Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,635 times

Advertisements

It seems just about everyone thinks Europe is more superior than other places. I was wondering if anyone thought the opposite and have no intention of going to Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 03:54 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,983,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrime View Post
It seems just about everyone thinks Europe is more superior than other places. I was wondering if anyone thought the opposite and have no intention of going to Europe.
Although I would LOVE to visit Europe some day, I personally prefer traveling within my own country, US ... Less of a hassle, diverse range of sights and things to do ... oh yeah ... It's cheaper.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:00 PM

13,979 posts, read 25,889,429 times
I would like to. My husband has no interest. But, we both agree that our vacation dollars are well spent in the Caribbean, so I have to live vicariously through others when they travel to Europe and beyond.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:41 PM

16,265 posts, read 43,077,286 times
I'm not particularly interested in Europe, but maybe because spent a year there, and got it out of my system.

Asia, on the other hand, I can never get enough of Asia.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:49 PM

16,375 posts, read 30,171,692 times
Quote:
If I were to travel overseas again, I would much rather go to Asia. I guess I like the difference in culture and the people come across as friendlier.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:29 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,043,691 times
Quote:

No, Europe is neither better nor worse than other continents, but people think it is great because:

- It's easier to travel and see many countries within the continent once you are there, if you have enough time. There are several discount airlines in Europe with airfares so low that the cost to fly from one country to another can be less expensive than the price of a good dinner. Besides flying, one can take the train or ferry in between countries, and then take the local train or bus once one is there. With enough research, anyone can travel through Europe inexpensively.

- Adding to the ease of transportation, almost half of Europe uses the same currency so currency exchange is no longer a big issue.

- Ancient culture and architecture are two other things that draw Americans to Europe. The US is a young country, so anything that reaches a century old is considered historic landmark. Not so in Europe. Most people there did not even blinked when they learned that our house was built in the 12th century -- why, the furniture in their houses was probably of the same age, what's so exceptional about that?

However, putting all of those reasons aside, a destination in your travel should be a personal choice, not because of what people say.

Most of Asia is of good value because the dollar goes a long way there.

Africa is still good for the adventurous soul.

South America is closer to home though not that inexpensive anymore.

Australia is good because it's both the old and new America, with bracing scenery and distances between places as endless as the Lewis and Clark expedition.

The US has plenty of attractions, landscapes and diverse communities for any traveller to spend his/her lifetime to learn, and you don't need a passport to see them.

Any place you wish to visit, whether it is within your own country or in another continent, you should ask yourself why you want to see it, and if the answer is because other people say it's superior, then you're not travelling for yourself but to impress or follow others, thus the trip is meaningless and not worth your money or effort.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 09-05-2011 at 06:46 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 07:25 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,467,412 times
I lived in europe for a few years, the minute I stopped of in Korea on the way home once however was the second last time I ever went to europre. I had to go back to england and quit my job, tie up a few loose ends etc, however ive never even thought about going back europe since.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-05-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 09-05-2011, 07:29 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,220,898 times
Spent two years in Europe and returned on business several times thereafter. Have absolutely no desire to ever return.

Sorry, just to many great places in the States to keep my vacation plans full.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:12 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,236,422 times
Quote:
Who says it is superior? Europe is close to the US east coast; we know a lot about it; we frequently have ancestors from there; it's similar to, yet different from, the States.

I love living in Europe but plan to spend most of my retirement in Asia. I've traveled to Asia over 20 times.

I depends on what people like or want. Personally, I find the US (except for its scenic wonders) to be quite boring. Same shops, same restaurants, same foods, etc.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:32 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,699,255 times
I've been to Europe four times and definitely want to return. Haven't seen Spain and Portugal. Alaska and China also on the bucket list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel