U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:32 AM

212 posts, read 615,097 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to go on vacation in March or April. We have a 2 year old so family stuff to do at the destination is good. We live in Ohio, so I was looking for some place warm. We can fly or drive (within reason).
I don't travel much. what would the cut off be to get it in before spring break? I have a few places in mind but was looking for some suggestions. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Fly to San Diego, Mexico, or Florida

Drive to TX (Hill Country / Austin / San Antonio)
Or TN (knoxville / Chattanooga)

Old 09-21-2011, 02:10 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,610,484 times
Florida would be a good choice - Magic Kingdom in Orlando and from there you can easily drive a rental car over to spend a day or 2 at the ocean at Cocoa Beach. Spring break can differ depending on what area the students come from. One year we were at Clearwater Beach for a few days at the end of Feb. and beginning of March and they began piling in from the Minnesota area. I enjoyed the days we had before they got there as it got very crowded and noisy. I think your best bet would be Orlando with a 2 year old.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:08 PM

It's funny, cause the places I thought of first was Florida, of course, San Antonio and San Diego. We didn't want to do Disney yet but at least there's a lot to do in the Orlando area.

Thanks for some ideas!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:10 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,610,484 times
Yes there is alot to do in the Orlando area without going to the Disney theme Parks. We spent a day at Sea World and it was a bit less crowded and was relaxing. It has shows of some of the sea creatures. I especially liked seeing a walrus for the first time.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Two-year-olds are very easy to travel with. As for entertainment, everything is new to them, so even driving down a different street to the supermarket will be a new and fascinating experience, provided they sit high enough in the carseat to be able to see out.

There is no point in paying big bucks to take a 2-yo to a theme park, when there are so many funky places to take them near home, that would even be fascinating to an adult who is not yet completely jaded, and those are free. Go someplace that the parents want to go, and just make sure the whole trip is leisurely enough for Kiddo to have an event or two every day to look forward to or reminisce about.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,548 posts, read 39,934,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Two-year-olds are very easy to travel with. ... Go someplace that the parents want to go, and just make sure the whole trip is leisurely enough for Kiddo to have an event or two every day to look forward to or reminisce about.
Yes, very true.... This is a waning era in your life, and maybe the LAST vacation you get to Choose !!! for about 25 yrs.

Do something YOU want, and don't wear out the 2 yr old. They will remember the BIG stuff (airflight, McD playland, but not the details)

Have fun and RELAX (you probably need that). I would keep the 'going' / activities to a moderate to low level. I would think a beach house in Tampa area might be nice.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:44 PM

7,410 posts, read 12,943,331 times
Check out the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee (Great Smoky Mountains National Park (U.S. National Park Service)) and Gatlinburg (Smoky Mountains - Gatlinburg, TN - Gatlinburg, Tennessee - Gatlinburg Chamber of Commerce). There's plenty to see and do with a youngster in a stroller. Have seen a lot of them in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. The Gatlinburg area is a place that draws a crowd year round. Pretty soon tourists will start coming in to watch the leaves changing color on the mountains. We went 3 years ago and it was awesome! This is one place you want to drive to. That way you can see a lot more along the way down there. Not sure where in Ohio you are but I googled directions from Cincinatti and it's a 5 hr drive down I-75 through Knoxville.
Just scrolled back to your first post and noticed you said someplace warm. This might be a place to check on next spring or summer then.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:21 PM

2,907 posts, read 4,922,554 times
A year ago, when my daughter was 2.5, we flew from CO to San Diego for four days in April. SO much fun. SDZoo and Sea World and time at the beach which she probably liked the best and STILL talks about it weekly... highly recommend the beach in front of the Del Coronado for strolling and wading. Was so nice to see the ocean again for us adults. Stayed at Homewood Suites near Del Mar so we could have a 1 bed suite and have her in a separate room. Was pretty nice with small kitchen and included bfast which was great... good, fresh options for all of us and a godsend not to have to haul everybody out to find bfast before starting our day.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:23 AM

thanks all for more suggestions. I'm still undecided but have a coupld ideas, now it's just convincing the hubby. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel