U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 09:56 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,377,277 times

Advertisements

I'd like to see the world's tallest building, but that's where the attraction ends for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 04:59 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,336,164 times
I've been to Dubai twice in the past few years ... but before the Burg Khalifa (currently the tallest spire in the world, but I understand it will surpassed in a few years from now) was finished.

My first impressions: hot, dry, dusty place. I really liked shopping in the old Gold Souk (Bazaar). It does have some interesting shops. Restaurants are sub par, and night life is terrible.

Otherwise I think it is a big dud. No charm, no elegance, no sophistication, nothing historic or interesting except for a bunch of rather tacky looking skyscrapers. This city has no beauty. I think they are trying to be some kind of Miami/Las Vegas hybrid but it fails on both counts.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:03 PM

15,847 posts, read 30,357,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Greg View Post
Dubai is attracting tourism at a high rate and they are building wonders in the form of buildings. The island built on sea which resembles the palm is an amazing achievement of modern science and clearly reflects what money can buy.

Has anyone of you had the chance to visit Dubai and see all that for real? It would be interesting to learn actual experiences rather than edited reports in news and other places.
David Lindsay: The Truth About Dubai

from what I have read recently, all construction has stopped and there is no money to continue. The world-wide decline in the economy (especially in european countries) has really hurt them.

20yrsinbranson

Old 11-14-2011, 10:29 PM

15 posts, read 29,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
David Lindsay: The Truth About Dubai

from what I have read recently, all construction has stopped and there is no money to continue. The world-wide decline in the economy (especially in european countries) has really hurt them.

20yrsinbranson
I read the post. It is written half correct and half seems made up or with little knowledge. It is true that not only the city but the whole country is made up on desert. So keeping it cool will definitely require an unnatural method.

The water part is not entirely correct, desalinated water is not always shipped in. While I was in Dubai I drank mineral water the famous brand there Masafi, also I drank the tap water too. It never affected my health. The method to remove impurities from water is very good and tap water is consumable.

Regarding slavery, it is not true. This is not the work of Emaratis but their very own countrymen who lure people in believing that Emirates is a heaven and life would be really easy and they would get paid a fortune to work there, whereas their wages are already decided between the hiring agency and the employers. It is the work of those hiring agencies located in their very own countries of Bangladesh, Philippines and India too. These agents present false claims of highly paid salaries and lures people to pay them in return to be migrated to Dubai where the scenario changes abruptly and they feel trapped.

Dubai never promoted itself as a cheap place, so it is to be understood that visiting it would require a large amount. Residence and grand hotels are not cheap at all. But McDonalds and Starbucks are not too expensive as well. According to the wages paid there it is fairly affordable.

I think everyone has their own experiences and own views about things. Many people would feel comfortable and some may not, the climate, the language is not at all comparable to the US or EU. A brief idea of how the prices are in Dubai can be seen at Dubai Property – Sell Buy Rent Properties in UAE Dubai Real Estate & Homes it can clearly be noticed that residence is not cheap but, the city has elegant buildings and the country's history? Well what can be the history of a country that has been formed only less than 50 years in all!

Old 11-15-2011, 01:01 AM

89 posts, read 112,086 times
A city with superlatives ( tallest, largest, fastest and fake-est) with a climate that's fit for camels, not people! Everything there seems to be fake - man-made beaches, plants, water (desalinated), snow (indoor ski resort)....

It's amazing though how a city can arise from nothing but a desert.

We were there in September this year. There's nothing particularly interesting about the place, the highlight being the *dhow dinner cruise along the Dubai creek. It was an enchanting experience.The one thing that we hated most was the hot and humid climate. Loved the pink taxis driven by lady drivers for female passengers

Some pics to share

The Dubai Mall (World's Largest)

The city as seen from the rooftop of our hotel

The Aquarium and Discovery Centre at the Dubai Mall officially earned the Guinness World Record for the world's "Largest Acrylic Panel

The glittering Dubai skyline at night as seen from our dhow

The Sheikh Saeed Heritage Village

*Dhow - A traditional Arab sailing vessel with one or more masts. The Burj Al Arab was built to resemble the sail of a dhow.

Last edited by 4rummer; 11-15-2011 at 01:22 AM..

Old 11-18-2011, 01:02 AM

Even though it is an artificial place yet it attracts a lot of tourists. Currently it has all the great things the world has to offer. You can skate on ice in the burning heat and you have all the luxuries available. I think it will pose a serious competition in future for tourism. Also the beaches are lovely where you can always feel the sun.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:35 AM

5,687 posts, read 8,596,983 times
Been to Dubai and Sharjah several times, I would rather NOT go there I didn't find it very interesting at all. One day is quite enough. I did enjoy the actual desert way outside of Dubai though, it was peaceful and the landscape was beautiful.

The problem with Dubai is that everything seems "forced" to imitate some western megalopolis. All the construction looks like an eyesore in the desert landscape instead of blending in with the natural beauty of the place. It's just a case of ostentatious displays of wealth without any class or refinement.

They create upscale bars to imitate those in Paris and Tokyo...tell me if I wanted to spend that kind of money WHY on earth would I go to an imitation in Dubai? I would just GO to the original places in Paris and Tokyo in the FIRST place!

Last edited by k374; 11-18-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 11-21-2011, 11:47 PM

Dubai really is an imitation of the western world but I must appreciate their achievement. Turning a desert into something it is today is not an easy task. With their dedication like this Dubai would become a great tourist spot. I guess everyone has his own taste, for people who admire natural places, Dubai would not appeal them except for the desert, but if you admire great creations of mankind, achieving the impossible is observed in the country. currently it has all the greatest names in business. Gucci, Prada, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, you name it and they have it. Its amazing what oil can buy, and their property is really becoming in demand now. Having a personal beach as in palm jumeirah is great. I guess the weather although hot and humid is still appealing as you don't have to worry about keeping track of a weather forecast to have a tan or ride your bike as long as you desire.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:32 AM

4,247 posts, read 10,554,676 times
Not to mention the islands are a sinking. Once they run out of oil that country is doomed.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:31 AM

I don't think so. he country has expanded its business boundaries quite much. With huge brands like D&G, Gucci, Prada and many other activities taking p[lace the country is generating revenues in many other ways than just oil. Apart from exporting oil and the reason for more tourism is its geographical location which is a 5 hours flight from many countries and china has many business offices in the area. Its getting more popular due to the business opportunities and also because visa can be obtained easily unlike US and UK which are extremely far and also has many requirements which max people cannot fulfill and are denied entry.

I've noticed a trend here that many companies hold their meetings in Dubai because of the facilities, safety of foreigners and easily available visa. Their visa policy too plays a huge role which is promoting tourism, and this brings in revenues. The country is raking in money by all such means and I doubt they hardly rely on just oil now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or