U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 04:13 AM

145 posts, read 392,200 times

Advertisements

I've only ever had bed bugs once and that was in a hostel in Uruguay. I've stayed in countless hotels, motels and hostels since and don't ever worry about getting bitten by them again, there are far greater things in the world to worry about - i focus on enjoying myself when i'm away instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 12:39 PM

6,063 posts, read 9,524,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
... I am very particular about where I stay, though. If the place is nice and clean visually from the outside, I'll go in and look. If the corners of the floor are dirty, if the lobby is dimly lit, or the ceiling has even one cobweb, I'm outta there. ...
Ironically, we once walked away from a hotel where we had a reservation because it looked downtrodden. We went to a hotel that looked much nicer, across the street. And that nicer hotel is where the bedbugs got to us!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:42 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,413,918 times
My BF in high school married a Filipino who was in the US Navy. In their travels, she went to stay in the islands for 18 months.

When they came back into the US, she, her husband, and their children all had to undergo delousing. She told me that lice were everywhere, that people used to stand at bus stops and pick the lice off of each other. It was an accepted practice, and passed without comment.

Different people, cultures, and different areas have different ideas about cleanliness. What we might feel nauseated about or be repelled by, is often accepted as a norm in many parts of the world. What concerns me is not so much the bug bites themselves, but as a previous poster wrote, whom they might have bitten before they bit me, and what sort of diseases they might have passed inadvertently into the bugs. It wasn't so much the rats that carried the Plague throughout Eastern Europe, as the rats' fleas... back then, being 'flea-bitten' was not something that only happened to dirt-floor-poor people. There's a reason people still kill mice and rats, call exterminators for roaches, put screens over their windows, deflea their dogs and carpets, or even hang stickytape traps in front of windows to catch flies. Bugs spread diseases.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:17 AM

13,040 posts, read 15,385,717 times
Would I know I was being bitten at the time? I stayed in a hotel several weeks ago and didn't notice anything till I got home the next day, when my lower legs/feet, especially the right, started to itch. I saw that I had multiple bites. Later noticed a few on my upper legs and arms, but mostly around my right ankle. I was tired and probably slept pretty soundly. There is nothing else I can attribute the bites to. I hadn't been anywhere else or felt any bites while I was awake. They would ooze clear fluid when I scratched them and the fluid would quickly dry into a clear pointy head. It took a couple of weeks for them to be completely gone. At first I was thinking it was poison ivy, but it was not an intense itch like poison ivy (although I didn't know where I would have gotten poison ivy - and I should say also that I had socks on the entire time except when I was in the hotel room so that is part of the reason I think I got the bites in the hotel room). They itched, but just a mild itching, nothing like poison ivy or chiggers.

The only thing I can think of is either bed bugs or fleas in the bed. Wore a T-shirt to bed and had a couple of bites on my stomach, but mostly the bites were on areas that weren't covered by clothing.

Old 09-20-2011, 03:47 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
I usually frequent dozens of hotels in my travels around N.America every year and to this point i've never encountered a bed bug..
I've noticed Most hotels i now frequent have a plastic mattress case, kinda like a pillow case for the mattress.
Also i dont understand why a hotel/motel would rent out a room knowing it has bed bugs,i would think they would quarantine the room and resolve the problem after the first complaint.

Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 AM

7,495 posts, read 9,755,823 times
The problem with bedbugs is that it only takes one of those little duds to cause a major infection since one female can lay like 300 eggs. In my city, (Denver) I can't remember ever having a bedbug problem, yet in the past few years you can't find an urban apartment that doesn't have them. I've got to get the heck out of here.

I second the Bedbug Registry though, I've found them to be pretty accurate and it's saved me wasting a lot of time going to infested apartments without knowing they're infected.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:05 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,886,317 times
When traveling, the biggest concern is taking them back home with you.

Read up on and follow the advice available and even if you suffer a few bites it will just be an unpleasant short lived experience but not much worse than getting bit by spiders or mosquitoes.

Looking the room over will not necessarily show any evidence unless it is a bad longer term infestation. It can only get to that stage by a big lack of housekeeping in general.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:13 AM

19,786 posts, read 19,886,317 times
[quote=luzianne;20954555]Would I know I was being bitten at the time?
No.
One problem with the little buggers is they inject an anesthetic before biting so you don't feel it until later. That makes it harder to figure out where and when .
There are plenty of photos and descriptions online to compare with.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:06 PM

187 posts, read 381,793 times
The only true way to rid a bedbug infestation (through our experience), is to have an exterminator come out and do a heat treatment.

We tried EVERYTHING under the sun to rid of the pests that bit my son while staying at a swanky hotel. We bought them home, and they made way to my daughter's room. We spent about $500 on powders, liquids, and heavy duty plastic mattress covers. The heat treatment cost us $2200, but it gave us a peace of mind, and our house back.

Yes, I did file a report with the Health Dept., but they were slow about handling the investigation, only to find three weeks later reporting "nothing was found." I was fuming! My son was the only one to get the bites at the hotel, and he had a bed to himself. Couple that with not having anything before we step foot in there and seeing the bugs on my sons mattress when we got home.

BedBug Registry does show that particular hotel as having them. Just checked. Wish I knew of that site before we left. Oh well!

Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 AM

5,677 posts, read 8,592,236 times
I just completed a 1 year long trip around the world, in the Middle East, Southeast Asia and South America, 22 countries in all and staying in 105 different hotels and hostels. With perhaps 1 or 2 exceptions I did not have any problems with bedbugs. I'm of the opinion that it's usually not a problem, perhaps you're just unlucky to have experienced this?

Note again that I stayed in 105 different hotels, almost always in budget hotels, in 22 countries and never had much of a problem Either I am immune to bedbugs or I got lucky or the problem is not that common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or