U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 11:12 AM

4,112 posts, read 3,826,343 times

Advertisements

Train.

The bus could be fun though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 12:02 PM

8,281 posts, read 11,136,078 times
Train, but don't expect too much from the City of New Orleans which is inferior in every way to the Empire Builder.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:01 PM

38,894 posts, read 20,185,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
Okay, I'm having a hard time making a decision.

In two months, I'm flying down to New Orleans to party my brains out with a buddy of mine.

The bad news is that he can only take the weekend off, but the good news for me is that I get the whole following week off from work. (actually next two)

Anyways, I love adventures and I don't feel like flying back to Boston on Sunday night so I'm planning on taking the train or bus. I've had some long train rides in my life (boston-LA, Boston-Portland, OR, Virginia to Orlando and a number of trips through Asia) and I've also had a few long bus rides (not as long as my train rides though).

My question is if you had the choice, which mode of transportation would you take?

I like the idea of taking the train because it keeps me from being confined to one area the entire trip and there are many fascinating people on board. I like the idea of the bus because I love the adventure of the open road and it's cheaper. What would you choose?
Unless the cost is significantly cheaper ... I'd select train travel. Think about potty breaks and having a place where you can eat on board .... I would never want to use a greyhound restroom (if they even have one) and don't want to be without food for that long on the bus. At least trains have concession stands (even if they are a bit pricey) and restrooms can be more roomier than the bus (especially the handicapped ones). Also, getting up and walking around can uncramp your legs.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:20 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,261,951 times
Not gonna lie, both train and bus will suck. The train is not an adventure and I think you're going to regret it. Train sounds cool, but when it comes down to it, you're stuck in a seat for an extra who knows how many hours.. In the end you're going to be kicking yourself in the butt saying, "why didn't i just fly back!?"

If you want my recommendation, take a train another time when you can have a nice relaxing long weekend and maybe a 3 hour train ride. Anything more will be torture.

So basically, you are saying you got a week off of work, you want a true adventure so you're going to spend your extra time off having an adventure sitting in a chair looking out the window with your only amenity being that you can get up and walk up and down an aisle and go to the bathroom? Use your time for some real fun, visit a different city and fly back.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:09 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,558,662 times
I vote for the train!

I did the bus once and it was frustrating to be to have to take 8 hours getting to someplace I knew I could drive in about 3.

Plus I've never been on a train and always wanted to do it.

Have fun!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 AM

17,435 posts, read 21,272,660 times
The times I've planned train trips, I was always shocked to find out the most scenic areas of the trip I'd be passing thru at night, wouldn't be able to see anything.

Long wanted to take the train, when I lived in Minneapolis, to Seattle. Well, well! It pulled out of Mpls. early morning, and the only scenery I'd be seeing would be the Dakota's and then collide with nightfall just when you want to see more exciting scenery.

I was also planning a train trip from New Orleans to DC, and I ran into the same problems, where I'd be as darkness arrived.

I did my first Greyhound trip a couple years ago, and I enjoyed ever minute of it. Get a little bored, open a book! Read a little, then I fall asleep!

I don't know where people come up with these stereotypical bus riders, as I found out riding buses, in many cases, is more expensive than flying. My guess is the poorest would elect to fly rather than bus it. And, always remember, there'll always be a chunk of fear-of-flying travelers who will never fly even if you gave them a free ticket, including my 75YO cousin who will go to her grave never setting foot in a plane!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:07 PM

47,573 posts, read 60,686,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The times I've planned train trips, I was always shocked to find out the most scenic areas of the trip I'd be passing thru at night, wouldn't be able to see anything.

Long wanted to take the train, when I lived in Minneapolis, to Seattle. Well, well! It pulled out of Mpls. early morning, and the only scenery I'd be seeing would be the Dakota's and then collide with nightfall just when you want to see more exciting scenery.

I was also planning a train trip from New Orleans to DC, and I ran into the same problems, where I'd be as darkness arrived.

I did my first Greyhound trip a couple years ago, and I enjoyed ever minute of it. Get a little bored, open a book! Read a little, then I fall asleep!

I don't know where people come up with these stereotypical bus riders, as I found out riding buses, in many cases, is more expensive than flying. My guess is the poorest would elect to fly rather than bus it. And, always remember, there'll always be a chunk of fear-of-flying travelers who will never fly even if you gave them a free ticket, including my 75YO cousin who will go to her grave never setting foot in a plane!
I agree about the stereotypical bus riders - what I've found is that the people who hang out at some bus stations are a bit seedy but those who actually get onto the bus are mostly normal. Sometimes everyone on the bus looks quite normal.

Some people don't like airports, flying, the whole-sheep like attitude of airplane travelers. I don't really mind taking a bus instead but I wish there were buses that would take you more to the edge of cities or to campgrounds. My goal is to take a trip where I could have a lightweight tent and sleeping bag, a bicycle and just what fits in packpack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or