Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 09:10 AM

90 posts, read 188,277 times

Advertisements

I haven't flown in a few years but seem to recall them making it mandatory that name on ticket must match passport, but it was impossible if you had a long name like me due to limitations with various airlines rsvp systems.

Has this been relaxed at all? Someone told me that a middle initial is fine, and someone at Alaska Airlines said the same thing, but I still have concerns that the nitwits at TSA might not be on the same page.

Anybody know?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,592,513 times
My passport has a middle initial, and I never put that on my airline tickets. So far no problem.

BTW, do gripe to the airline about their limitations. I griped to the IRA once, many years ago, when they wrote us to ask wtf because my surname wasn't the same as my husband's. I pointed out to them that it was no longer the '50's and they had better get used to it! The year after, they had a separate space for each surname. I griped to the California DMV when they were lame enough not to own a hyphen, to accommodate my hyphenated surname. They quickly got hold of one. It pays to be vocal about issues.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:33 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
Does it help to call the airline direct and ask them to add your name to the ticket? If the agent can't do it perhaps they can at least make a note on your reservation as to why?

Old 09-29-2011, 10:40 AM

61,661 posts, read 87,041,175 times
My name is very long and does not fit on ticket. Its a very unusual name, and because 80% of it is in, they accepted it every time. Never had a problem. They check the ticket against your passport or driver license and compare you with the photo. I think in doubt they can check it on the computer where you did your purchase. Your name in their database is full and unaltered. Believe me, they know more about you than you think...

Old 09-29-2011, 11:35 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,982 times
My passport lists me as:
FIRSTname MIDDLEname MAIDENname MARRIEDname

It's a mouthful and no way does it fit on a boarding pass. My boarding pass just has FIRSTname MARRIEDname and no one has ever hassled me.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:57 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HometoGeorgia View Post
I haven't flown in a few years but seem to recall them making it mandatory that name on ticket must match passport, but it was impossible if you had a long name like me due to limitations with various airlines rsvp systems.

Has this been relaxed at all? Someone told me that a middle initial is fine, and someone at Alaska Airlines said the same thing, but I still have concerns that the nitwits at TSA might not be on the same page.

Anybody know?

Thanks.
Same PAGE????? I'd pray for the same BOOK.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,512,873 times
In the past, things like these were a sticking point with the TSA and caused more than a few people to miss their flights. People were being denied boarding because their ID may have something like Jr. and their boarding pass didnt, or the ID had a middle name spelled out and the boarding pass only had the initial.

Nowadays, things like that shouldn't stop you, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:05 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HometoGeorgia View Post

Anybody know?

Thanks.
TSA looks at official ID's (driver's license, whatever), it doesn't have to be a passport. TSA can care less about passports.

Delta always screws up my name by adding my middle initial to my first name without a space. Never a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel