U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:30 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,317,432 times

Advertisements

I want to book a roundtrip flight but currently only have enough points for one way. My 50,000 points that I just earned will activate in a few weeks so I was thinking of waiting until then, but then again that is cutting it close to the trip departure.

Should I book the flight out with the points I have now, then wait two weeks and book the flight back with my newly acquired points or is it just better to do it all at once?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 PM

4,933 posts, read 6,806,138 times
Do it all at once. I recently opened up an SW reward card as well. Got 25,000 points currently and expect to have 50,000 points (enough for two round trip flights to the farthest places in the US from Texas) by my next statement. All I had to do was spend $2000 in the first three months to get the 50,000 points. I opted for the $99 annual fee (6000 points on cardmember anniversary, which is worth quite a bit more in airfare than the fee).

Old 06-13-2014, 06:06 PM

3,586 posts, read 5,317,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Do it all at once. I recently opened up an SW reward card as well. Got 25,000 points currently and expect to have 50,000 points (enough for two round trip flights to the farthest places in the US from Texas) by my next statement. All I had to do was spend $2000 in the first three months to get the 50,000 points. I opted for the $99 annual fee (6000 points on cardmember anniversary, which is worth quite a bit more in airfare than the fee).
Before I read this my coworker advised me to buy the out trip with the points I have now and the return trip when I get my 50,000 in a few weeks.

Actually by my calculations the $99 fee for 6,000 points is a wash. That is my $200 flight cost me just over 12,000 in points for a ratio of 60 points for every dollar or 6000 points is about $100. The best thing about the card is the initial 50,000 reward but after that comes out to about the same as a common, no fee, 1% dividend card.

Has anyone been keeping up with SW airlines? Seems they have been fined a 2nd time for advertising low one way fares that could not actually be booked for those prices. And I thought they were a different kind of airline........

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...r-fare-ads.ece

Last edited by verybadgnome; 06-13-2014 at 06:16 PM..

Old 06-14-2014, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,393 times
I charge everything to my SW card and pay it off monthly. Several free flights a year, so well worth it. The farther out you book, the fewer accumulated miles you will need ....same as if you were paying cash....the difference can be significant if you wait to book a flight at the last minute using your miles.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:21 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,033,616 times
Personally, I prefer to use the Capital One Rewards Card and take the 1.5% cash rebate. That way, I can choose the airline and get more for my money.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:54 PM

6,324 posts, read 6,992,048 times
SW card is excellent. Chase Sapphire is the best for travel, but SW is a good deal too. And the yearly bonus points they give you make up for the annual fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I want to book a roundtrip flight but currently only have enough points for one way. My 50,000 points that I just earned will activate in a few weeks so I was thinking of waiting until then, but then again that is cutting it close to the trip departure.

Should I book the flight out with the points I have now, then wait two weeks and book the flight back with my newly acquired points or is it just better to do it all at once?
I disagree with Philosophizer, definitely book the outbound first instead of waiting. Even if the price drops, the great thing about southwest is that you can rebook and get credit for the price difference. So anytime I even think I might be taking a trip on SW, I book using points without worrying about a price drop cause as long as I check for a drop I can always get it back. (If you're not using points you might not want to outlay the cash so far in advance for a trip you might not even take. But points don't matter...they're just sitting in your account not making any interest lol)

BTW what is "cutting it close?" Means different things to different people. If you're 3-4 weeks out you're probably fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or