Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,848,319 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how Vietnam compares to China on human rights, but in terms of the economic wellbeing of the country's economy and it's citizens it has improved drastically in recent decades. It's poverty rate may soon fall below that of America's.

Exactly. And I hate it when people get the best of both worlds . There is a monument in Washington DC that should be food for thought about what the North Vietnamese did.
They gave America a bad name in the 60's and 70's and now you are telling me that they economic success makes the US pale in comparison. And everyone just happens to like them.
I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,175,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
one guy charged me US $200 for an hour trip
What? Agree on a price beforehand to a given destination, then make sure it is for everyone in your party not each.

No way you should have had this happen.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:52 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,175,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm not sure how Vietnam compares to China on human rights, but in terms of the economic wellbeing of the country's economy and it's citizens it has improved drastically in recent decades. It's poverty rate may soon fall below that of America's.
While I agree on the startling improvements in standard of living in Vietnam, this poverty thing is kind of a misleading statement.

An American that is officially classified as being in poverty often has central air conditioning, a computer, and a car parked out front. What would that person be considered in Vietnam?

Old 12-19-2011, 08:06 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
While I agree on the startling improvements in standard of living in Vietnam, this poverty thing is kind of a misleading statement.

An American that is officially classified as being in poverty often has central air conditioning, a computer, and a car parked out front. What would that person be considered in Vietnam?
Yeah you're right, I don't think there's one standard of poverty that applies all around the world. Still, I think people starving and stuff is getting a lot rarer in Vietnam. Obviously you'd have to factor the cost of living and stuff.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:08 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
What? Agree on a price beforehand to a given destination, then make sure it is for everyone in your party not each.

No way you should have had this happen.
So I learnt. That country has the most opportunistic money-grabbers in any country I've been to. Thailand was a relief compared to Vietnam, how much you got hassled there. 4 times out of 5 the motorbike taxi driver, if he took you on a tour, charged way more than what he should.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 1,910 times
I am going to book a tour with [url=http://www.vietnamtour.co.uk]Tour Vietnam with Best Vietnam Travel Vietnam tours[/url] any one heard about this travel agency ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel