U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 07:02 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,351,410 times

Advertisements

What are the most expensive countries in Europe to travel to, and what are the cheapest?

I would imagine the most expensive countries in Europe for the budget (which combines the backpacking and low-end categories) or mid-range traveler would be Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Denmark, followed by France, Belgium, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and Italy. All are far more expensive, at least when it comes to food and lodging, than the U.S., though the types of costs are different and travel in the U.S. (for an American) is about as comparable to travel in Europe as it is to travel in Latin America or Asia.

The cheapest ones are probably certain Eastern European countries, with Germany, Greece, Spain, and Portugal being the cheaper Western European countries. Spanish prices were somewhat lower than the U.S. when I was there (2008), even with the record-high Euro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 09:08 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,843,755 times
I find Ireland and the UK to be the most expensive.
Romania is reasonable; other countries outside of big touristed cities are fair to middlin in cost.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:45 AM

8,270 posts, read 11,133,121 times
Finland and Switzerland are the most spendy, to me. Ireland can be cheaper than the UK but that's because they have excellent government -price-controlled B&B's which are a good alternative to the $200 a night hotels..

Old 09-10-2011, 01:33 PM

210 posts, read 619,309 times
Iceland used to be one of the most expensive, but from what I've read it is now one of the cheaper destinations thanks to the collapse of its financial system and currency.

Switzerland is easily one of the most expensive.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:41 AM

24 posts, read 108,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostrand View Post
Switzerland is easily one of the most expensive.
Given the recent steep run up in the value of the Swiss Franc (due to the Euro's weakness as a result of debt concerns in Greece, etc.), I would wager that Switzerland right now is one of the most expensive places anywhere.

All of the advanced, wealthy countries with a high Value Added Tax (VAT) have pretty high prices by just about any measure. This is found especially in the Nordic countries in northern Europe.

Don't forget, too, that big and/or capitol city prices in Europe are often a lot higher than in other places. This is just as in the U.S., of course -- New York City and Boston are a lot more expensive than, say, Indianapolis or Phoenix.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:08 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,848,619 times
inexpensive...........croatia is cheap, Bratslaavia, Poland, Check,

expensive, Austria, UK, EIRE, Switzerland, Monaco, Norway,

Old 09-11-2011, 08:50 AM

I guess you haven't been to Prague lately. Czech is now on-par with Western European countries.

I forgot about Switzerland. I usually stay in Germany and do day trips or camp. Yeah, it is high priced.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:44 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,848,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I guess you haven't been to Prague lately. Czech is now on-par with Western European countries.

I forgot about Switzerland. I usually stay in Germany and do day trips or camp. Yeah, it is high priced.

no i haven't

Old 09-11-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post
no i haven't
Prices have increased in the past 3 years and significantly since 2002.
I found a cheap hotel that I stayed at in 2003 and I can't afford to walk into the lobby now. It's been updated and is now one of the most expensive hotels in Prague!

Food's still reasonable, German prices mostly, perhaps a few Euro more. Even cities like Olomouc, Cesky Krumlov and Brno are getting pricey.
3 years ago, there were empty shelves in the groceries and now they're all full. That's a wonderful change.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:34 PM

702 posts, read 2,798,250 times
Generally, the wealthier nations and the further north they are, the more expensive. If I had to pick one, it will be Norway.

The cheapest tend to be the former eastern bloc nations. The more obscure the cheaper it is. Croatia used to be cheap, but it has been discovered. So, maybe countries like Bulgaria and Romania might be on the cheaper side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or