Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 AM

491 posts, read 1,651,883 times

Advertisements

Posted this in the Hawaii forum, but may get some help here as well.
Going To Honolulu and Maui next week. Did some search on this forum so, I have some ideas already lined up.
Will hit the beaches for sure. Can anyone recommend places to hike and maybe see waterfalls and such in these two islands.
I heard there's a nude beach on Maui as well.....not that I'm going there

We're big on eating, so can anyone recommend great places (great hole in the wall places and also a nice fancy place) for breakfast/brunch, lunch, and dinner on both islands. I love sushi, so I'm looking forward to going to a great japanese restaurant or sushi bar.

Not sure about restaurants in Honolulu yet but in Maui, we're thinking of Mama's Fishhouse, the Hali'imaile General Store, and not sure yet but maybe splurge at the Four Season's.

List to do:
Oahu
Pearl Harbor
??Bishop Museum
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Mall
Diamond Head
Skip Honolulu Auqarium since Maui Ocean Center is better.
Polynesian Cultureal Center- check out Tahitian Pearls
Hananuma Bay- snorkel
Lanai beach-Magnum PI house, hhehehehehe

North Shore- surfers and Sunset
Shrimp trucks at North Shore
??Kuokula Ranch- movie set tour

Maui
Lahaina-shopping and eating- Front street...
Lahaina Canery mall- free hula shows Tues/Thurs
Whalers Village- shopping/free hula shows 7-9pm Mon, Wed, Sat
Baldwin Museum
Iao Valley
Haleakala Summit/sunrise
Kula Lavender Farms
Paia- Momma's fishhouse
Shops at Wailea

Wailea beaches-Ula, Makena, Big Beach, Little Beach, Turtle City
Kihei-eateries/restaurants- Da Kitchen, Cafe O'lei, Fat Boy Burger, Kamaloe beaches, Cove Beach
Wailuku- Tropical plantation, ??Queens' Mall, ??Maui Mall

Maalea-Maui Oean Center, Buzzards Wharf

Beach-black,white, gray, red, green

Anyone else with suggestions? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 05:49 AM

167 posts, read 470,104 times
We did the "Home of the Brave" tour last month on Oahu and enjoyed it.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:10 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Sorry to be picky but, you're going to the islands of Oahu and Maui - (Honolulu is just a city on Oahu.)

I haven't been to Maui but my friend vacations there all the time. I think she recommended a snorkel tour out to Turtle Bay (not positive that's what it's called - will check if I have a note somewhere about it.)

As for Oahu...

If you go to Hanauma Bay I recommend going first thing Wednesday morning. They close the Bay on Tuesdays so Wednesday morning really is the only time it's clear and you can see some amazing fish even on the calm, inside portion of the bay. We went on a Wed and Thurs morning and the difference was astounding - it gets really cloudy/murky in the water from everyone kicking up coral and sand.

Pearl Harbor to see the Arizona and the Mighty Mo is a must, IMO

I'd also recommend the spectacular drive up the east coast to the North shore. The view when you first come through the tunnel crossing over to the east coast is breathtaking. We stopped for lunch at a tasty little BBQ joint on the east coast - I think it was called Uncle Bob's. Up on the North Shore we stopped at Turtle beach - tons of turtles! Also saw Sunset Beach, Waimea Bay - kids cliff diving - surfers.

On Oahu, you'll have to get shave ice at least once. The two biggies are up on the North Shore but we enjoyed the one we had in Honolulu near Leonard's Malasada shop (donuts - get some!) Get your shave ice with ice cream and whatever flavorings you want - it tastes like a dreamsicle - so good!

Hope the weather is perfect for you - have fun!

Also - if you aren't bringing all your own snorkel gear I'd recommend renting from Snorkel Bob's. You can rent o one island and return on another - rentals for a few days or over a week. We brought out own masks and snorkel and rented fins there.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:19 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
check out House Without a Key at the Halekalani Hotel for a wonderful sunset dining experience on Waikiki Beach

Halekulani Hotel - Dining - House Without a Key

Old 10-11-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotwein View Post
We did the "Home of the Brave" tour last month on Oahu and enjoyed it.
We'll have to check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Sorry to be picky but, you're going to the islands of Oahu and Maui - (Honolulu is just a city on Oahu.)

I haven't been to Maui but my friend vacations there all the time. I think she recommended a snorkel tour out to Turtle Bay (not positive that's what it's called - will check if I have a note somewhere about it.)

As for Oahu...

If you go to Hanauma Bay I recommend going first thing Wednesday morning. They close the Bay on Tuesdays so Wednesday morning really is the only time it's clear and you can see some amazing fish even on the calm, inside portion of the bay. We went on a Wed and Thurs morning and the difference was astounding - it gets really cloudy/murky in the water from everyone kicking up coral and sand.

Pearl Harbor to see the Arizona and the Mighty Mo is a must, IMO

I'd also recommend the spectacular drive up the east coast to the North shore. The view when you first come through the tunnel crossing over to the east coast is breathtaking. We stopped for lunch at a tasty little BBQ joint on the east coast - I think it was called Uncle Bob's. Up on the North Shore we stopped at Turtle beach - tons of turtles! Also saw Sunset Beach, Waimea Bay - kids cliff diving - surfers.

On Oahu, you'll have to get shave ice at least once. The two biggies are up on the North Shore but we enjoyed the one we had in Honolulu near Leonard's Malasada shop (donuts - get some!) Get your shave ice with ice cream and whatever flavorings you want - it tastes like a dreamsicle - so good!

Hope the weather is perfect for you - have fun!

Also - if you aren't bringing all your own snorkel gear I'd recommend renting from Snorkel Bob's. You can rent o one island and return on another - rentals for a few days or over a week. We brought out own masks and snorkel and rented fins there.
Yes, you are correct, Oahu is the island, I guess I didn't make it clear based on the title of the thread.
Based on our schedule, we might have to go snorkeling on the weekends and we'll just buy our equipment there and bring it to Maui.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
check out House Without a Key at the Halekalani Hotel for a wonderful sunset dining experience on Waikiki Beach

Halekulani Hotel - Dining - House Without a Key
Ghengis, how much would you say is a typical dinner on average per person. It sounds like a nice place. We're also looking into the Royal Hawaiian (the Pink hotel).

Old 10-11-2011, 09:55 AM

10 posts, read 23,832 times
Don't forget the Road to Hana. Also we went to Haleakala for sunset instead of sunrise - really very beautiful, no crowds and we didn't need to get up in the middle of the night to get there.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryH42290 View Post
Don't forget the Road to Hana. Also we went to Haleakala for sunset instead of sunrise - really very beautiful, no crowds and we didn't need to get up in the middle of the night to get there.
How was the drive on the Road to Hana? I heard it can be quite freightening if you are driving at night and can be very narrow.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:43 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,394,270 times
I've only been to Oahu (7 times?, lost count) Anyway - your list seems pretty good to me...

I really enjoy Kualua Ranch - although I don't think the Movie tour is the greatest, I'd do the ATV thing or horseback riding instead - be forewarned both book up pretty quick.

We've also done the North Shore Shark Dive - great photo ops...

Old 10-11-2011, 12:10 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Ghengis, how much would you say is a typical dinner on average per person. It sounds like a nice place. We're also looking into the Royal Hawaiian (the Pink hotel).
They do have a lunch and dinner menu posted on torwards the bottom of that link page with prices. I would guess a meal with drinks and tip would push $100/pp, but we just had hors d'oeuvres and a couple of drinks and felt no pressure from them to either order more or clear out as we were content to sit and watch the music show. We were lucky to be there when they had one of the former Miss Hawaiis accompanying them (IIRC a Saturday). I think our total tab with 2 or 3 drinks each and a plate of coconaut shrimp was around $70. We were probably there close to 90 minutes or more. Great view of the sunset going on behind the musicians and diamond head off to the left.

Much more subdued atmosphere than the RH though either is a great experience, why not do both as they are very close to each other. You can enter the RH from the beach but you will want to enter the HWAK from the front.

Last edited by Ghengis; 10-11-2011 at 01:22 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 12:35 PM

355 posts, read 1,115,460 times
On Maui we ate at Japengo (@ the Hyatt Regency) and the sushi was AWESOME We also had a very nice dinner at the Melting Pot across from the (Canary?) mall off the main highway...The Feast at Lele was also a treat (luau) - very good food and drinks

Ahh, how I miss Maui....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel