U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 04:18 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,660,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by niray View Post
Thanks all, will start keeping track of the weather from now on .

Come back and let us know how it went when you get to San Jose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 AM

6,064 posts, read 9,526,027 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the valuable suggestions.

There were lots of signage which suggested "Chain up" when I drove West to East last year, although it didn't matter to me since it was Fall.

I guess my next steps should be, having never used chains ever( have driven in snow), I will need to do 2 things:
1. Buy chains.
2. Practice putting them in the driveway to get used to putting them on.

Agree/Disagree? Anything else that I might be forgetting?
Alternately, if you've never driven in snow, don't even try. Stop at a motel and wait for the roads to be cleared.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 AM

8,566 posts, read 9,665,199 times
Colorado gets winter in west, winds in east; foot of snow could fall in parts of high country | The Republic

• The Associated Press
  • First Posted: October 06, 2011 - 7:54 am
    Last Updated: October 06, 2011 - 10:44 pm

Quote:
Forecasters warned of wintry weather over western Colorado on Thursday, while gusty winds buffeted the eastern side of the state.

Western Colorado was under a patchwork of advisories, including a freeze warning in the northwest and southwest corners and winter storm warnings or winter advisories in between.

So much snow was falling at higher elevations in southwest Colorado that Wolf Creek Ski Area said it would offer skiing Saturday and Sunday, with three of its lifts running. Resort officials will probably decide Saturday whether to keep going for the rest of the season, said Rosanne Pitcher, vice president of marketing and sales.

"We got this incredible storm. We have 3 feet so far, and it's still snowing," she said.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:53 PM

6,064 posts, read 9,526,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Colorado gets winter in west, winds in east; foot of snow could fall in parts of high country | The Republic

• The Associated Press
  • First Posted: October 06, 2011 - 7:54 am
    Last Updated: October 06, 2011 - 10:44 pm
Could be a good reason to re-consider the southern route suggested by jambo101, near the top of this thread. Or, by mid-November this snow could be cleared away.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:31 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,819,764 times
I-70 to I 57 to I 40, I-30 in Little Rock, I-20 in Dallas, I 10 in West Texas, west of Phoenix AZ 85 to I40, Ca 58 to I-5 and north to 152 and the 101. It may seem longer but my experience is that the difference is negligible.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:56 PM

318 posts, read 642,911 times
When I moved from San Jose to Bloomington IN several years ago, I started on I-80 but when I hit Colorado, I drove down to Denver and hooked up with I-70 by going on I-25 South (I think) and finished the drive on I-70.

I think I-80 all the way will be ok if you go in early November. Nebraska and Wyoming probably won't be bad in early November. If the weather does look bad though, think about I-70 west because it's a little farther south. Colorado could still pose problems, but probably not in November.

And good luck staying awake in Nevada and Utah...one of the most boring drives I've ever taken.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
When I moved from San Jose to Bloomington IN several years ago, I started on I-80 but when I hit Colorado, I drove down to Denver and hooked up with I-70 by going on I-25 South (I think) and finished the drive on I-70.

I think I-80 all the way will be ok if you go in early November. Nebraska and Wyoming probably won't be bad in early November. If the weather does look bad though, think about I-70 west because it's a little farther south. Colorado could still pose problems, but probably not in November.

And good luck staying awake in Nevada and Utah...one of the most boring drives I've ever taken.

Even in November, I would think I-70 west out of Denver would be a bad choice to avoid rough weather in Wyoming. It's much higher elevation and you have to get back to I-80 somehow or other. Usually, that would mean US-6 out of Green River, UT, which would end up taking you over three, high mountain passes (Loveland, Vail and Soldiers Summit). We're talking 9 or 10,000 ft. here.

And, it would be adding more than 200 miles to your trip.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 15,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Come back and let us know how it went when you get to San Jose.
Absolutely!

Old 10-13-2011, 02:44 PM

6 posts, read 15,591 times
Thanks everyone! and sorry for the delay in coming back to the thread. Finals, presentations, interviews etc going on.

Based on the discussions here, I'm thinking of staying away from the mountains & mountain passes as much as possible. Further it seems that the concern can be the wind driving snow on the ground or wind driving falling snow esp in Wyoming. Other than that it seems the roads are well taken care of, esp I-80.

Feels like adventure already!

Appreciate your answers. I have a few follow up questions:
  1. how to not fall asleep while driving in Utah and Nevada?(last time I drove I had a co driver)
  2. what to carry in the car for emergency? esp considering the weather
  3. If something needs to be done to "winterize" the car?

If I am forgetting anything please feel free to add.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone! and sorry for the delay in coming back to the thread. Finals, presentations, interviews etc going on.

Based on the discussions here, I'm thinking of staying away from the mountains & mountain passes as much as possible. Further it seems that the concern can be the wind driving snow on the ground or wind driving falling snow esp in Wyoming. Other than that it seems the roads are well taken care of, esp I-80.

Feels like adventure already!

Appreciate your answers. I have a few follow up questions:
  1. how to not fall asleep while driving in Utah and Nevada?(last time I drove I had a co driver)
  1. Uh...don't try to do it all at once. Stop in Wendover and gamble a little.

Seriously, if you get sleepy, stop. But, if you must press on, don't eat carbohydrates as a snack. They'll make you sleepy. Instead, load up on proteins.

But, the best way I've found to get through it is to speed....a lot. That keeps you on your toes.

Quote:
  2. what to carry in the car for emergency? esp considering the weather
  3. Nothing, really. It's not likely to get that bad that time of year. Just remember that there are places out in Wyoming where it's literally a hundred miles between towns, so just pay attention to the weather and plan accordingly.

Quote:
  4. If something needs to be done to "winterize" the car?
Just the standard stuff:

Change the oil
Examine and replace belts as needed
Inflate tires and replace if they're worn
Check the ant-freeze levels
Add a bottle of rubbing alcohol to the windshield washer tank. It'll prevent the water from freezing in the spray nozzles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or