U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:31 PM

14,253 posts, read 23,969,886 times

Advertisements

When my friends head to Europe, it is generally UK, France, Germany, and Italy. Italy seems to be popular at this time because it seems to be a lot less expensive than London or Paris.

Most of the Nordic countries are very expensive as is Iceland (unless you like Iceland in the winter). Eastern Europe is less expensive but most American tourists are less familiar with them. Many of those countries have not marketed well in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 06:33 PM

14,752 posts, read 28,596,957 times
No doubt, Italy is at the very top of my list.

However, when I go to Europe, I usually go to 2 countries:
a) Italy + Portugal
b) Italy + Spain
c) Italy + France
d) Italy + Greece

Italy + anywhere else in Europe? Doubtful ...

Old 09-04-2012, 02:32 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,906,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
d) Italy + Greece
That combination was one of my favorite trips, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:38 AM

5,002 posts, read 4,249,167 times
While I liked Italy, we love to go off the beaten track. So my kids have been in Denmark, Sweden, Finland (didnt really like it), England, Ireland, France, Russia.

Next trip I may do Germany, Austria and Poland.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:54 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This actually makes a great point. Italy is a very important locus in the worldview of Christians, and Catholics in particular, a worldview which even in this secular day and age still grips the majority of Westerners. The sheer amount of art and architecture that bolster the validity of the Christian/Catholic worldview in Italy, especially Rome, is mind-boggling.

As for myself, I like to see artwork that speaks to the heathen part of my soul :-) The carvings on the outside of Oslo's Radhus, for example, with their depictions of Norse mythology. Then when I hike in the hills around the city with its views of the sunny fjord, I am reminded that this was the very environment that molded men's souls to create such a mythology. That's what stirs me.
I'm not a Christian--you don't have to be one to understand great art.

While I find Egyptian art fascinating, it lacks to power and emotion of the works of the great masters.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:54 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,716,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
No doubt, Italy is at the very top of my list.

However, when I go to Europe, I usually go to 2 countries:
a) Italy + Portugal
b) Italy + Spain
c) Italy + France
d) Italy + Greece

Italy + anywhere else in Europe? Doubtful ...
I can't fault you for knowing what you like. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm not a Christian--you don't have to be one to understand great art.
Right, I was addressing the inspiration of Christian art in Italy as one of the major draws for people with a Christian worldview. The reason I quoted your post was because you brought up the subject of sacred art, not because I thought you were one of them.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:05 PM

161 posts, read 742,682 times
I think US familiarity with Italian culture, mainly food and fashion, have helped it become such a popular vacation destination!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:06 PM

161 posts, read 742,682 times
Dorothy,

Did you not visit Norway on your Scandinavian trip? I would highly recommend it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
While I liked Italy, we love to go off the beaten track. So my kids have been in Denmark, Sweden, Finland (didnt really like it), England, Ireland, France, Russia.

Next trip I may do Germany, Austria and Poland.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 PM

5,002 posts, read 4,249,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cignalife View Post
Dorothy,

Did you not visit Norway on your Scandinavian trip? I would highly recommend it!
No Norway yet. But will do it. Didnt really love Finland but thought Sweden and Denmark were great.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:07 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Right, I was addressing the inspiration of Christian art in Italy as one of the major draws for people with a Christian worldview. The reason I quoted your post was because you brought up the subject of sacred art, not because I thought you were one of them.
I didn't use the word, "sacred." You did. Some of the greatest art in Rome was created long before the birth of Christianity. The opus sectile floor and frescoes inside the Curia Julia and the statues of Vestal Virgins around the Temple of Saturn are good examples. There would be more, except the Christians carted it away to use in the building of St. Peters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or