Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:01 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,932,096 times

Advertisements

Good travel agent for trip to Ireland?
Can anyone recommend a good travel agent for planning a trip to Ireland? We want a company that has agents who are knowledgeable about travel to that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,227,625 times
Ireland was so easy.
If you take a flight to Dublin & go to the regular tourist shop run by the city, you'll be able to travel anywhere you like. The sky's the limit.
I'd bet you could save a bundle doing it there, too.

I traveled solo last year and my sister took a tour.
I saw as much, had more time to go to theatre and hear live music than she did and I paid considerably less.
I also stayed in Dublin city and she stayed in Dun Laogherie on her tour (about an hour from town on bus).

Go to the library and get a travel book to get an idea of the itinerary you want. To get an idea, I'd pick up an Eyewitness Book on Ireland (photos and an easy read).
Customize your trip to your interests.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:29 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,733,922 times
What time of year did you go to Ireland? Wondering what fall would be like.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 PM

I was there in October, only rained once.
Remember, it never rains in a pub.

Accommodations are pricey. I found a nice b'n'b with http://www.airbnb.com - I paid 25€/night for a great place on a busline.
Right across from the Temple University is a tourist trip shop, another block from the university and left (across the street from the Starbucks) is a church that's also a tourist trip place. It's got everything you would want. Day trips, overnight trips, etc. Give it a shot.

You can get some cheap eats north of the river Liffey. Up about 3 blocks and to the left and then right is a good Indian restaurant with meals for about 5€; a very good one is Dehli O'Deli at 12 Moore St, Dublin. If you're vegetarian, try Vegetarian Restaurants, Vegan Restaurant, Natural Health Food Stores Guide by HappyCow to find great places to eat.

Temple Bar is just south of the Liffey and is the bar area. Lots of music and socializing.

You can't walk 100 meters without finding another book store.
The Dublin museum is great!

You're going to have a grand time!

Last edited by chielgirl; 04-04-2012 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,367,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Good travel agent for trip to Ireland?
Can anyone recommend a good travel agent for planning a trip to Ireland? We want a company that has agents who are knowledgeable about travel to that area.
Your idea of using a good travel agent is an excellent one. For some, planning and doing their own travel can be the best way, but why not let someone with knowledge of the industry and the destination help you with your plans. It costs absoulutely nothing to use an agent, you will save money most likely and yes, even might have a perk or two thrown in, it depends on the agent. If you email me personally I will give you the name of a company in Texas that should be able to help. I don't think it is proper or even acceptable to post information regarding companies on city data.

Nita

Old 04-05-2012, 01:28 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,689,812 times
While I don't disagree with Nita (Hi, Nita!) you should be aware that Ireland has the slickest and best-developed tourist office(s) of any country in Europe. Next time you see one of their many ads contact them and they will send you anything you want including a booklet that RATES the B&B's, which are all price controlled so you may as well go to a good one. Every little burg has a tourist office and they will make reservations for you for a small amount (used to be a punt.). Unless you've never travelled before I would skip the agent. Get a good guidebook and enjoy the planning. Have a wonderful trip. Oh, and October can be COLD so bring layers.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Your idea of using a good travel agent is an excellent one. For some, planning and doing their own travel can be the best way, but why not let someone with knowledge of the industry and the destination help you with your plans. It costs absoulutely nothing to use an agent, you will save money most likely and yes, even might have a perk or two thrown in, it depends on the agent. If you email me personally I will give you the name of a company in Texas that should be able to help. I don't think it is proper or even acceptable to post information regarding companies on city data.

Nita
Thanks. What the moderators have told me is that it is not acceptable to promote your own company on City-Data, but it is OK to respond to another post that asked for recommendations, as long as its not your own company you are recommending. but I will send you a DM.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:38 AM

CptnRn, I was cleaning up my podcasts last night and came across a few that you might be interested in.

Lonely Planet has a Dublin and Ireland podcast and "The Amateur Traveler" has some absolutely brilliant ones.
Amateur Traveler: AT #306 is Dublin, AT #304 is Circle of Kerry.
Rick Steves is sure to have some Ireland podcasts.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:05 AM

My thanks to everyone who has responded on this thread. You have provided some great tips. I'm going to search for those podcasts now.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:18 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,542,981 times
If you have any questions about Ireland then you can ask me and I will tell you everything I know. If you want to know good places to go or good places to eat just ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel