U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 09:47 AM

2,890 posts, read 5,393,162 times

Advertisements

I used to take TONS of pictures. In the old days, I rarely got them developed. It took 3 years to get the honeymoon pictures developed! Now I have a boatload of digital pictures sitting around on storage media.

Now I just enjoy the moment and file the memories in my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 10:23 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,023,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Well I don't agree at all! 0%!

People are having fun.

What the wise man says !

Hubby and I love photography and we take a lot on our vacations. I don't think it really interferes with anyone else's life as we tend to visit places out of season and prefer quiet places anyway and most of our photos are either of scenery or quirky things we encounter.

We never take photos of ourselves though which seems to surprise most people. I know what I look like, I know what Hubby looks like so neither of us feel the need . I just love looking at our photos when we get back home and it tends to keep me going until our next vacation.

I do think people go a tad overboard with photos of themselves though, especially since the advent of the mobile phone/camera but whatever rocks their boats. None of my beeswax at the end of the day.

The camera fixes a particular moment in time I suppose but I just prefer things which are far more interesting than myself on "film". The trick though IMO is to know how to see as well as look though, I know some people seem more bothered about taking photos than actually imbibing the place they are visiting which seems a shame. To me a photo is a memory but you must still have time to stop and smell the roses once in a while not just commit them to digital eternity.

I'm off to California for a month and I know we shall come back with hundreds of photos. And I shall enjoy almost all of them when we get back.

Old 09-15-2011, 01:17 PM

5,327 posts, read 11,053,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't like how most compact digital cameras these days lack a viewfinder.
If people stop looking for a camera that is almost as flat as a credit card, you can have your viewfinder back. It is simply a lack of space that eliminates a viewfinder. Guess what people like ?
Hej look what I have, a super flat digital, or an umpteen hundred dollar SLR (Hah, you do not have one like mine hah !!!)

We take our grandkids to the zoo often, and you'd be surprised how many housewives, have this SLR, with a (looks like) 3 feet long multi-hundred dollar lens, hanging above their table size behinds. It makes sense tho, because in order to take your kids to the zoo on a work day, you better be in an upper bracket earning sector, else you just do not have the money nor the time to be at the zoo ...
We are retired, ex military ---- lots of discounts ... na na na na ...

One thing that is *funny* to me is that most people have to travel thousands of miles, to then just take a picture of themselves ...
I dread those moments when friends ask you to watch their vacation pics with them. Nooooo .... I know what you look like dang it !!!
Seems like I am not the only one, judging from several posts above ...

Old 09-15-2011, 02:18 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,589,054 times
Out of tens of thousands of photos I took in my life, I was in probably a dozen of them, and only because there were groups of people (friends & family members) in the same pics as well. About 1% of the photos I took were of my husband, but he never posed for the camera in any of them.

I don't usually take pictures of the same scenery/attractions/sights as other people do; in fact, I would say almost half of my photos are of insignificant things that most people never notice. I took pictures of tree barks, exposed roots, cracks on the walls, etc. I find them very interesting, and not because I want to show off my photos on the Internet. I do share some photos that I like to a small circle of friends, and in turn, they show me theirs. I learned how to take better pictures from these shared experiences.

If someone doesn't like the five minutes I circle a tree while snapping photos of the way sunlight hitting the leaves, it would not be my problem but theirs. I do not bother anybody, not even the tree, so why should other people feel annoyed about what I do?

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 09-15-2011 at 02:27 PM..

Old 09-15-2011, 02:38 PM

21,323 posts, read 21,900,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes I generally bring a camera along when I travel, but I was just griping earlier on about how annoying it is that a good majority of travellers I see seem to spend 80% of their time taking photos. Like their mobile phones, it seems they are obsessed with taking photos or videos to put up on the internet. It's like our entire lives are fed into this online world which is sucking the life out of and replacing the 'real world.'

Sometimes if I see something interesting or famous I might get a bit carried away, but I try not to focus on my camera and taking pics...you're creating memories but memories of what, of the time when you were creating those memories lol.

Of course everyone is free to snap away as much as they want, but all those cameras do get annoying. I get fed up and trying not to get into someone's picture. I'm just saying some people can get too carried away trying to be a photo-journalist or a photographer, and not actually take time to experience the place, take in the sights, sounds and smell of the place.
<click...click...click......clickity-click-click-click......click>

Old 09-15-2011, 03:24 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,191,625 times
I am not a big fan of taking pictures with people in it etc.. Just a waste of time. Sure if your infront of some famous building take a picture. But I do enjoy taking pictures of buildings and street scenes etc.. Like a hobby. I am also a big in aviation and its funny on trips I take the majority of the pictures are at the airport or in the airplane

Old 09-15-2011, 11:54 PM

38,877 posts, read 20,171,745 times
I try to be considerate when I take photos but I definitely am a shutterbug when I travel ... I still enjoy looking through all the photos I've taken during previous trips and feel dissatisfied if I don't capture my memories on film. I guess photography is a hobby of mine which I enjoy immensely.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:54 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I also find it funny that now, everyone and their mother thinks they are a professional photographer. So many people are walking around with a 10 pound Nikon with lenses and everything else.

Thieves must love this new trend.
I get paid for taking photos and report that income to the IRS, which is why I refer to myself as a professional. If it makes you happy, call me an amatuer, it doesn't matter to me because I'm the one with the cash in my pocket.

By the way, my D300 with an 80-200mm zoom and battery grip works out to about six pounds.

As far as your "thieves" comment, my gear is all insured, but thanks for your concern.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:38 AM

3,111 posts, read 7,020,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I get paid for taking photos and report that income to the IRS, which is why I refer to myself as a professional. If it makes you happy, call me an amatuer, it doesn't matter to me because I'm the one with the cash in my pocket.

By the way, my D300 with an 80-200mm zoom and battery grip works out to about six pounds.

As far as your "thieves" comment, my gear is all insured, but thanks for your concern.
I'm not commenting on you specifically, and I am not a photographer.

However, in my travels I see many, many people lugging large cameras around who are clearly not pros.

Some lay down in the middle of a sidewalk during rush hour to take photos of buildings. Walk in the middle of a busy street to get a better shot, while ignoring cars.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,607,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
I'm not commenting on you specifically, and I am not a photographer.

However, in my travels I see many, many people lugging large cameras around who are clearly not pros.

Some lay down in the middle of a sidewalk during rush hour to take photos of buildings. Walk in the middle of a busy street to get a better shot, while ignoring cars.
I never go anyplace without a camera. However my walkaround camera of choice is a Nikon CoolPix that fits in my pocket. Doesn't have a vewifinder, whatever, it's easy to use, I can hand it off to someone else to take a photo without cringing, and frankly for everyday use the photos are just fine.

By the way, most if not all of the cameras in those photos you posted are "prosumer"--low level DSLR's marketed to an amatuer with an interest in photography as opposed to a pro willing to make a several thousand dollar investment into just a body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel