Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:12 PM

633 posts, read 1,949,522 times

Advertisements

I was not sure were to post this, at first I was going to list it in health but I guess travel is more appropriate.

I am very worried about bed bugs my wife and I travel a bit and also have vacant land in NY state where we stay at a local motel. A thankfully we have never had a problem and it is not listed on the registry.

I hope this is not a conflict by posting the url and it seems to be the only one with listings I could find. The site is Bedbug Registry

I hope this helps with deciding on a travel location, so travel and sleep well.

BTW if you have an experience please post but also please post on the registry above.

Last edited by new jersey mike; 09-29-2011 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: Continued info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 05:51 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,849 times
I work at a hotel and have guests complain about bed bugs. Due to the mass hysteria of bed bugs (understandably) whenever a guest has any sort of bug bite or rash or sees a bug in their room, the gst automatically assumes that the room must be infested. However, the hotel is in the tropics where there are all sorts of bugs and lots of outdoor activities in which you may get bitten, the assumption of bed bugs is often wrong. However, whenever a guest accuses us of having bed bugs, we are required to call in pest control (an outside company). 99% of the time the bugs are not bed bugs. Some of the claims I see on this site regarding my hotel are inaccurate. I can tell by the room numbers and dates listed. SO please take this site with a grain of salt.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 AM

633 posts, read 1,949,522 times
I am going skiing this weekend and decided to use my own post and happy did not find the hotel I was going to.

At first the search by city did not complete loading, so as an alternative I just selected the map tab on top and then zoomed out and then over to the hunter, NY area and saw no listing in that area.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:30 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
I agree totally with MAR.....
remember please, that EVERY hotel, large or small, economy or luxery has had to deal with these lil critters.

HOW they deal with them is the key.
In OUR property, we have one engineer whose primary duty is operating the BB killer....[his nicname is now Buggsy]
IF there are complaints of BB's then contact the property and discuss how they deal with them.....

Old 02-09-2012, 09:39 AM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
We did a 2 month, 13,000 mile Road Trip this past summer, with 50+ nights in motels of varying species...

They ranged from a tiny dump in Mexican Hat, Utah to top of the line Fairmont Hotels & JW Marriotts,
and dozens of typical along the road brand, and no brand motels.

The bedbug thing crossed our minds, but we didn't take any rigorous precautions.

Never suffered a bite and, didn't bring any home with us.

I agree that any 'level' of accommodation can have them. I also feel the issue is blown out of proportion, in terms of one's chances of 'getting them'.
GL, mD

Old 02-09-2012, 10:25 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
I don't see how such a site could be accurate.... rooms can become infested with each guest and hotels can treat infestations.

My husband and I (and now our young daughter) travel alot, both domestic and international and (to my knowledge) have nver encountered bedbugs. They are pretty low on my list on concernd though....

I think I wrote this before (?) but staying in a hotel, in general, to me is like when I eat Costco hotdog for lunch - I can enjoy it only if I don't think about it overmuch.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
In other words, all the people who feel slighted by a desk clerk or did not get the upgrade that they are entitled to, will now have a place to express their displeasure.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:38 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
In other words, all the people who feel slighted by a desk clerk or did not get the upgrade that they are entitled to, will now have a place to express their displeasure.
I agree.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
I would never trust a registry and mainly for the reasons others have listed here. You've got to check for yourself and the best way to do that is to google an image of bedbugs and it will show the pictures of the bugs and the signs they leave behind. You need to lift up the bottom sheets and look under the mattress and along the seam of the mattress and any place a bedbug could hide and they will leave reddish brown spots on the mattress or under it. This should be done immediately--either before taking the room or right after you get into it. While you're looking you should put your bags in the tub or leave them outside the room. I have found signs of them a couple of times and have rejected the rooms and have never had a problem. I have never actually seen a bedbug--only the spots they leave behind so don't look for the bugs themselves to tell you if there are any.

Go to this link for more info and pix of what you're looking for: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef636.asp

Old 02-15-2012, 02:43 AM

384 posts, read 989,945 times
The bed bug registry is GREAT site and I am really glad it is there. In contrast to what a couple of poster's have stated - it is relatively easy to distingush between "normal" bug bites and bedbug bites ... just look up bedbug bites on the internet and see what they look like.

I travel a lot and have experienced bedbugs - it is not pleasent. I've also experienced the hotels lip service response to this unmistakable situation. The bedbug registry gives hotel guests a voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel