U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 09:11 AM

573 posts, read 1,712,336 times

Advertisements

At the beginning of last month I saw that the prices were around $200 plus. Then later on they changed to around $300. They changed back to around $200 later that month. This week they were around $100 plus. Today I'm looking at the prices and they are around $300 plus. Why the hell do these prices keep going up and down? How am I supposed to know when they will remain at a certain price? The flight will take place in 6 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:17 AM

9,126 posts, read 17,129,667 times
Supply & Demand,

Delta, (and all the other airlines) use computer programs that raise & lower the prices (based on the inventory of seats on that flight segment) , in reaction to dozens of factors.

There goal is to fill the plane with highest price tickets they can, but still not leave any seats empty (but still keep a few seats empty for Very high cost) last minute tickets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yield_management

Old 10-02-2011, 10:16 AM

9,126 posts, read 17,129,667 times
btw: when you saw them for ~100 you should have jumped on it, and bought then, IF they were around 200-300+, when it was $100 a few open seats inthat fare class that may have become re-open'ed due to other changing there schedules.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:40 AM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
Try the following link:

www.seatguru.com

Old 10-02-2011, 11:01 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,184,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Try the following link:

www.seatguru.com
What does seatguru have to do with this?

Every flight ticket prices is connected to a computer and prices will go up and down etc.. Based on tickets left, days left till departure etc.. Also they may move up and down when other airlines start a sale for the same route and things like that. 6 weeks in advance is a decent amount of time but there is a good chance prices will only go up now. I agree when they were high than you saw them lower thats the time to buy tickets dont go lower very often. Thats the way every airline works.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:26 AM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
At the beginning of last month I saw that the prices were around $200 plus. Then later on they changed to around $300. They changed back to around $200 later that month. This week they were around $100 plus. Today I'm looking at the prices and they are around $300 plus. Why the hell do these prices keep going up and down? How am I supposed to know when they will remain at a certain price? The flight will take place in 6 weeks.
Airfare prices change ALL the time and often the changes are very substantial.

When I am looking for cheap fares for flights coming up, I consult the biweekly updates from Airfarewatchdog which you can use to track the best deals FROM your favorite local airports AND the cheapest fares INTO your destination airport.

Airfare Deals - Cheap Flights - Airfarewatchdog

Old 10-02-2011, 11:49 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,224,622 times
Flights are 100% impossible to predict, unless you get into the obvious like making a prediction that "ticket prices will be higher the day of the flight than 3 weeks before".

I just hopped on a nice deal to Mumbai for $1600 this december. The price had been at 2000 for about 3 weeks now, and then randomly yesterday the price dropped to 1600 , i bought the ticket and now the price is back to 2000 dollars. To get a good deal, you just have to be ready to jump on the right price when you can. Gotta know when to hold out and when to buy.

Addition: jlawrence recommended airfare watchdog, and I will second that, it is a great site and really does give out nice deals.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:15 PM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I just hopped on a nice deal to Mumbai for $1600 this december. The price had been at 2000 for about 3 weeks now, and then randomly yesterday the price dropped to 1600 , i bought the ticket and now the price is back to 2000 dollars. To get a good deal, you just have to be ready to jump on the right price when you can. Gotta know when to hold out and when to buy.
To reiterate Burgler09's comments:

>>To get a good deal, you just have to be ready to jump on the right price when you can. Gotta know when to hold out and when to buy .<<

I have moderated several travel forums and answered DOZENS of PMs. Someone will find a SCREAMING GREAT DEAL like New York - San Francisco for $179 and want to know if they should buy it. Then, within hours, the deal is history as the seats are gone.

If you see a great deal, buy it NOW. For example, I was bored one night on the Southwest website and saw a $30 OW from Milwaukee to Las Vegas. That deal was booked in TWO minutes flat. My wife couldn't go but I sure did.

I had a friend find a Chicago-London flight for $450 around Christmas time. He refused to buy it as they were only $300 three years ago. DUDE, that was a hundred years ago.

One more thing. If you want cheap, you have to be flexible. I have friends who live five miles closer to O'Hare than Midway and will NOT make the change even for $200+ savings.

ALTERNATIVE airports can give you some GREAT deals. For example, I had a funeral in Cincinnati a couple of years ago. Chicago-Cincinnati was $599
last minute. Chicago-Louisville was only $299. $300 to drive 70 miles - not a bad trade-off.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,089,891 times
Quote:
What does seatguru have to do with this?
Because you can do a compare dates query across multiple airlines. Thus finding which days charge lower prices which can be hundreds of dollars by moving a depart/return date by one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel