U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:21 PM

2,469 posts, read 4,642,677 times

Advertisements

I often travel between SF and LA, and I-5 is the fastest. 101 is nicer but it takes 60-90 minutes longer.

One of the worst things about I-5 is the bathrooms, in the gas stations or the rest stops. Also the smell of cows and manure (on the highway, I mean).

I drive to Pasadena, which means I can go from the 5 to the 210 and then it's easy. If I took the 101, I have to travel through LA a lot more, and is more congested, is that right? I haven't used the 101 in a while.

Actually I vaguely remember that the northern top half of the 101 is slightly boring also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 10:39 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,821,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I often travel between SF and LA, and I-5 is the fastest. 101 is nicer but it takes 60-90 minutes longer.

One of the worst things about I-5 is the bathrooms, in the gas stations or the rest stops. Also the smell of cows and manure (on the highway, I mean).

I drive to Pasadena, which means I can go from the 5 to the 210 and then it's easy. If I took the 101, I have to travel through LA a lot more, and is more congested, is that right? I haven't used the 101 in a while.

Actually I vaguely remember that the northern top half of the 101 is slightly boring also.
Operating semi-trucks, I'm glad I'm not routinely sent up and down this freeway.
The segregated 55mph speed limit for trucks is bad enough, but then the crowds, the road-jarring, and as you said it, the bathrooms.

If I'm ever sent to Oregon with a load from SLC and reloaded/rerouted to AZ via the 5, I simply ask for another reroute that has me take the 5 down to the OR-58 to the 97 and eventually snake my way down to the 95 in Nevada.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:48 PM

81 posts, read 211,937 times
Been a while since in the vicinity of LA and SF on I-5. Doesn't look like it has gotten any better as far as traffic, smells, and bathrooms! Enjoyed going the scenic route down the Pacific Coast Highway.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:37 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,524,350 times
Are billboards still banned along the I-5? Sheesh, the one utterly boring highway in CA that could do with something besides roads and fields to look at, but nooooo ....

Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,981,012 times
I LOVE the I-5 route but it certainly isn't for everybody. I like the wide-open stretch through the valleys with my music blaring. The only part of it I don't like is the Grapevine. i was raised on a dairy farm, so the farm smell doesn't bother me at all.

We road trip to California a lot but never take 101 because we're always in a hurry. Road access to the coast within Oregon is a big pain in the ass.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:34 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,687,536 times
Waaa waaa waaaa geeze you guys sound like such babies, I-5 may be boring, but it is the fastest way to get from Nor Cal to So Cal, so you take your scenic route and I'll be there 2 hours before you.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:16 PM

3,376 posts, read 4,821,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Waaa waaa waaaa geeze you guys sound like such babies, I-5 may be boring, but it is the fastest way to get from Nor Cal to So Cal, so you take your scenic route and I'll be there 2 hours before you.
Fine, just don't let the boredom make you fall asleep and nosedive.

If I'm ever forced to go up or down it, I usually just take it at night.
This way, I have nothing but darkness to stare at and that's more pleasurable over featureless plain resembling Nebraska and Kansas.
Like the coasts, the farmland has its obvious importance and should be there by all means.
The only time you'll hear any whining from me is when I'm thrust into it.

Yeah, switch jobs and such, but this is the wrong time and wrong thread to bring that up!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 03:27 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,657,689 times
Quote:

Try the 99 down through Modesto and Fresno. You come out at the same place anyhow (Wheeler Ridge).

Old 09-24-2011, 05:22 PM

28,487 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Quote:
60-90 of the best minutes most people will ever have in their life.

And yet you find reason to whine about it.
You should be ashamed of yourself.
---

About the only way to improve on it is to make it an evening trip
with a layover in San Luis ideally on Thursday's for Farmers Market.

Stay at one of the cheaper motels near Grover and then you can stop at
Huckleberrys in Pismo for breakfast. Yumm

hth

Old 09-24-2011, 06:41 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,765,000 times
i make the trip a few times per year. not something i look forward to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or