Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 01:05 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times

Advertisements

Before I spend hours on hold with Continental I figure I would ask here.

I booked a flight in September for a Thanksgiving trip from Seattle to Philadelphia. I chose my seats when I booked.

Last night I decided to look at my reservation, and on my return PHL-SF flight, my seat assignment has vanished. It says the seats are all full and I don't have one assigned.

I'm slightly concerned being I have to be to work the next day and it makes me wonder if I could possibly not be on this flight?!?! I hear about airlines overbooking but this has never happened before.

If anyone can shed some light on what's going on I'd appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 01:49 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Because of the merger with United, there have been some plane changes. It may be that the flight is now on a different aircraft and the assignments are up in the air. Your best bet is: call the airline and ask. You may end up having to just get to the airport early enough to get the GA to assign you a seat.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:04 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Before I spend hours on hold with Continental I figure I would ask here.

I booked a flight in September for a Thanksgiving trip from Seattle to Philadelphia. I chose my seats when I booked.

Last night I decided to look at my reservation, and on my return PHL-SF flight, my seat assignment has vanished. It says the seats are all full and I don't have one assigned.

I'm slightly concerned being I have to be to work the next day and it makes me wonder if I could possibly not be on this flight?!?! I hear about airlines overbooking but this has never happened before.

If anyone can shed some light on what's going on I'd appreciate it.
Most likely, they switched the flight to a smaller aircraft. When you check in online 24 hours before departure, you should be able to get a seat assignment. If you haven't signed for Continental's "frequent flyer" program, do so, and have your "frequent flyer number" added to your reservation -- "frequent flyer" program members are less likely to get "bumped."

Old 11-05-2011, 05:38 PM

878 posts, read 1,653,473 times
Thanks for the replies.

I booked the trip at Continental's website but all the flights are indeed United. It says Airbus 319 and I'm not sure how much smaller they'd go on a PHL/SF flight but upon calling them their automated CS rep told me to rest assured that I had a confirmed reservation and I would be assigned a seat upon check in.

Never had this happen before but I've never flown anyone else but Delta until now. I guess Continental/United do things differently...

I did sign up for the frequent flyer program already. I guess we'll see. If I get bumped off the flight when I bought it 2 months in advance due to overbooking I am not going to have kind things to say at the ticket counter...

:-)

Old 11-05-2011, 06:37 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times
Call. They'll help you out.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:54 AM

167 posts, read 470,125 times
In your situation I would get to the airport about 3 hours early and check in.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:07 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
I would call the resevations number and speak to a live agent and see if you can get them to assign you a seat. Tell them You booked your flight far in advance in order to get the seat you wanted. If that does not work, then check the web site from time to time to see if they have opened up the seating. If all else fails check in on line right at 24 hours before departure time.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:13 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC2k11 View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I booked the trip at Continental's website but all the flights are indeed United. It says Airbus 319 and I'm not sure how much smaller they'd go on a PHL/SF flight but upon calling them their automated CS rep told me to rest assured that I had a confirmed reservation and I would be assigned a seat upon check in.

Never had this happen before but I've never flown anyone else but Delta until now. I guess Continental/United do things differently...

I did sign up for the frequent flyer program already. I guess we'll see. If I get bumped off the flight when I bought it 2 months in advance due to overbooking I am not going to have kind things to say at the ticket counter...

:-)
All Airbus A319, aren't the same -- some have more seats than others. For instance, if your PHL-SFO "Continental" flight was originally a "codeshare" with USAir, the USAir A319 has a total of 124 seats (12 first class, 112 "coach). If they switched the aircraft to a United A319, it has a total of 120 seats (8 first class, 40 "economy plus", and 72 "economy"). Thus, 4 passengers would lose their seat assignments when the flight is switched to the A319 that has fewer seats if the original flight was "fully booked." Normally, United/Continental sets aside a certain number of coach seats for its elite "frequent flyer" program members that are not released until 24 hours before departure. In addition, any unsold "first class" seats are also made available for upgrades 24 hours before departure. If you're unable to get a seat assignment when checking in online 24 hours before departure, then consider yourself "lucky" because you're probably going to end up with a free flight (or at least a free upgrade to first class)...
Aviation Consumer Protection Division

Old 11-07-2011, 02:06 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,537 times
This has happened to me many times. Due to overbooking or Equipment change you do not have an assigned seat, even though you are confirmed. GET THERE EARLY! There are a number of people on the same list and they will be put on the list in the order that they check in. Then if they are oversold, they will ask for volunteers. They will pay a volunteer to give up a seat for you. If no One does, you could get Bumped, but this is rare. The good news is due to new regulations, if you do happen to get bumped, they have to pony up big time, usually twice what the volunteer payment is, and sometimes several times your ticket price. So they do what they can to not Bump you.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:20 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Just checkin online 24 hours before your flight. So you have the best choice of seats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel