U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:31 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,873,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
If it isn't already. But I (who did not make it there until '06) loved it.
Turkey is similar. Both are EU candidates.

I don't think of Italy when I think of Europe. I'm not sure what I think of, other than my kids, who both live there. But I understand that people seek hospitality, warmth, interesting scenery and delicious food, and Italy has all that.

Yes. And as you agreed with Mr. Rational, clichés develop for reason.
There is only one Venice, only one Berlin Wall, and there is no other place where you can find the treasures in the Prado.

Still, some people strive to find that unbeaten path and/or be a part of the vanguard at the frontier. That way they (supposedly) hang out with locals, have a more "authentic" experience, and do not rub shoulders so much with other tourists. To some degree, I can understand this, I do not seek a sanitized Disney experience. But the posturing can be funny: I'm sure that Burgler is right in that some folks do not want to appear predictable.

On a backpacking forum I go to, there was once an older guy from Fodor's who hung out there, trying to detect the next trendy backpacking spot.
Backpackers often tend to be just as much of a herd as the stereotypical loud, overfed tourist.
On top destinations:

It's true, of course, that these places have the world-renowned sights that keep drawing the big crowds. And it's also true that there is a certain sanitized, "Disney" atmosphere that develops to service those big crowds. It's not so much the place (Paris, Rome, Cairo) as it is the sights (Louvre, Colisseum, Pyramids).

On the backpacker circuit:

The crowds are not as big, but just as overwhelming. These places, too, have great sights, and they are overwhelmed by a crowd with a different travel style, but a similar approach.

On the (relatively) unbeaten path:

It's out there, and it's a little different in approach. It exists most places, really--especially away from peak season. There is an unbeaten (by tourists) Paris (and Rome, and New York). There are destinations truly far from the tourist track (like Mongolia, Chad, Venezuela). The approach is something like this: "real" life in a very different place. A neighborhood restaurant, a local's market, and a room/apartment where ordinary people live. It appeals to some travelers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verseau View Post
I think one of the main reasons why Italy is so heavily visited by Americans is because it has several large, cosmopolitan cities in close proximity to each other (Venice, Milan, Florence, Rome), all of which have an exceptional amount of historical interest. Large cities are easier for American tourists to visit and navigate, particularly since they are less likely to brave driving on Italian roads.

In my opinion, the touristiness of these major cities in northern Italy is a huge turn-off. It's too bad that American visitors rarely get a chance to go off the beaten path, but I understand the desire to see those cities when the opportunity arises.

Let's not forget that Italy is also generally cheaper than France, Germany, the UK and northern Europe, while not associated with the archaic stigma of a "developing" eastern Europe.
France and Italy are two of the world's most popular destinations because of Paris, Rome, Florence, and Venice. You could visit Nantes and Ragusa--still great for history and culture--and see relatively few tourists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The premise is way flawed given how many Americans visit places like London and Paris every year.

People can't see everything so they must choose something, especially Americans with relatively short annual vacation time and distance from Europe. So it kind of makes sense that people choose the same popular destinations where there are famous attractions and a strong tourism infrastructure.
Aside from international airports, tourism infrastructure is hardly lacking in other places. You'll find trains, roads, hotels/B&Bs, and restaurants/markets in less prominent destinations. They're just different. You'll find places to eat and stay in Paris' 20th Arrondisement, which is hardly lacking in infrastructure, but you'll be away from the crowds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 04:14 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,318,926 times
Italy isn't even in the top 5 of my list of places to visit in Europe.

1. Czech Republic.
2. Ireland (again!).
3. England.
4. Sweden.
5. Greece.

YMMV.

Old 02-15-2016, 07:58 PM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Aside from international airports, tourism infrastructure is hardly lacking in other places.
Well you just named one of the most important part of tourism infrastructure for Americans with shorter vacations that must fly to Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
You'll find trains, roads, hotels/B&Bs, and restaurants/markets in less prominent destinations.
Really? Places outside of Paris/London/Rome have roads, hotels, and restaurants? I learn something new every day on here. I had always assumed that in smaller European cities people just travel across open fields in wagons and visitors must ask locals for permission to sleep in barns.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:14 AM

1,237 posts, read 995,963 times
Because it's so beautiful and amazing.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:27 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,107,414 times
I liked Italy when I was there. Traveling to northern Europe, I might as well not leave home if I was looking to vacation in a gloomy ****hole But really, most of northern Europe isn't too far off from the climate and feel of most of the states. I would go back to Austria again and that's about it. Any future vacation would definitely be planned around the Mediterranean coast whether that be Spain, Sardinia, Greece, etc.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:35 PM

5,922 posts, read 2,885,080 times
I'd like to go to Greece.

Never been.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:56 AM

257 posts, read 76,155 times
Go to visit Veneto Italy

In one our drive from Treviso you can see...:

Venice ( it was a touristic city before the word "tourist" was invented hundreds years ago )

Delta River Po'..

Villa Strà... ( and many others scattered around the Veneto )

Valdobbiadene ( Prosecco wine ) Treviso

City Wall Montagnana

Giotto "Scrovegni" Padua

Villa "La Rotonda" Vicenza... Andrea Palladio

Verona Ancient Roman arena

Garda Lake

Dolomites

Last edited by asiago12; 05-05-2018 at 03:17 AM..

Old 05-06-2018, 01:15 AM

1,800 posts, read 804,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
American tourists are generally pretty obnoxious and intolerant.
This isn't my experience with American tourists abroad.

Old 05-06-2018, 02:44 PM

2,545 posts, read 1,634,457 times
There are so much beauty and diversity.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:35 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,826,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
. American tourists are generally pretty obnoxious and intolerant.
I agree and I'm american.

Every 5 second they have to take 10 pictues to share it on instagram.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or