U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 10:51 PM

38,876 posts, read 20,168,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
And what happens in that toilet is out of order on the flight? I think there should be at least 2 toilets available.
NO kidding! Let's just hope someone doesn't get the runs while on this flight either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I heard that kind of "stand-up" seats were being developed for passenger planes.
If folks have to keep their seatbelts fastened during takeoff, landing and turbulence, how can an airline successfully get standing seats approved by the FDA?

Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 PM

21,367 posts, read 24,109,773 times
Quote:
If folks have to keep their seatbelts fastened during takeoff, landing and turbulence, how can an airline successfully get standing seats approved by the FDA?
First you meant the FAA. Overhead compartments would be removed. Its designed to be a leaning standing area with a place to place your buttocks on to take the stress off of your legs.

Ryanair to sell £5 tickets for standing-room only flights - Telegraph

Old 10-22-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
First you meant the FAA. Overhead compartments would be removed. Its designed to be a leaning standing area with a place to place your buttocks on to take the stress off of your legs.

Ryanair to sell £5 tickets for standing-room only flights - Telegraph
LOL! Yeah ... I meant the FAA not the FDA!

Old 10-23-2011, 12:04 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,588,610 times
Quote:
I heard that kind of "stand-up" seats were being developed for passenger planes.
That "news" was first tossed around in 2007 when we still lived in Europe. It was brought back every year or so just for publicity. Nothing was actually being developed.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:45 AM

187,012 posts, read 76,911,148 times
Just put a catheter for every seat with a dump tube going out the side and hope it rains on the plane before landing. That would free up the one restroom for the more serious business.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:44 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,830,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Most airlines do on short haul flights in business/first class (mostly similar to a box lunch) and you get all the free alcohol you can drink while you're still on the tarmac.

But hey this is Ryan thus no such class exists. So if they are thinking about removing the rear toilets, they might as well remove the rear doors and the rear galley. That should give them at most 15 additional seats.
I travel on more than RyanAir and I'll disagree with you.
Do you travel via air in Europe?
Even in the US, you might get a drink and nothing else for a short duration flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I used Ryanair only once, and I paid 100$ per person to fly Paris -Barcelona : exactly the same price as on Iberia! and they refused to board us on the flight back because we didn't have our luggage (it had been stolen)
RYANAIR = THUGS
I find this hard to believe.
When I lived near the Frankfurt/Hahn RyanAir airport, we'd fly to Pisa for lunch with no luggage as we were flying back the same day.
You're traveling with a carry-on most of the time.

Why didn't you fly Iberia then?

I don't particularly like RyanAir, but for the prices, I can't complain.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:49 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,926,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post

No, it's not "a few Euro more". It's often hundreds of Euro more.

Free food? Who gives free food on flights less than 2 hours in duration? Not BA, not Lufthansa, not any airlines in the States, unless you count water, soft drink or coffee (sometimes without peanuts) as nourishments.
Yes, it is just a few more Euros. Last summer I went to London. Flying from Frankfurt to London with Lufthansa was 80 Euros. The Ryanair flight would've been around 60 Euros. Bus ticket from Frankfurt to Frankfurt Hahn around 15 Euros one way. The tube from Heathrow to central London is cheaper than the busses from Stansted to central London. Bottom line: Lufthansa was actually a way better deal.
This winter I want to fly out to Barcelona for a few days. Lufthansa or Air France cost around 190 Euros. Ryanair for the same dates: 120 Euros. Again, both airports in the middle of nowhere, requiring a lot of hassle.
This might be different for someone who lives close to a Ryanair airport and far away from another major airport, but for me, in 75% of all cases it is NOT worth to fly with Ryanair and even if i saved 10 Euros I'd prefer to take one of the traditional airlines since they have at least somewhat of a customer service.

And yes, Lufthansa has free food on 2 hr flights unless that has changed over the last three months, which is when I last took a LH flight. It is nothing great, just a sandwich. But appreciated.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:07 AM

24,639 posts, read 24,830,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Yes, it is just a few more Euros. Last summer I went to London. Flying from Frankfurt to London with Lufthansa was 80 Euros. The Ryanair flight would've been around 60 Euros. Bus ticket from Frankfurt to Frankfurt Hahn around 15 Euros one way. The tube from Heathrow to central London is cheaper than the busses from Stansted to central London. Bottom line: Lufthansa was actually a way better deal.

And yes, Lufthansa has free food on 2 hr flights unless that has changed over the last three months, which is when I last took a LH flight. It is nothing great, just a sandwich. But appreciated.
That was a Lufthansa sale and a late booking for RyanAir.
Since I travel about 40 weekends a year, I am pretty familiar with the flight costs from Germany. Those are not standard costs. I just looked at the Lufthansa website (they're having a special) and one way from Frankfurt to London is 100€.
BTW, the Stanstead round trip bus is less than 20 pounds.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:53 AM

21,367 posts, read 24,109,773 times
Quote:
Do you travel via air in Europe?
Yes. My travel is primarily on business and has been mostly on Delta since the company I work for pays for it. Even when I do vacations, I fly Delta to get the company discount. This method of flying is part of my benefit package rather than my level in the company (so basically I'm not a flying suit).

Quote:
Even in the US, you might get a drink and nothing else for a short duration flight.
There's a reason they close the curtain to the front rows during the flight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or