U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 05:29 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,660,496 times

Advertisements

Many times. We traveled a LOT when I was a kid and my dad was they guy who stopped at every state line sign. (Also every historical marker.) We'd get out of the car, walk into the next state and he'd announce "You are walking into the great state of Louisiana" and proceed to tell us about the migration patterns of the Cajuns.

Who needed school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 05:34 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,384,878 times
Only the TN/VA border to take a photo of the 'Welcome to Tennessee/Welcome to Virginia' sign.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:11 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,166,672 times
I've never walked across a state line but I did walk across the US/Mexican border once into Tijuana from California.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:13 PM

6,541 posts, read 4,492,339 times
Only 1:

I walked across the Ohio river from Cincinnati (Ohio) to Covington (KY) when I was there.

I have taken the commuter rail plenty of times from NY to CT and NJ to NY.

Actually scratch that I forgot when I took the Train to Port Jervis, NY I walked across the river into PA.

Also, and from Niagara Falls, Canada to Niagara Falls, NY back when you could walk freely and travel freely between the 2 countries with only a picture ID (this was 2002 IIRC).

Last edited by 7express; 11-06-2011 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: forgot another time

Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 AM

6,066 posts, read 9,529,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I've never walked across a state line but I did walk across the US/Mexican border once into Tijuana from California.
That counts. It's from the state of California into the state of Baja California Norte.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:58 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
That counts. It's from the state of California into the state of Baja California Norte.
I think I've walked into every Mexican border state except Nuevo Leon, which did not have a border crossing until the World Trade Bridge was built, which doesn't look very pedestrian-friendly. I'm not sure if I ever walked into Baja or not, but I know I did the others.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-07-2011 at 11:12 AM..

Old 11-11-2011, 06:40 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,740,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I can remember several times I've done it, and there might be a few I can't remember.

When I was hitchhiking north out of Texarkana, I had never yet been in Texas, so I walked across the road just to make sure.

Also in Texas, I saw a Mexican restaurant just as I was driving into Anthony NM, so I parked and walked back to Texas to the restaurant.

The Bluefield Orioles play in a baseball stadium that is in Virginia, but most of the parking lot is in West Virginia.

When I go to Cincinnati Reds games, I park in Covingron Kentucky and walk across the pedestrian Ohio River bridge.

West of Salem,New Jersey,there is a little bit of Delaware on the eastern shore of the Delaware River, which is a desolae area good for birdwatching, and I've walked around there on both sides of the line.

Also good birdwatching at the power plant across the US-67 bridge from Alton Illinois. Mostly in Missouri but the state line follows the old river course, with a little bit of Illinois on the Missour side.

Where US-93 crosses from Idaho to Monana,there is a big gravel pullout, where I got out and walked around.

But I've never been to the "Four Corners", where you can stand in four states at once.
I biked across the NY state line from PA once... but that's it. Beyond that, I have specifically changed a route I was driving just to drive into another state I'd never been to... but in terms of walking... I really don't think I have ever walked from one state into another.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:10 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
In the Charlotte, NC area you can visit Paramounts Carowinds Amusement Park and walk across the state line into South Carolina, as it runs through the middle of the park

Home

Old 11-11-2011, 12:16 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
There are a number of places where a boundary river is legally defined as being entirely in one state. For example, if you step into the water of the Potomac anywhere in eastern Virginia, you are in Maryland. There was once a pier in Virginia, where liquor could be sold according to Maryland law.

Also, the entire Ohio River is in Kentucky, and if you step into the water or onto a pier on the Ohio side, you've walked into Kentucky.

There are dozens of places where the Mississippi River has changed course, leaving the state line high and dry.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:36 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,770,900 times
Great question. I feel like the answer should be yes. I have traveled my fair share. But for the life of me I can't remember a specific instance of doing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or