U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 2,931 times

Advertisements

Hi there!
I'm a 20 year old American. My husband, on the other hand, is a 24 year old Canadian. After a few initial visits, I stayed with him for several months, yaddy yaddy yadda. Always stayed within my passport's allotted time frame, neither of us have the intention of illegal immigration.

We're currently in Canada, but within a few short days, looking to spend the next few Holidays with my family in the Florida area. We are bringing all of our clothing, his work tools, and our cat and dog.

Something that concerns me is that we'll be getting a ride to the border by my husband's family, and getting a ride from the border by my family.

What issues will we run into? If any?

My husband is planning to come back up to Canada no later than April. In the meantime, with my father's decaying health, he's offered to help fix up the house and other obstacles on my parent's land while down there. In his list of tools, there's power drills, a sawsall, etc..a hefty thing or two.

We also have our cat and dog, who are rabies vaccinated and have all of their medical papers.

Thanks for any information in the meantime.

The more help, the better. It allows me to give a decent time-frame to those lending us a hand with the drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 01:26 PM

9,123 posts, read 17,125,688 times
Well, Expect to Spend time in secondary Inspection, Where are you doing the 'stuff' swap? You can't do @ the border you need to be US or Canada, away from the crossing point. (Some parking lot near by would work). They will want to see the papers for the pets, If the stuff in the car include lots of 'his' stuff, They will wonder why this guy from Canada has everything he own in the car. It would help if you can show how he's getting back to Canada in April.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Well, Expect to Spend time in secondary Inspection, Where are you doing the 'stuff' swap? You can't do @ the border you need to be US or Canada, away from the crossing point. (Some parking lot near by would work). They will want to see the papers for the pets, If the stuff in the car include lots of 'his' stuff, They will wonder why this guy from Canada has everything he own in the car. It would help if you can show how he's getting back to Canada in April.
My father will be waiting for us in Buffalo, our driver to the border has a passport, while my father does not.
The papers are all ready and set in an envelope.
Other than clothes, it's really just a few tools.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:35 PM

The Canada Car may need US proof on insurance to drive into the US. (and the driver will need a license.) The Pets, how you act @ primary inspection, What the inside of the car looks like. Will determine how long it will take, Primary will take no more then few mins. If the primary officer has any issues, s/he will send you over to secondary to free up his lane for the next car.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
The Canada Car may need US proof on insurance to drive into the US. (and the driver will need a license.) The Pets, how you act @ primary inspection, What the inside of the car looks like. Will determine how long it will take, Primary will take no more then few mins. If the primary officer has any issues, s/he will send you over to secondary to free up his lane for the next car.
Will it matter that the car being driven does not belong to any in the car?
Insurance would be there, and the driver would have a license..the car just belongs to my husband's mother's friend..who doesn't have a passport.

Other than that, the car will be organized neatly for inspection, with everything we need on hand.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:44 PM

I would get a letter (notized) from your husband's mother's friend giving you permission to drive the car into the US. When they run the DMV on the plate, and look at the 3 passports, the primary officer will question why no one in the car is related to the car owner.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I would get a letter (notized) from your husband's mother's friend giving you permission to drive the car into the US. When they run the DMV on the plate, and look at the 3 passports, the primary officer will question why no one in the car is related to the car owner.

Alright, I don't think that would be a problem at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel