U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2018, 05:18 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,793,747 times

Advertisements

I dreamed of Italy my whole life. I always thought it would be like going to Heaven. When I finally went, I was completely disappointed. Extremely crowded, food wasn't that great (compared to France), Italians are not that friendly. I feel the same way about Spain, and my family is Spanish (from the Canary Islands). I much prefer France. France has become my obsession. It is the country I want to return to every year. No other country calls to me like France. The French take food, art, libraries, journalism, intellectualism, gardens, everything to another level not found anywhere else.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 07:59 PM

2,866 posts, read 1,255,414 times
While I haven't yet been to Europe, it is definitely one of my goals since I'm pretty obsessed with travel

I wouldn't turn down a trip to Italy but it's not even on my top 10 destinations for my European wish list.

I am most interested in Iceland, Scotland, Norway, Finland, Sweden, England, and Ireland.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:19 PM

2,905 posts, read 1,583,756 times
I've mentioned it before that Rome is probably my favorite city in the world, maybe mostly in theory since I've only been there 2X. But being brought up in the Roman Catholic faith, & in the "old days" with all those years of Catholic schooling studying church history & watching gladiator movies etc., then higher education with study of classical civilizations' history & literature, even 4 years of Latin! Really an entire upbringing in it's shadow.

Then being exposed to the films of Fellini & more of the actual cuisine brings Rome only to be challenged by Paris for primacy, & I've discovered I have a hard time being in Paris as a singleton since my first trips were as a couple. Rome doesn't demand that kind of romance from me.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:42 AM

1,172 posts, read 477,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
Does anybody else also think Italy is uber predictable?
No.

However, I agree that there are loads of great destinations in Europe. Italy is only one of several options. I say experience as much of it as you can, assuming you like what Europe has to offer.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I dreamed of Italy my whole life. I always thought it would be like going to Heaven. When I finally went, I was completely disappointed. Extremely crowded, food wasn't that great (compared to France), Italians are not that friendly. I feel the same way about Spain, and my family is Spanish (from the Canary Islands). I much prefer France. France has become my obsession. It is the country I want to return to every year. No other country calls to me like France. The French take food, art, libraries, journalism, intellectualism, gardens, everything to another level not found anywhere else.
In all fairness, it’s tough to find better food that you get in France. And if you didn’t find good food in Italy, I’ll submit that you were unlucky in your restaurant choices.

I also find friendliness to be a crap shoot anywhere I travel. Most people are nice, especially if you learn a few basic phrases, but there are always a few bad apples or locals too burned out by tourist exposure to be nice or hustler types. Happens sometimes.

The crowded part doesn’t surprise me. Italy is wildly popular with tourists — and for good reason, am thinking.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Paris and the surrounding areas, which is unfortunately all I’ve experienced in this country. But I love Italy, too.

Old 06-09-2018, 08:20 AM

2,863 posts, read 1,793,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
In all fairness, itís tough to find better food that you get in France. And if you didnít find good food in Italy, Iíll submit that you were unlucky in your restaurant choices.

I also find friendliness to be a crap shoot anywhere I travel. Most people are nice, especially if you learn a few basic phrases, but there are always a few bad apples or locals too burned out by tourist exposure to be nice or hustler types. Happens sometimes.

The crowded part doesnít surprise me. Italy is wildly popular with tourists ó and for good reason, am thinking.

Donít get me wrong, I love Paris and the surrounding areas, which is unfortunately all Iíve experienced in this country. But I love Italy, too.

I'm giving Italy another shot. Going to Bologna soon, supposedly the center of Italian gastronomy. Visiting Eataly World, taking gelato and pasta classes, etc.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:21 AM

11,976 posts, read 5,111,061 times
The Romagna region of Italy is a world away from Rome. It's much more similar to Tuscany in many ways. I hope you like it better.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I'm giving Italy another shot. Going to Bologna soon, supposedly the center of Italian gastronomy. Visiting Eataly World, taking gelato and pasta classes, etc.
Havenít been to Bologna, unfortunately, so canít offer any suggestions for you. But if youíre in Florence, an excellent place for gelato is Vivoli.

And if you ever get back to Rome, Tre Scalini is a fine spot for gelato, with their ďtartufoĒ an especially worthy choice.

Regardless, hope you have fun.

Old 06-10-2018, 06:05 AM

11,976 posts, read 5,111,061 times
I spent some time in Italy and San Marino growing up and early adulthood not too far from Bologna. When I traveled to Rome and Naples, it was almost like being in another country. The food wasn't at all what I was used to, it was way more crowded, the culture was somewhat different and even the local languages were incomprehensible to me.
When I traveled to Florence and Tuscany, it felt much more like what I was used to and comfortable. Of course I'm biased when it comes to Italian food but the Romagna region without a doubt has the best food in Italy and many in and out of Italy would agree with that.

Last edited by marino760; 06-10-2018 at 07:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or