U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:00 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,257,303 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm having a hard time making a decision.

In two months, I'm flying down to New Orleans to party my brains out with a buddy of mine.

The bad news is that he can only take the weekend off, but the good news for me is that I get the whole following week off from work. (actually next two)

Anyways, I love adventures and I don't feel like flying back to Boston on Sunday night so I'm planning on taking the train or bus. I've had some long train rides in my life (boston-LA, Boston-Portland, OR, Virginia to Orlando and a number of trips through Asia) and I've also had a few long bus rides (not as long as my train rides though).

My question is if you had the choice, which mode of transportation would you take?

I like the idea of taking the train because it keeps me from being confined to one area the entire trip and there are many fascinating people on board. I like the idea of the bus because I love the adventure of the open road and it's cheaper. What would you choose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 05:10 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,590,817 times
Train. In the States. In Europe. In Asia. In Central America. For me, it would always be train over bus, anywhere, anytime, anyhow.

Old 10-26-2011, 06:12 PM

28,547 posts, read 62,287,227 times
I'd love to do the train...
but what sort of accommodations are available?
and are there extended ride deals?

If there are...
1) NOLA north to Chicago (On "The City of New Orleans") with 1 or 2 nights in Memphis
2) Chicago east to Albany (On the "Lake Shore Limited) with stops in Cleveland & Albany
3) Albany to Boston = sleep (you'll be pooped).

City of New Orleans -- Steve Goodman - YouTube

Last edited by MrRational; 10-26-2011 at 06:47 PM..

Old 10-26-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'd love to do the train...
but what sort of accommodations are available?
and are there extended ride deals?

If there are...
1) NOLA north to Chicago (On "The City of New Orleans") with 1 or 2 nights in Memphis
2) Chicago east to Albany (On the "Lake Shore Limited) with stops in Cleveland & Albany
3) Albany to Boston = sleep (you'll be pooped).

City of New Orleans -- Steve Goodman - YouTube
I've been through Chicago twice by train. I plan on taking the direct train to NYC and then the Northeast Regional after that.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:57 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,502,743 times
Train in a heartbeat and it's not even close. Granted the bus is cheaper and will probably get you there faster but you can't go anywhere, you get stuck in traffic, you sit next to some "interesting charactors" to put it nicely. Sure, the train stopping for traffic is worse then the greyhound sitting in traffic, but at least you can walk throughout the train, go get something to eat/drink.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,657 posts, read 40,029,981 times
Fly and take another adventure somewhere...

By all means in USA take the train over the bus... Bus = very dangerous / very inconvienent (long cold stops in the middle of night or hot sun of day.) Very disfunctional travel partners on bus. (often not even good for conversation / wacked out on some unknown drug of choice). I did 2 (short) bus trips this yr... very bad choice. I will hitchhike or post on any number of good 'rideshare' websites. (I have had GREAT success with that mode of travel)

Old 10-27-2011, 02:13 AM

454 posts, read 602,528 times
Train for sure ... You get to walk/move around more and there are better bathroom facilities than the bus.

I guess you could do both... bus down to NewOrleans and take the train back, get to see things from both perspectives

Old 10-27-2011, 02:19 AM

38,095 posts, read 55,882,569 times
Train! More comfortable, and most of the times faster.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-27-2011, 05:53 AM

34,434 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post

I like the idea of taking the train because it keeps me from being confined to one area the entire trip and there are many fascinating people on board. I like the idea of the bus because I love the adventure of the open road and it's cheaper. What would you choose?
Other than being cheaper i dont see any other advantage to the bus, as for it being an adventure?Perhaps at some of the seedy bus stations that bus will stop at on its journey down a boring interstate highway.
Take the train you'll meet a more friendly class of people and get to walk around, scenery will be improved as it wont be endless Interstates clogged with cars.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:16 AM

I am flying down, but I think I'll take the train back. I think I was fooling myself that the bus ride might be interesting. I still like the adventure, but my wife threatened to divorce me if I hitchhiked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or