Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:33 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Have you ever taken a trip that you regretted? (Not for reasons of some catastrophe that happened.)

Like, did you ever wish you had just stayed home, or gone somewhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 08:46 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Have you ever taken a trip that you regretted? (Not for reasons of some catastrophe that happened.)

Like, did you ever wish you had just stayed home, or gone somewhere else?
Yes.

I recently went on an Alaskan cruise through Carnival. I didn't really enjoy it at all. As time passes, I'm forcing myself to remember the good parts and not the bad/annoyances, but I know that when I was there I was definitely wishing I was somewhere else most of the time. Alaska is good if you enjoy picturesque scenery and nature. I don't really care. I was bored and the weather was crappy, so everything was that much less pleasant because we were getting soaked with rain the whole time. Blah. Also, the ship manager or whoever was CONSTANTLY making really long, rambling announcements; the guy was obviously in love with the sound of his own voice. Someone really should have told him to shut up because he was irritating a lot of the guests on board.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:58 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I, too, regret the last cruise we took. We have, over the years, taken several, starting in the 1980s. At first, every one was a special experience. We were never crowded, the shows were professional, the food was amazing.
The last one we went on was with a couple who had not been on one before, so we tried tried to help them choose what we thought would be very good. We took a big new Royal Caribbean cruise ship to the Caribbean. It was beautiful, but either we are too jaded now or else they have stopped being very good. The entertainment was fair, the pool was always crowded, the excursions were too crowded, they nickle and dime you for everything, etc.
I was sorry for our friends that this was the only cruise experience they had. I would sooner just stay home and drive 1/2 hour to the beach whenever I feel like it.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:16 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I, too, regret the last cruise we took. We have, over the years, taken several, starting in the 1980s. At first, every one was a special experience. We were never crowded, the shows were professional, the food was amazing.
The last one we went on was with a couple who had not been on one before, so we tried tried to help them choose what we thought would be very good. We took a big new Royal Caribbean cruise ship to the Caribbean. It was beautiful, but either we are too jaded now or else they have stopped being very good. The entertainment was fair, the pool was always crowded, the excursions were too crowded, they nickle and dime you for everything, etc.
I was sorry for our friends that this was the only cruise experience they had. I would sooner just stay home and drive 1/2 hour to the beach whenever I feel like it.
Yes! I had never been on a cruise before, but I was not all that thrilled with the experience. The excursions we went on, for the most part, were incredibly lame. The on board activities were worse. The shows were only good because they were so bad they were funny. My high school productions were more impressive and professional. I was really just disappointed with most aspects of the cruise. The food was good, but nothing better than what we could get in Chicago any day of the week.

I don't think I'll be going on a cruise again, at least not for awhile. Maybe if someday I have so much money that I can justify going on one of the smaller, all-inclusive type cruises, then I will try again. I definitely wouldn't go on another Carnival cruise. I still can't get over the on board "mix-master competition" that was completely pre-planned; the "contestants" didn't even mix the drinks or know what they were supposed to be mixing, they just danced around with shakers. So incredibly lame...

Old 10-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,224,977 times
Hmm... once I thought I did, but have since come to realize that I don't regret it.

I was planning a trip, deciding between Moscow/St. Petersburg, India or East Africa and in the end went to Moscow. The people weren't just rude, they were outright mean. I couldn't go to St. Petersburg because the woman at the ticket kiosk at the train station just didn't feel like selling tickets. I saw her dismiss people. Their attitude really got to me and I ended up going to the airport to have them change my ticket so I could go home early (first time that I have EVER left a vacation early,) but the woman there didn't want to do it for me.

While I would NEVER go to Russia again, I realize now that if I hadn't gone I would still want to go. In other words, I wanted that experience and now I have it. I got good stories out of it, I can say I did it and I have crossed it off my list of places to see before I die. In the end, I don't feel it's right of me to regret that trip.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Hmm... once I thought I did, but have since come to realize that I don't regret it.

I was planning a trip, deciding between Moscow/St. Petersburg, India or East Africa and in the end went to Moscow. The people weren't just rude, they were outright mean. I couldn't go to St. Petersburg because the woman at the ticket kiosk at the train station just didn't feel like selling tickets. I saw her dismiss people. Their attitude really got to me and I ended up going to the airport to have them change my ticket so I could go home early (first time that I have EVER left a vacation early,) but the woman there didn't want to do it for me.

While I would NEVER go to Russia again, I realize now that if I hadn't gone I would still want to go. In other words, I wanted that experience and now I have it. I got good stories out of it, I can say I did it and I have crossed it off my list of places to see before I die. In the end, I don't feel it's right of me to regret that trip.
That's crazy, are you sure you didn't actually go to France?

Moscow has always been on my to-do list and I have actually heard so many good things about it, your story really surprises me! Is that a common experience there?

Old 10-01-2011, 10:45 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
That's crazy, are you sure you didn't actually go to France?

Moscow has always been on my to-do list and I have actually heard so many good things about it, your story really surprises me! Is that a common experience there?
Believe it or not, my experiences with France have been nothing but positive. But then again, I speak French, which helps... a lot.

Honestly, if it's on your must see list, I would say do it. You may have a different experience.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:03 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
No, because I always plan my trips and make sure that I know what I want to do there. I also make plan B if something goes wrong. Since I also rent a car, I am mobile and can do other things. There is always something interesting to do, and I don't think that there is any boring place on the Earth. I do speak languages, but it doesn't matter if I do not speak the language of my destination.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:14 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
I couldn't go to St. Petersburg because the woman at the ticket kiosk at the train station just didn't feel like selling tickets. I saw her dismiss people.
Do you speak Russian? Since you saw that she was dismissing other people, maybe there was a good explanation to that, you just didn't got the info. Maybe there was some issue on the way between Moscow and St. Petersburg, and they were working on it, but the tickets were available few hours later or next day? Did you went to Information Center and asked about?
Obviously you were not singled out from that trip. Other people didn't buy the ticket either. Maybe that was not a bad attitude, but a miscommunication?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Do you speak Russian? Since you saw that she was dismissing other people, maybe there was a good explanation to that, you just didn't got the info. Maybe there was some issue on the way between Moscow and St. Petersburg, and they were working on it, but the tickets were available few hours later or next day? Did you went to Information Center and asked about?
Obviously you were not singled out from that trip. Other people didn't buy the ticket either. Maybe that was not a bad attitude, but a miscommunication?
I only know a few phrases, though I can read and write it. But no, the woman was waving people away. A janitor in the station tried to help out, taking me to someone else... who consequently also had that same "can-do" attitude as the kiosk woman did. Maybe the train had been canceled, postponed or whatever else... but beyond that situation, that was my experience with people in Moscow: street vendors, clerks, waiters/waitresses, some pedestrians, bus drivers, etc. Again though, I don't regret going, but I wouldn't go back based on my experience there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel