U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2011, 06:51 PM

93 posts, read 282,319 times

Advertisements

Hello I was wondering if two weeks would be long enough time to travel to Europe. I was planning on flying to London spending about 3 days there and then taking a train to Paris and spending 3 days there. Then from Paris I was going to visit a friend in Freiburg, Germany. Then I wanted to spend the last few days in Italy. I have a friend in Parma Italy and definitely wanted to visit Rome and Venice. I am not a very picky person and I know that I CANNOT see everything. I will be happy if in London I can see Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Tower of London and Westminster Abbey. In Paris I want to see Notre Dame and of course the Eiffel Tower and the Arch thingy. Germany I am not really sure what to see I mainly want to visit my friend and let her show me around. In Italy I must see the Colosseum and the Pantheon and what ever else my friend wants to show me. Those are my only musts and I am sure I am missing a lot. I was just wonder if that was all do able in about 2 weeks. I was planning on using train to travel between the countries I think I can buy a Europass. Does all this seem doable? Any suggestions are appreciated. This is my first trip to Europe and my first trip outside the states other than Canada. I am not going until July-August of next year so I have plenty of time to plan. Thanks ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 02:21 AM

14,259 posts, read 14,147,026 times
It sounds do-able though the Italian part may be pretty hectic.

Rome will probably be very busy and Venice, which I love, will also be very crowded and maybe smelly at that time of year.

Re London you may have to pre-book your visit to Buckingham Palace.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:28 AM

93 posts, read 282,319 times
Thanks for the reply.
Any other suggestions?

Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM

28,500 posts, read 62,217,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureblood View Post
Any other suggestions?
Yeah... Don't think you have to reinvent the wheel.
Or try to do too much on one trip. One trip will never be enough.
---

The best experience, suggestions and approaches are almost all free:
Rick Steves' Europe: Tours, Trip Planning, Travel Guides and Information

watch some (PBS) video
Rick Steves' Europe: Rick on TV

When you are ready to pay for some help...
get the right guidebook

hth

Old 10-13-2011, 01:33 PM

5,697 posts, read 8,607,225 times
sure, def doable...The Eurostar between London and Paris is fine as it leaves from St. Pancras and arrives right in Gare du Nord in the center of Paris..very convenient but it's quite pricey... you could take a discount flight but it will leave from Stansted or Luton airports and then arrive in Orly which requires a trip on the RER to get back into Paris so many hours lost from your tight schedule.

but from there to Italy I would book an Easyjet flight to save time, that's exactly what I did a few years ago.

Trains within Italy are good and plentiful so no issues there. Easyjet flies out of Marco Polo airport in Venice back to London.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:08 AM

737 posts, read 2,249,863 times
Definitely do-able BUT I believe that once you go, you'll go back. Maybe scale back a bit and get one or both of the two friends to meet you in Paris or London. They just might need that excuse to travel a little.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,912,934 times
Good trip for you!

As noted below....2 weeks would never be enough. I did my first Europe trip in 2 weeks and cut locations down quite a bit right before leaving.....you don't want to be exhausted just so you can say you saw this or that.

For instance: we did Paris several days, then OVERNIGHT train to Italy (cool experience and no lost time sleeping ) then spent most of the time in Rome and Florence; train back to Paris for last day or so.

To cover more than one or two countries can be done but to be so harried you don't relax and enjoy, to me, is not worth it.

You will figure it out.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:01 AM
JL

7,354 posts, read 11,888,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureblood View Post
Hello I was wondering if two weeks would be long enough time to travel to Europe. I was planning on flying to London spending about 3 days there and then taking a train to Paris and spending 3 days there. Then from Paris I was going to visit a friend in Freiburg, Germany. Then I wanted to spend the last few days in Italy. I have a friend in Parma Italy and definitely wanted to visit Rome and Venice. I am not a very picky person and I know that I CANNOT see everything. I will be happy if in London I can see Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Tower of London and Westminster Abbey. In Paris I want to see Notre Dame and of course the Eiffel Tower and the Arch thingy. Germany I am not really sure what to see I mainly want to visit my friend and let her show me around. In Italy I must see the Colosseum and the Pantheon and what ever else my friend wants to show me. Those are my only musts and I am sure I am missing a lot. I was just wonder if that was all do able in about 2 weeks. I was planning on using train to travel between the countries I think I can buy a Europass. Does all this seem doable? Any suggestions are appreciated. This is my first trip to Europe and my first trip outside the states other than Canada. I am not going until July-August of next year so I have plenty of time to plan. Thanks ahead of time.
Since i was only in Spain just recently, i can't speak about the other cities throughout Europe, but i should've limited the # of cities for visit to thoroughly enjoy it more. For nine days, i travelled and stayed in Madrid, Sevilla, Granada, and Barcelona. If i had to do it all over again, i would just go to either Barcelona and Madrid OR Sevilla and Granada and not all four cities. There was still quite a bit of things to do that my time would not permit.

As far as trains, the AVE high speed train was a great experience. Something everyone should do at least once. I also took the trenhotel(slept overnight) from Granada to Barcelona and that wasn't pleasant. The cabin is really cramped and the moving train noise was annoying. I am a light sleeper, so it made the journey(11hrs) difficult. It also sways when going around corners. I would avoid it, but if you want to experience this at least once...it should be fine. It wasn't cheap though. Next time i will fly RyanAir or something.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:20 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,099,488 times
hi hope this clip may help you, l'd ad to you try to rent a little row boat max 4 mt---12 feet?? and go throw the unknow little rivers around the big islands there are alot of lil islands full of arkeologycal amazing surprises

becareful do not lose the way to retourn at home..........or you will become a sort of new ...Robinson Crusuč.. alone in a lil Venice lagoon desert island

also you can choise the Aeternam urbe.......wide open eyes......any kind of criminals are waiting for

Last edited by miticoman; 10-21-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 10-22-2011, 10:45 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
If I had only two weeks to "see" Europe, I'd fly to Venice, then make a circle trip through Innsbruck, Salzburg, Ljubjana and someplace like Opatija. I'd see a great cultural center, I'd see the Romance, Germanic and Slavic countries, and I'd see the Adriatic coast and the Alps.

Total ground distance only about 1,000 km, with total train fares about $200. That would be affordable even in a rental car, using only about 20 gallons of gas (= $200). You'd need the car, useless in Venice, for only about a 10-day rental (about $300). So a car for two people would cost only a little more than the train, and would leave you free to explore. You could also grocery-shop and easily carry food with you, substantially cutting down your cost of eating. And overnight at very cheap country inns and farmhouse zimmers.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-22-2011 at 11:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or