U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 05:06 PM

6,063 posts, read 9,520,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by niray View Post
Thanks everyone! and sorry for the delay in coming back to the thread. Finals, presentations, interviews etc going on.

Based on the discussions here, I'm thinking of staying away from the mountains & mountain passes as much as possible. Further it seems that the concern can be the wind driving snow on the ground or wind driving falling snow esp in Wyoming. Other than that it seems the roads are well taken care of, esp I-80.

Feels like adventure already!

Appreciate your answers. I have a few follow up questions:
  1. how to not fall asleep while driving in Utah and Nevada?(last time I drove I had a co driver)
  2. what to carry in the car for emergency? esp considering the weather
  3. If something needs to be done to "winterize" the car?

If I am forgetting anything please feel free to add.

1: (Sorry, no advice to offer here. When I drove it, I had a passenger. And it was snowing. Sideways. I was not the least bit inclined to fall asleep.)

2: Carry a winter car emergency kit - An About.com Cars guide to winter driving
stuff that's pretty good to have with you anyway

3: Winterize Your Vehicle - Edmunds.com
but don't go overboard on it, especially if you drive the southern route. You won't need this kind of stuff in San Jose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 08:00 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,812,641 times
While we are on the subject, has anyone got a link to see which passes over the Sierras are snowed in. I wanted to use Tioga or Sonora the beginning of next month

Old 10-15-2011, 01:54 PM

6,063 posts, read 9,520,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
While we are on the subject, has anyone got a link to see which passes over the Sierras are snowed in. I wanted to use Tioga or Sonora the beginning of next month
California Department of Transportation..

There's a "Check Current Highway Conditions" box where you enter the highway numbers you're asking about. Looks like Tioga Pass is 120, and Sonora is 108.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 PM

318 posts, read 642,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Even in November, I would think I-70 west out of Denver would be a bad choice to avoid rough weather in Wyoming. It's much higher elevation and you have to get back to I-80 somehow or other. Usually, that would mean US-6 out of Green River, UT, which would end up taking you over three, high mountain passes (Loveland, Vail and Soldiers Summit). We're talking 9 or 10,000 ft. here.

And, it would be adding more than 200 miles to your trip.

I was talking about taking I-70 from IN to Denver, then switching to I-80 from Denver to San Jose. It's less than 100 miles more according to googlemaps. Having lived in both the Omaha area and in Kansas, I would prefer to tack on an extra 80 or so miles onto my trip in order to avoid driving thru Nebraska in November. Nebraska can have some pretty questionable weather starting in November. Kansas has less risk.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,652,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
I was talking about taking I-70 from IN to Denver, then switching to I-80 from Denver to San Jose. It's less than 100 miles more according to googlemaps. Having lived in both the Omaha area and in Kansas, I would prefer to tack on an extra 80 or so miles onto my trip in order to avoid driving thru Nebraska in November. Nebraska can have some pretty questionable weather starting in November. Kansas has less risk.

Yeah, that's an option, but I don't know what you'd gain. The geographical distance between I-70 and I-80 isn't but about 200 miles, or less, for most of the way west of Kansas City. The difference in weather won't typically be very extreme across distances like that, especially out there on that portion of the Great Plains. Since cold fronts tend to come down from the northwest that time of year, whatever weather you might run into in Nebraska will be about the same down in Kansas, only located a little farther west because of how fronts tail out to the southwest.

In any case, in mid-November, elevation is your biggest weather enemy. The higher you are, the more likely it is to snow and the difference in elevation between I-70 and I-80, which runs through the Platte River Valley in Nebraska, isn't very much. For instance, the difference in elevation between Salina, KS and York, NE is only 400 feet.

Wyoming and the Sierra Mountains in California will still be your biggest challenges either way you go. It may also snow in the higher elevations of the Wasatch Front in Utah, but that's easily avoided by taking I-84 through the mountains toward Ogden, then going south on US-89 to I-15 south, which will take you back to I-80 without going over Parley's Summit, or any summit for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or