U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 07:26 AM

32 posts, read 60,646 times

Advertisements

Is using travelocity.com for booking a multi-stop domestic flight with a codeshare airline a bad idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 07:31 AM

15,784 posts, read 9,529,458 times
I just did multiple stop flights with code share airlines on an international trip using Expedia. I've used various online booking agents for domestic or international flights like that and never had a problem.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:35 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,331,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uluapark View Post
Is using travelocity.com for booking a multi-stop domestic flight with a codeshare airline a bad idea?
We looked at doing multi-stop for an upcoming trip to Europe and found little difference in doing it via Expedia/Travelocity or by a specific airline. We have used multi-stop with British Airways before and found it to be price attractive and convenient. I generally like to book with the airline directly and usually find little difference in the best airline price compared to the Expedia/Travelocity price.

However, for this next trip we found that multi-stop was outrageously expensive and ended up buying three round trip tickets rather than doing multi-stop.

PHX - AMS - PHX
AMS - GVA - AMS
AMS - GLA - AMS

Instead of:

PHX - AMS - GVA - GLA - PHX

So we are essentially using Amsterdam as our European "hub". The other thing we found is that, depending on the airline (e.g. KLM), one way tickets are far more expensive than round trip tickets. It can be cheaper to buy the round trip and throw half of it away.

So, I would advise taking some time and working through the different options for your trip.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,231,737 times
I will almost always book through the airline itsself, but honestly I don't think there's a huge benefit either way. Basically, if you aren't worried about miles, just go with what you find the best deal on. Orbitz and other 3rd party sites will get the best multi city deals because they can book through such a wide variety of airlines.

Don't negate going through airlines directly though, most have a multi city option.

In my opinion, just go with whatever is cheapest, if you go with big names, no one will be out there to rip you off and chances are you'll wind up happy with whatever you choose; so make the cheapest choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or