U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 09:59 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,926,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
That was a Lufthansa sale and a late booking for RyanAir.
Since I travel about 40 weekends a year, I am pretty familiar with the flight costs from Germany. Those are not standard costs. I just looked at the Lufthansa website (they're having a special) and one way from Frankfurt to London is 100€.
BTW, the Stanstead round trip bus is less than 20 pounds.
Guess, I am mostly lucky then and get the Lufthansa specials. I used to fly to London very frequently and never paid more than 100-120 Euros. Unless there is a Ryanair flight for less than 40 Euros it is usually not worth it (for me). Even a 0 Euro flight to London and back would result in at least 26 Euros for the bus from Frankfurt to Hahn and 20 pounds from Stansted and back (Heathrow is only 2.70 one way with the tube), so 50 Euros just for transportation, plus a credit card fee to book my flight. Not to mention fees for luggage and pretty much everything else. Taken together, traveling with Lufthansa/BA/Air France is not that much more expensive and definitely less of a hassle because I don't spend that much time on trains or busses.
Of course, that might be different if I someone lives closer to a Ryanair airport (or small airports, such as Dresden). Whenever I am in Germany, I am rather close to Frankfurt which usually has the cheapest flights on the major airlines. I also prefer to not support an airline that treats its employees as badly as Ryanair.

My bookings for Barcelona were not late bookings, by the way, but still I found a better deal with Lufthansa than with Ryanair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 10:59 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,588,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Yes, it is just a few more Euros.
This might be different for someone who lives close to a Ryanair airport and far away from another major airport, but for me, in 75% of all cases it is NOT worth to fly with Ryanair and even if i saved 10 Euros I'd prefer to take one of the traditional airlines since they have at least somewhat of a customer service.
We used Ryanair not because we lived close to one of their airports. In fact, we lived within equal distance to the two airports -- Fiumicino and Ciampino -- in Rome. We used it very frequently because we never had a bad experience with it and we always received good value for our money.

I mentioned earlier that I flew Ryanair more than 80 times. I just looked at our record and saw this:

Except the year 2005 during which we spend 21 weeks outside of Europe, I/we flew with Ryanair 123 times between 2000-2007. Only once that we paid $117 for RT tickets for both of us. The rest was less than $100. That's American dollars, not Euro, and that's included all taxes. During the many 1-cent sales, we paid about half of that.

I don't know what else to say.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 10-23-2011 at 12:20 PM..

Old 10-23-2011, 12:04 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,926,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
I don't know what else to say.
I said for me it is not worth it to save maybe 10 Euros. Because I never saved more than that on a Ryanair flight (& got horrible customer service as an extra). I am traveling on a budget, it is not like I have money to burn, but usually the traditional airlines turn out to be equally expensive/cheap.
That might be different if you're based elsewhere than I was, if you choose different dates to travel, book years in advance, or maybe it depends on the full moon, who knows. I am just talking about my experiences.
I always check Ryanair when I look for flights and took them a couple of times, it is not like I blindly book Lufthansa/BA/whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or