U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 10:31 AM

6,034 posts, read 13,155,171 times

Advertisements

I haven't been there since I was a kid - so it might be totally different now - but I have very fond memories of childhood beach vacations in Ocean City Maryland...Ocean City Maryland - OC Maryland Vacation I do remember it being touristy, though. But I also remember the food was awesome and the area to be really charming... lots of history, too. We toured a giant ship... and it was the first time in my life I ever had bubble gum ice cream. I mean... bubble gum ice cream! Two of my favorite things in the world merged into one magic thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 03:04 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,622,461 times
I loved the Golden Isles of Georgia beaches, especially Jekyl Island. It was warm enough to swim the end of October the year we went. Most of the motels face the ocean. On St. Simon's Island some of them were a bit inland.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:40 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,556,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I haven't been there since I was a kid - so it might be totally different now - but I have very fond memories of childhood beach vacations in Ocean City Maryland...Ocean City Maryland - OC Maryland Vacation I do remember it being touristy, though. But I also remember the food was awesome and the area to be really charming... lots of history, too. We toured a giant ship... and it was the first time in my life I ever had bubble gum ice cream. I mean... bubble gum ice cream! Two of my favorite things in the world merged into one magic thing.
At the risk of messing with your good memories ...

... I was there just over a year ago. Might be a great place, if I were a kid. Food is all fast food, stores are all selling touristy trinkets. What I did like about it were the lifeguard museum and the boat trip to Assateague Island. I'm glad I saw it once, but I wouldn't bother to go back.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:31 PM

81 posts, read 212,270 times
If you were especially concerned about criteria numbers 1 through 4, then avoid Florida beaches at all costs!

Old 10-01-2011, 01:20 PM

9,239 posts, read 9,310,539 times
Quote:
Iíve decided that next year, I want a beach vacation. I havenít sat on a beach or swam in an ocean in over SIX years! So itís time. However, before you start inundating me with your most desirable locations, let me just give you a few pointers

1) Iím a middle-aged singleton who wants to lie on the sand with half a dozen good books, bottle of suntan lotion and a cold drink whilst being able to take a dip and not worry about my belongings being ripped off.
2) I want to stay as far away from the spring-break crowd as is humanly possible. Are there beaches on Mars ?
3) I want a location where I can sit on the beach without being hassled.
4) I want a location where I can get dinner or a drink without being hassled.
5) Being on a singletonís salary, I donít want it to cost the earth.
6) I donít care if the location is on mainland USA, one of the islands or even as far as Hawaii.
7) I would love to try somewhere like Molokai or Kauai but Iím not sure I can afford them unless you know different?
8) I donít care about going off-season. I donít care if itís a beach cottage or self-catering (ie: it doesn't have to be some huge hotel).
9) I would prefer non-kid places but itís not a deal breaker. (Hey, maybe I could rent a lighthouse for the week?)
10) If itís a place with some good sightseeing and activities like horse riding that would be awesome.
11) I donít have a beach bod so nudist beaches are TOTALLY out. (And why is it that people who really shouldnít, always seem to gravitate to these kinds of places?)

Not too much to ask, right?

I expect I would never find a place that includes all of these criteria, but as many as possible would be fantastic.

The major criteria you seem to articulate is that the beach not be crowded. I have been to many nice beaches in the continental USA, but unless you catch them on a week day off-season, crowding is often an issue.

One word for you: Hawaii

I would suggest you fly into Honolulu and rent a car. You want to drive to the opposite side of the island on State Road 83. Don't worry. Its the only road goes around the island. When you get to Laie, you can start looking. Look for a nice open beach between Laie, Kahuku, and Waialee. These will be uncrowded and are nice beaches. You may have to drive down the road to a gas station to get a can of pop. One other poster mentioned "Turtle Bay" which is not far from there. Its an excellent beach as well, but in my experience that one does get crowded. Its part of a hotel complex.

Good luck and have fun.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:51 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,571,428 times
Hawaii
Thailand
Bora Bora
Mexico
Carribean Islands - Many options

Old 10-01-2011, 04:25 PM

10,589 posts, read 14,384,024 times
If you don't mind planning your vacation for the summer and if fresh water is okay instead of salt water, maybe pop over to the Michigan forum and ask this question.
Plenty of nice sandy beaches, some are more touristy than others. Beachtowns - Pure Michigan Travel

Old 10-03-2011, 01:38 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,789,720 times
Come to Oahu and rent a condo in Ko'Olina. There are 4 lagoons that never get too crowded and horse back riding a couple miles away. Can't think of the reanches name right now, but they filmed parts of Jurassic park there.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:06 PM

6,034 posts, read 13,155,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Come to Oahu and rent a condo in Ko'Olina. There are 4 lagoons that never get too crowded and horse back riding a couple miles away. Can't think of the reanches name right now, but they filmed parts of Jurassic park there.
I think you're talking about Kualoa Ranch? In Ka'a'awa Valley? Near Chinaman's hat...

Old 10-04-2011, 10:05 AM

54 posts, read 171,474 times
Turks and Caicos for me. I lived in Florida for 8 years (Ft Walton Beach/Destin and Tampa), lived in California, been to Hawaii, Thailand, Malaysia and T & C has the nicest beaches/water I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel