U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 05:38 PM

905 posts, read 3,071,158 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies CDF friends. I appreciate you taking the time to contribute.

MrRational: Your reply was irrational, but thanks anyway............

foadi: Sorry I did'nt provide you with enough info, perhaps I was cryptic but I did'nt think I needed to qualify my questions. The reason for my question is: I am a retired airline employee who has access to very cheap standby flights. My 1st choice is fly to BKK but there is only one flight from the US to BKK daily, as a result the flights run very full. I have spent hours on the net searching individual airline flights to SEA, my original question hoped to save me a little time.

As for travelling off the beaten path, I am perfectly happy to spend time in some boring village or remote beach. To me it is blissful.

MikeYYC: Thanks, just the type of info I was looking for!

jtur88: Right now I am thinking I will opt for a flight to Hong Kong and spend a couple of days there. Might as well since I am there anyway and it will not add any cost to my airline tickets.

Since I can fly so cheap I can optimize my time by flying on selected routes.

I have a Rough Guide sitting next to me on the desk. : ) I need to pick up a Lonely Planet.

pureturkey: I am not opposed to using tour operators. I prefer to find a local agent once I arrive at my intended destination. I have found great deals doing that. I booked a gullet in Istanbul for a wonderful trip!

slackjaw: Thank you!!! I am thinking I will begin in BKK as you suggest. I am thinking 4 countries in 40 days might be rushing it. While my plans are fluid, I might skip Vietnam and concentrate on Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia. That could change though.

I would love to hear more about your trips through SEA!!! What are your must see's and don't bother destinations?

In Thailand I fell in love with Koh Phi Phi and could not get out of Koh Samui(Buddah Beach) fast enough. The full moon party in Koh Phangan was fun but once is enough.

I love to cook and plan on taking several cooking courses on my trip, if you have any referrals I would love to hear them!

Sawadee krap ya'll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 06:55 AM

8,607 posts, read 11,109,331 times
CRock, if you're flying voucher, and are a bit of a masochist, Sing air has a semi-nonstop from IAH to SIN via SVO. Same plane, just a two hour stretch in Moscow. Always seats available in coach.

Regardless, have a great trip, and I'm jealous too.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:15 AM

328 posts, read 575,056 times
Out of Seattle you wont get any non-stop flights to BKK because SEA isn't a hub. Korean airlines has a flight from SEA to ICN and then to BKK and is probably your best bet.

Most other airlines will bring you to Vancouver, San Fran or LAX first before heading out to either Tokyo, Hong Kong or Seoul before heading to BKK.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
I am looking for a comprehensive list of non stop flights. I am planning a trip to south east asia for January, however I am having trouble finding a website listing non stop flights to/from SEA to the US. Please let me know if you know of one............TIA.

I am also looking for travel advice for SEA. I prefer travelling off the beaten path, away from the hordes or travellers. My proposed itinerary is Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Duration: 6 weeks.

TIA
I recently found this while researching our trip: It has helped greatly. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Airport Departures and Arrivals

Last edited by CRock; 11-18-2011 at 05:05 PM..

Old 11-21-2011, 11:31 AM

5,722 posts, read 8,627,542 times
Quote:
I am looking for a comprehensive list of non stop flights. I am planning a trip to south east asia for January, however I am having trouble finding a website listing non stop flights to/from SEA to the US. Please let me know if you know of one............TIA.

I am also looking for travel advice for SEA. I prefer travelling off the beaten path, away from the hordes or travellers. My proposed itinerary is Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Duration: 6 weeks.

TIA
That is quite an optimistic itinerary, for example I spent a month just in Thailand and that was just enough time to cover a good part of the country. 6 weeks to see 4 countries would be very tight . I would want to spend a week just in Halong Bay - it's one of the new 7 natural wonders of the world!

Last edited by k374; 11-21-2011 at 11:45 AM..

Old 11-21-2011, 11:37 AM

5,722 posts, read 8,627,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If that's what he wants to do, then you realize that doing something else makes absolutely no sense, right?
Depends on what his motivations are... if he just wants to journey across these 4 countries like the amazing race then great! but if he actually wants to experience something then I beg to differ... one could easily spend 1 month in EACH of these countries and not get bored, they are so culturally rich.

Actually this gets debated quite frequently on the LP forums with each group disagreeing with the other Slow travel vs those that want to spend a short time per country. I guess each group has their own motivations so we'll never understand each other...to each his own

Last edited by k374; 11-21-2011 at 11:46 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 PM

10 posts, read 20,138 times
Good hubs to reach other places in Southeast Asia also include Singapore and Kuala Lumpur. Flights are cheaper out of KL and budget airlines offer great deals but are often not featured on cheap ticket websites. Check out their websites on your own (AirAsia, Tiger Air, Scoot, JetStar, etc.) for transits between countries and check out the local airlines for transit within country. You can do a lot of budget traveling by visiting the less-traveled places, but if you are spending 40 days here, definitely make the time for Siem Reap and Yogyakarta, which are amazing places.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:08 PM

It was interesting to see my OP post pop back up. Since it has been recycled here is a little trip report.

We flew out of Charlotte 1/2/12 for Paris(7am arrival) hoping to connect on a Thai Airways flight at 130pm. As retired airline we had stand by tickets and were bumped. We then flew to Frankfurt @ 530pm. Arrived in FRA to be told there was no way we could make either Thai @ 930pm or Lufthansa at 11p. I begged the Thai ticket agent to please, please put us on the stand by list. With reluctance she did. Turns out we got the last couple seats on the plane. We arrived BKK about Noon. That was loooooong and crazy trip to get from Charlotte to BKK!

My 6 week 4 country tour turned into 7 weeks and 2 countries. 3.5 weeks in Thailand and 2.5 weeks in Cambodia. I skipped Laos due to long, long, long bus rides. I flew BKK to Phnom Pehn. Inside Cambodia I took buses.

I was able to get a seat on the BKK-LAX nonstop then a non stop flight from LAX to Charlotte.
It was an awesome trip.....!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:17 PM

6,475 posts, read 6,198,579 times
Quote:
It was interesting to see my OP post pop back up. Since it has been recycled here is a little trip report.

We flew out of Charlotte 1/2/12 for Paris(7am arrival) hoping to connect on a Thai Airways flight at 130pm. As retired airline we had stand by tickets and were bumped. We then flew to Frankfurt @ 530pm. Arrived in FRA to be told there was no way we could make either Thai @ 930pm or Lufthansa at 11p. I begged the Thai ticket agent to please, please put us on the stand by list. With reluctance she did. Turns out we got the last couple seats on the plane. We arrived BKK about Noon. That was loooooong and crazy trip to get from Charlotte to BKK!

My 6 week 4 country tour turned into 7 weeks and 2 countries. 3.5 weeks in Thailand and 2.5 weeks in Cambodia. I skipped Laos due to long, long, long bus rides. I flew BKK to Phnom Pehn. Inside Cambodia I took buses.

I was able to get a seat on the BKK-LAX nonstop then a non stop flight from LAX to Charlotte.
It was an awesome trip.....!
Awesome. I went to Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam last year. I liked Cambodia the best. Great people and Phnom Pehn was a wonderful city.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:00 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,775,228 times
glad you came to your senses. the four countries you wanted to go to in 6 weeks would have been exhausting. focusing on two countries was a wise decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or