U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:51 AM

9,072 posts, read 15,038,382 times

Advertisements

When planning travel to Hawaii, how do you know how much to budget for food? I know it costs more than on the mainland, by a considerable amount. Therefore, in a long vacation (6 nights) I would want to be prepared for the expense ahead of time.

For those who go to Hawaii, generally what is your food expenses? How much do you budget?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 AM

7,495 posts, read 9,761,232 times
I've never been to Hawaii but I know what I experienced going to Vegas once. I ended up looking for the closest cheapest place to eat and just ate there all the time. Still spent more than I wanted though lol.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 AM

15,784 posts, read 9,530,520 times
I see you're from NY - not sure what part of the state - if NYC are then you should be fine. I'm from Pittsburgh, PA and have lived in DC plus have family in Chicago and NYC. IMO the food in Hawaii didn't seem particularly expensive - especially compared to the hype about how pricey it is there. We didn't do 4 star restaurants - had mostly basic fare and even some food truck meals. We didn't have a specific budget just for food but felt the prices were reasonable and didn't break the bank.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 AM

737 posts, read 2,248,801 times
It depends on how often you eat, dietary restrictions, etc. When we're hungry, we eat. My insight is only from visiting a friend in Oahu four times over the last 10 years. Have never budgeted for food but it is an interesting concept. I did see quite a few chain restaurants in Waikiki and I realize you're probably talking about Hawaii, the "big island" which I can only imagine isn't much different in terms of chain restaurants. We usually get our recommendations from bartenders and servers as they seem pretty connected in what goes on behind the scenes in various restaurants.

You might try posting this on the Hawaii forum and get some locals to help you.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:59 AM

14 posts, read 29,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
When planning travel to Hawaii, how do you know how much to budget for food? I know it costs more than on the mainland, by a considerable amount. Therefore, in a long vacation (6 nights) I would want to be prepared for the expense ahead of time.

For those who go to Hawaii, generally what is your food expenses? How much do you budget?
It really depends on how often you eat. My sister and I spent an average of $40-50 on lunch or dinner for the both of us. I believe you can eat cheaper but we didnt want to safe $$ on meals.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:20 PM

11 posts, read 20,382 times
If you have the opportunity to cook your own food, that is certainly the cheapest way! (though grocery stores are expensive too!) You will only be blown away by high prices in "tourist trap" type restaurants right on the water. Ask someone who works where you are staying for tips on where the locals go and the prices will plummet.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:40 PM

15,784 posts, read 9,530,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nschink View Post
If you have the opportunity to cook your own food, that is certainly the cheapest way! (though grocery stores are expensive too!) You will only be blown away by high prices in "tourist trap" type restaurants right on the water. Ask someone who works where you are staying for tips on where the locals go and the prices will plummet.
Ya that's true - "local" food was cheaper - Rice, macaroni salad, shredded pork & cabbage - good stuff but way salty.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:11 PM

9,193 posts, read 9,273,624 times
It wasn't clear to me where in Hawaii that you meant. If you mean the "Big Island", I didn't see too many deals when I was there.

In Honolulu, I found two decent options. Both are food courts. The first food court is the one at the Ala Moana Shopping Center, next to Ala Moana Beach Park. Lots of individual restaurants and cafes are selling food there and the competition helps keep the cost down. The other option is the food court at the International Market Place. Same situation there. Pretty everything has to be brought into Hawaii and you are paying for this expense. I would budget about 50% more than I would plan on paying for the same meals on the mainland.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,859,989 times
You need to ask yourself a bunch of questions.

1. Do you want to travel all the way to hawaii to cook the same foods you eat at home? If not, plan on eating out.

2. When you eat, are you looking for food or are you also looking for a local (whatever you perceive that to be) meals? If you want food, there are Applebys and Mcdonlads, but if you want a certain local flavor with the food, you will need to eat where you get those meals.

3. Do you want to sit, order and eat or are you looking for more. If you expect a certain vibe, you have to go where you get that vibe and expereince.

No matter what you think, most people visiting Hawaii expect to leave with a certain feeling they take away with them. How much of the Hawii expereince you want to have to feel like it was a memorable trip will dictate the cost. Call it what you want, touristy, chincy, staged; you need to feel like the trip was special and food certainly can go a long way to satisfying that need.

You may also want to post this on the Hawaii board of CD as many people can tell you where you can get what you need out of the experience without spending a arm and a leg.

Aloha.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:09 AM

167 posts, read 419,373 times
We were in Waikiki last month and ate in restaurants for 3 meals for a week. I would say the cost is about 10% higher than here in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel