U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 04:34 PM

15,779 posts, read 9,525,551 times

Advertisements

Fun seeing your pics - makes me want to go back and look through ours...and maybe actually work on that scrapbook I always meant to do Interesting that the guy said not to go on Wednesdays - the fact that they clean it and let it re-acclimate on Tuesday is exactly why we went Wednesday morning. It was so great that we went back on other days and, in our experience, Wednesday was definitely the best because it was clearest. Every day was somewhat crowded but really not too bad. Looks like you had a good day as far as crowds too - some nice shots of the bay there - thanks for sharing! How did you like Honolulu/Waikiki? Besides HBay we didn't like the city itself very much - nor the city beach (although it was a far nicer beach than most city beaches.) BTW, most (maybe all) beaches throughout the US are public - they can be difficult to get to but they can't make you leave if you make it there. That's definitely the case in California and Florida - lots of people are unaware of that, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 05:53 PM

491 posts, read 1,331,504 times
Default Driving to Polynesian cultural center from Hanauma bay

Kalanianaole Highway, Oahu

This was one of my favorite drives in Hawaii, I liked it even better than the drive in Honoapiilani Highway, Lahaina, Maui,HI

I think the big rock island in the background is the Manana Island State Seabird Sanctuary

Got a quick bite to eat at the shrimp trucks

PCC, we bought the entire tour, lua dinner, and show. It was a bit expensive. If I were to do it again, I don't think I'd do the lua dinner and just spend the money at a 5 star restuarant. We came late and missed the tour as well but you have 2 weeks to do it but we never came back. Cameras were not allowed in the show. Most of the show was in the native Hawaiian language. I thought the show was decent but I also noticed that the group of people behind us left at intermission.

Lua Dinner

Old 10-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Fun seeing your pics - makes me want to go back and look through ours...and maybe actually work on that scrapbook I always meant to do Interesting that the guy said not to go on Wednesdays - the fact that they clean it and let it re-acclimate on Tuesday is exactly why we went Wednesday morning. It was so great that we went back on other days and, in our experience, Wednesday was definitely the best because it was clearest. Every day was somewhat crowded but really not too bad. Looks like you had a good day as far as crowds too - some nice shots of the bay there - thanks for sharing! How did you like Honolulu/Waikiki? Besides HBay we didn't like the city itself very much - nor the city beach (although it was a far nicer beach than most city beaches.) BTW, most (maybe all) beaches throughout the US are public - they can be difficult to get to but they can't make you leave if you make it there. That's definitely the case in California and Florida - lots of people are unaware of that, though.
We're use to the city so, Waikiki area was perfect for us. We loved the Waikiki area. Other parts of Honolulu were a bit sketchy, but overall we loved Oahu. You just have to be careful on which beach you go to because there are some sketchy people that target the tourist cars and break in or bash the windows. I did notice some homeless people on Waikiki on Kalakaua Ave.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:09 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,769,243 times
Haleakala on Maui, other than that mostly beautiful scenery, as you have posted. The Polynesian Cultural center was interesting, and not commercial, more like history of the native people, water performances etc. It is near North Beach.

Honolulu stayed at the Ohana which is great walking distance to Waikiki and all shopping, plus excellent dining....sushi at Sheraton on the ocean was good. Honolulu is more like NYC walkable, etc....

havent made it to the big islandbut hope to someday.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 PM

15,779 posts, read 9,525,551 times
We stayed at one of the Ohana hotels also - plus another that I forget the name of right now but it was really nice and sort of funky. I found Honolulu to be really poorly planned for driving and much more like a Florida city than a northern or even midwest city. I'm a city girl but Honolulu was just blah - probably because it's so heavily geared toward tourism/consumerism - unlike bigger cities that can incorporate tourism without having it take over.

If you get a chance to visit the Big Island I encourage you to - it is lush and has so much to see and do. The Volcano park is an experience like no other and well worth the visit.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:37 AM

One of my favorite beaches, Lanikai Beach in Oahu. It's much more beautiful in person.

Dole Plantation. I expected more, to be honest I thought it was quite boring and not worth the drive and time.

Oxidized iron rich soil, great for growing pineapples

I think these were mangoes if I'm not mistaken.

Train ride to the plantation

Koi fish going nuts when you feed them at Dole Plantation.

The USS Arizona Memorial, one of the best things to see in Oahu. It serves as a reminder of the sacrifice and commitment of the brave crew.

Oil is still leaking from the ship even after almost 70 years.

Honolua Bay, Maui
This place is a bit difficult to find because it's hidden and there's not enough parking. Parking is on dirt side road. You have to walk through a jungle like vegetation to get to the bay and end up in someone's property, so it looks a bit sketchy. You'll be greeted by roosters and cats and kittens along the way. There's a big sign from the homeowner that says not to put sun screen cause supposedly the oil kills the reef.

It's very rocky, so it's not a place for laying out. We didn't bring our own snorkel gear and just left after 30min. It's really for snorkeling.

At last we find the bay. It's a rocky Beach

Private property next to the bay

Greeted by roosters

Another kitten, probably one of the home owners kitty. It's sad to see people just dump their coolers, bottles, garbage near the beaches.

Wailea,Maui

Beach at the Four Season's

Beach at the Fairmont

These guys are just having a blast.

Up for a quick breath.

Million dollar homes with million dollar views in the background.

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/7950/img3799.jpg (broken link)
Shopping in Wailea

Windmills in Maui
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or