U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
656 posts, read 1,792,289 times
Reputation: 795

Advertisements

Last night around 7pm a girl in her 20's checks into our hotel. She seems kind of whiny so I put her on the 2nd floor so it will be less noisy for her. She asks if the hotel has an elevator b/c she has a big suitcase. I reply no as our hotel was built in the 50's before code. I offer to put her in a room on the first floor to which she declines and then I tell her I'll carry her suitcase up the stairs for her. At this point an older gentleman who was standing behind her says don't worry about that b/c he's her dad and he'll carry it up for her b/c that's what fathers do. They go on their way etc..... About four hours later this same girl calls down to the desk and tells me that she is very unhappy b/c her room is cold and that she's so mad that she is on the second floor b/c she had to carry her heavy suitcase up the stairs. WTF? I know for a fact that she didn't carry it. It's on the security camera. I told her she could check out the next day and there would be no penalty fee. She was booked in for five days but usually we like to let the whiny guests go w/o a penalty b/c otherwise we have to deal w/ them for the duration of their stay. Also her rate was crazy low. About 40% off so we'll fill that gap in a heartbeat and make more money. Hotel guests are so funny LOL. Have a good day. I AM THE FRONT DESK AGENT

Quote:
I am a Front Desk Agent

I have advanced degrees in Accounting, Public Relations, Marketing, Business, Computer Science, Civil Engineering, and Swahili. I can also read minds.

Of course I have the reservation that you booked six years ago even though you don't have the confirmation number and you think it was made under a name that starts with "S".

It is completely my fault that the blizzard shut down the airport and you have to sleep in a warm king-size bed while 5000 of your co-travelers are sleeping in benches at the airport. I am sorry.


It is not a problem for me to give you seven connecting, non-smoking, poolside suites with two king beds in each, four roll-a-ways, 3 cribs, and yes, I can install a wet bar. I know it is my fault that we do not have a helicopter landing pad.

I am a Front Desk Agent. I am expected to speak all languages fluently. It is obvious to me that when you booked your reservation for Friday on the weekend we're sold out that you really meant Saturday. My company has entrusted me with all financial information and decisions, and yes, I am lying to you when I say we have no more rooms available. It is not a problem for me to quickly construct several more guest rooms. THIS time I will not forget the helicopter landing pad. And it is my fault that everyone wanted to stay here. I should have known you were coming in, even though you had no reservation. After all, you stay at our brand of hotel all the time, 300 nights a year, and this is only the first time you've ever been to our city.

I am a front desk agent. I am quite capable of checking three people in, two people out, taking five reservations, answering fifteen incoming calls, delivering six bath towels to room 625, plunging the toilet in room 101, and restocking the supply of pool towels, all at the same time. Yes, I will be glad to call the van driver and tell him to drive over all the cars stuck in traffic because you've been waiting at the airport for 15 minutes and you've got jet lag.

I am a front desk agent, an operator, a bellhop, houseman, guest service representative, housekeeper, sales coordinator, information specialist, entertainment critic, restauranteur, stock broker, referee, janitor, computer technician, plumber, ice-breaker, postman, babysitter, dispatcher, laundry cleaner, lifeguard, electrician, ambassador, personal fitness trainer, fax expert, human jukebox, domestic abuse counselor, and verbal punching bag. Yes, I know room 112 is not answering their phone. And of course I have their travel itinerary so I know exactly where they went when they left here 9 hours ago, and what their cell phone number is.

I always know where to find the best vegetarian-kosher-Mongolian-barbecue restaurants. I know exactly what to see and do in this city in fifteen minutes without spending any money and without getting caught in traffic. I take personal blame for airline food, traffic jams, rental car flat tires, and the nation's economy.

I realize that you meant to book your reservation here. People often confuse us with the Galaxy Delight Motel, Antarctica. Of course I can "fit you in" and yes, you may have the special $1 rate because you are affiliated with the Hoboken Accounting and Bagel Club.

I am expected to smile, empathize, sympathize, console, condole, upsell, downsell (and know when to do which), perform, sing, dance, fix the printer, and tell your friends that you're here. And I know exactly where 613 Possum Trot Lane is in the Way Out There subdivision that they just built last week.

After all, I AM a Front Desk Agent!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-05-2011 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,613 posts, read 13,143,988 times
Reputation: 16173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
Last night around 7pm a girl in her 20's checks into our hotel. She seems kind of whiny so I put her on the 2nd floor so it will be less noisy for her. She asks if the hotel has an elevator b/c she has a big suitcase. I reply no as our hotel was built in the 50's before code. I offer to put her in a room on the first floor to which she declines and then I tell her I'll carry her suitcase up the stairs for her. At this point an older gentleman who was standing behind her says don't worry about that b/c he's her dad and he'll carry it up for her b/c that's what fathers do. They go on their way etc..... About four hours later this same girl calls down to the desk and tells me that she is very unhappy b/c her room is cold and that she's so mad that she is on the second floor b/c she had to carry her heavy suitcase up the stairs. WTF? I know for a fact that she didn't carry it. It's on the security camera. I told her she could check out the next day and there would be no penalty fee. She was booked in for five days but usually we like to let the whiny guests go w/o a penalty b/c otherwise we have to deal w/ them for the duration of their stay. Also her rate was crazy low. About 40% off so we'll fill that gap in a heartbeat and make more money. Hotel guests are so funny LOL. Have a good day. I AM THE FRONT DESK AGENT

Quote:
I am a Front Desk Agent

I have advanced degrees in Accounting, Public Relations, Marketing, Business, Computer Science, Civil Engineering, and Swahili. I can also read minds.

Of course I have the reservation that you booked six years ago even though you don't have the confirmation number and you think it was made under a name that starts with "S".

It is completely my fault that the blizzard shut down the airport and you have to sleep in a warm king-size bed while 5000 of your co-travelers are sleeping in benches at the airport. I am sorry.


It is not a problem for me to give you seven connecting, non-smoking, poolside suites with two king beds in each, four roll-a-ways, 3 cribs, and yes, I can install a wet bar. I know it is my fault that we do not have a helicopter landing pad.

I am a Front Desk Agent. I am expected to speak all languages fluently. It is obvious to me that when you booked your reservation for Friday on the weekend we're sold out that you really meant Saturday. My company has entrusted me with all financial information and decisions, and yes, I am lying to you when I say we have no more rooms available. It is not a problem for me to quickly construct several more guest rooms. THIS time I will not forget the helicopter landing pad. And it is my fault that everyone wanted to stay here. I should have known you were coming in, even though you had no reservation. After all, you stay at our brand of hotel all the time, 300 nights a year, and this is only the first time you've ever been to our city.

I am a front desk agent. I am quite capable of checking three people in, two people out, taking five reservations, answering fifteen incoming calls, delivering six bath towels to room 625, plunging the toilet in room 101, and restocking the supply of pool towels, all at the same time. Yes, I will be glad to call the van driver and tell him to drive over all the cars stuck in traffic because you've been waiting at the airport for 15 minutes and you've got jet lag.

I am a front desk agent, an operator, a bellhop, houseman, guest service representative, housekeeper, sales coordinator, information specialist, entertainment critic, restauranteur, stock broker, referee, janitor, computer technician, plumber, ice-breaker, postman, babysitter, dispatcher, laundry cleaner, lifeguard, electrician, ambassador, personal fitness trainer, fax expert, human jukebox, domestic abuse counselor, and verbal punching bag. Yes, I know room 112 is not answering their phone. And of course I have their travel itinerary so I know exactly where they went when they left here 9 hours ago, and what their cell phone number is.

I always know where to find the best vegetarian-kosher-Mongolian-barbecue restaurants. I know exactly what to see and do in this city in fifteen minutes without spending any money and without getting caught in traffic. I take personal blame for airline food, traffic jams, rental car flat tires, and the nation's economy.

I realize that you meant to book your reservation here. People often confuse us with the Galaxy Delight Motel, Antarctica. Of course I can "fit you in" and yes, you may have the special $1 rate because you are affiliated with the Hoboken Accounting and Bagel Club.

I am expected to smile, empathize, sympathize, console, condole, upsell, downsell (and know when to do which), perform, sing, dance, fix the printer, and tell your friends that you're here. And I know exactly where 613 Possum Trot Lane is in the Way Out There subdivision that they just built last week.

After all, I AM a Front Desk Agent!
I am a Hotel Concierge, I do this as well. It's a fun, interesting job. Many great people, and always something to learn. And this Aries mind needs to run full speed.

Good post!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-05-2011 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,228,275 times
Reputation: 16496
haha very entertaining! I don't work in a hotel, but I can appreciate the first anecdote nonetheless :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 11:35 AM
 
Location: California Mountains
1,448 posts, read 2,587,597 times
Reputation: 2334
Great post.

For each problematic guest, I hope you would find 10 understanding ones who always say thank you when they approach you for any reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Upland, CA
3,662 posts, read 6,484,389 times
Reputation: 4143
Over the course of about 2 years, I worked at about 5 different hotels doing Front Desk work.

The vast majority of people you meet are very friendly and easy to deal with. As someone that likes to travel, it is always fascinating to meet people from other places and hear their stories.

I would occasionally have problematic guests, but I just usually chalked it up to too much alcohol or that they were usually high maintenance. Several times, I would have a wife go off on me for something really minor or not a big deal, and the husband or boyfriend would come back and apologize or slide me a tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-24-2011, 08:12 PM
 
14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Reputation: 20058
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
Over the course of about 2 years, I worked at about 5 different hotels doing Front Desk work.

The vast majority of people you meet are very friendly and easy to deal with. As someone that likes to travel, it is always fascinating to meet people from other places and hear their stories.

Agree with you. It is a heck of a lot of fun but only if you have the RIGHT attitude for it. And many don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 08:42 AM
 
1 posts, read 5,550 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
haha very entertaining! I don't work in a hotel, but I can appreciate the first anecdote nonetheless :P
ha-ha.. this is a great story))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 08:53 AM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,126 posts, read 17,133,831 times
Reputation: 9980
I probably caused some front desk problem years ago...

A major hotel in Dallas, put my office phone number in airline magazine ad, Looked like the copy writer transposed the area code. I started to get call for reservations, at first I had no idea why, but one of the caller faxed me the ad. I called them and they fixed but the advance time on the ads was 3? months. When someone would call I would tell them they have the incorrect area code, and give them the correct one. If they called back 1 minute late I would say. What part of the correct area code didn't you understand? On the 3rd call from that person I would take there reservation, Give them a great rate, a Confirmation number, the works.
I would love to have seen the person at the front desk weeks later, and the front desk person saying we have no reservation for you, and are Confirmation numbers are nothing like that number you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2011, 10:01 PM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,411 posts, read 26,228,275 times
Reputation: 16496
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I probably caused some front desk problem years ago...

A major hotel in Dallas, put my office phone number in airline magazine ad, Looked like the copy writer transposed the area code. I started to get call for reservations, at first I had no idea why, but one of the caller faxed me the ad. I called them and they fixed but the advance time on the ads was 3? months. When someone would call I would tell them they have the incorrect area code, and give them the correct one. If they called back 1 minute late I would say. What part of the correct area code didn't you understand? On the 3rd call from that person I would take there reservation, Give them a great rate, a Confirmation number, the works.
I would love to have seen the person at the front desk weeks later, and the front desk person saying we have no reservation for you, and are Confirmation numbers are nothing like that number you have.
It seems like you were hurting the person a lot more than the hotel staff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2011, 01:56 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,583,712 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
It seems like you were hurting the person a lot more than the hotel staff?
You can't fix stupid, so why not have fun with it? After the person was given the correct phone number and the same person kept calling you betcha I would have done the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top