U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,137,111 times

Advertisements

Can someone help decide on a Mom and Adult Children vacation? They have never traveled the kids are mid 20's - twins. Want to take a plane flight and want something memorable and reasonably priced.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 10:18 PM

8,270 posts, read 6,159,137 times
Hawaii, if you can afford it. You aren't leaving the US but will get the (granted prepackaged) exotic experience.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:30 AM

1,238 posts, read 2,993,946 times
Puerto Rico. No passport required, and much cheaper flight than Hawaii. Old San Juan, El Yunque rainforest, beaches, exotic food, bioluminescent bay, moderate temperatures, caves, cities, whatever you want. Enough new experiences to feel foreign, but enough familiar things so it isn't complete culture shock. Everything from history to crazy nightlife to nature. US chain hotels or rent a house or historic hotels. All-inclusive or do it all yourself. Many different options!

Old 09-19-2011, 12:13 PM

11,280 posts, read 18,945,577 times
What would you consider paradise for yourself and kids? (ocean (cold or warm), pretty coast line, Beaches, Mtns, history, art, national parks...)

How long of a trip, what season of yr, and what is your budget?

I like San Antonio, but it sounds too close for you...

Depends on the kids and your desire, but I also really like San Diego, San Francisco (I stay at Ft Mason Hostel, VERY nice, right on wharf). $89 flights to Denver with mtns for Aspen colors, Utah National Parks / Grand Canyon. (can access CHEAP from Las Vegas)

I frequent New England (a bit late to go this yr)

Boston and Washington DC are good historical Cities.

Smokey Mtns nice in edge seasons.
(fall / spring)

WY is my personal favorite BUT... I like to drive and have wide open spaces.

I fly via SWA (~$39-$99 one-way. FREE BAGS, FREE Changes (you get full credits of first ticket for 1 yr)),
rent cars via priceline (~12/day),
eat via grocery store/ produce stands ($3/day),
and stay in private guest homes ($10/night)

Been traveling extensively for 30+yrs.

My first solo 'vacation' trip was to Black Hills via motorcycle. Circa 1970
I LOVE my guest home travels as you stay with locals and usually share meals / stories together. (warm bed & hot showers beats a tent hidden in the forest).

I have used directories from homeschoolers, church and social groups, retirement groups, educational travel groups ... You get a profile of host and accommodations. I choose a host that looks interesting. Many are college professors / artists / musicians / librarians. These places have really 'made' our family and personal trips interesting and special.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:58 PM

4,264 posts, read 6,896,460 times
Charleston, SC.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 PM

16,656 posts, read 13,902,136 times
New York City and one can stay in Long Island City, Queens (a short subway ride from Manhattan) for reasonably priced accommodations. There are plenty of free events in NYC and some of the major museums only have a suggested contribution (so you may what you wish for admission).

Old 09-21-2011, 03:17 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,204,736 times
Consider Washington DC or NYC - there are advantages to either. Washington is pretty and inexpensive once your air fair is paid. The Metro is clean and easy to use and gets you anywhere you might need to go - even the outskirts of the city. Manhattan is great too - be sure to use the city bus system as it's the same price as the subway but you are above ground and can see every thing. Those bus tours are way over priced. It's a great walking city with wonderful museums and don't let people tell you the food is very expensive. There are all price range restaurants and great small cafes for breakfast if it isn't included in your hotel. Hotels are expensive but we have always gone for just 4 nights and that seems like time enough to fit in alot. Going to a Broadway show is a must for us. You can get 1/2 price tickets at TKTS right in Times Square, for a matinee the box office opens at 10. Be there by 9:30. For the evening shows get in line about 1:30.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:19 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,204,736 times
Just wanted to mention - Stealth Rabbit - that it is still great weather here in New England. Today in Maine it is 70 and sunny, and foliage usually will be with us until mid Oct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel