in business, because of stupid cheap people!
A little harsh, don'tcha think? I personally think it is stupid to pay mega bucks for a ritzy hotel but I'm digressing here ...

The OP was smart to try and find a deal but perhaps because of his/her inexperience, booked the nightmare hotel. There are valid reasons why folks opt for the cheap, fleabag hotel and it has nothing to do with stupidity Some reasons that I can think of include ....

1. There are folks who are inexperienced with traveling and often learn the hard way about researching prior to booking
2. Some folks would not have the option to travel or may be forced to make a trip (funerals, etc) that they cannot afford so they are often forced to book the cheapest hotel.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:23 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,816,280 times
Quote:
You have a responsibility to yourself as well.
If you choose not to read reviews until afterwards, tough cookies.
Consider it a lesson learned.

Your experience might be good, why assume the worst?

Old 09-10-2011, 12:18 PM

6,150 posts, read 6,319,318 times
Quote:
I stayed at an absolutely awful hotel two nights ago, especially for the price. I made the mistake of checking the reviews online after purchase. When I called to cancel, I couldn't because it pre-paid, yada yada.

Is there any recourse to maybe get money back or anything. I booked through priceline and will contact them. It's just not right for what they are doing? Or am I missing something?
You have not said what made the hotel "absolutely awful". Was it because things in the room did not work, hair in the sink, blood on the sheets and such or because it was just a tired rundown hotel in a lousy location? If there was an actual problem with the room did you contact the front desk to have them correct it? If the hotel failed to live up to what it advertised then you might have some recourse. On the other hand if you are trying to hold a 2 star hotel to 4 star standards then you are just wasting everyone's time, including your own, by pursuing this matter any further.

If there were actual problems with the room you might try contacting the customer service department of the national chain. They will pass it on to the hotel manager who usually is required to respond within a certain time. Since you booked thru a third party they will probably tell you to contact them.

On the other hand, if the room simply just did not live up to the standards Priceline portrayed it to be, then you need to contact Priceline.

Since this is now all in the past, you might not want to get too wrapped up in this. Chances are anything you get out of this will not be worth the effort it took to get it.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:06 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,694,472 times
I pre-paid for a Priceline hotel...and you get what you pay for...it was a Days Inn, so I thought it would be okay...WRONG...it was so bad...I called to upgrade, or whatever...they blah blah...so, my solution was to just leave, eat the money, and stayed in a decent place...and learned not to do that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or