U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you venture out of a foreign resort?
Yes, it's fun to explore! 6 100.00%
No way, I don't respond well to kidnapping! 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:42 PM

3,509 posts, read 5,175,395 times

Advertisements

What a bunch of ridiculous generalizations and stereotyping about Mexico. Yes, they have drug cartels and drug violence in some parts of Mexico. But murders and kidnappings of tourists are very rare. Unless you deliberately put yourself in danger by venturing into dicey areas or having dealings with shady characters, you will be quite safe traveling outside the walls of your resort. I'm a 61 year old woman who drove through Mexico and lived there for 7 months - alone. I and all the other expats in the area were and are quite safe. Stop being such a fraidy cat and go see the world.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:51 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
What a bunch of ridiculous generalizations and stereotyping about Mexico. Yes, they have drug cartels and drug violence in some parts of Mexico. But murders and kidnappings of tourists are very rare. Unless you deliberately put yourself in danger by venturing into dicey areas or having dealings with shady characters, you will be quite safe traveling outside the walls of your resort. I'm a 61 year old woman who drove through Mexico and lived there for 7 months - alone. I and all the other expats in the area were and are quite safe. Stop being such a fraidy cat and go see the world.
Like I said, I've seen Mexico, I have no desire to ever see it again.

I've seen plenty of the world and know enough to know I'd rather go to other places

Old 11-09-2011, 01:52 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,859,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Exactly. Went to Mexico years ago as a teen and have absolutely NO desire to ever go again. Heck, even the good Mexicans don't want to stay there now!
ahh, I was talking about the crimes and violence in the U.S.A., not mexico. You might want to compare the crime rate within the USA to that of the other countries and you may see that the USA is a very violent and crime ridden country. You may actually be safer as a visitor in a foreign country than right in your own neighborhood here.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
ahh, I was talking about the crimes and violence in the U.S.A., not mexico. You might want to compare the crime rate within the USA to that of the other countries and you may see that the USA is a very violent and crime ridden country. You may actually be safer as a visitor in a foreign country than right in your own neighborhood here.
Now that I've reread it, I see that I misunderstood your post - sorry about that.

I would agree that you can be pretty safe in many foreign countries.

And indeed you are actually safer in some foreign countries than you are in some places in America.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:00 PM

24,639 posts, read 24,827,559 times
Quote:
Now that I've reread it, I see that I misunderstood your post - sorry about that.

I would agree that you can be pretty safe in many foreign countries.

And indeed you are actually safer in some foreign countries than you are in some places in America.
I rarely locked my doors when I lived in Japan.
I always feel safe in Europe and most of SE Asia.
I'm never comfortable, nor do I feel safe, in most of the US.

I went to an all-inclusive resort in Sharm El Sheik, Egypt.
It was great! I went diving every day in the Red Sea.
But to stay there and not leave? Why bother spending the money?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:01 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,766,981 times
Quote:
Like I said, I've seen Mexico, I have no desire to ever see it again.

I've seen plenty of the world and know enough to know I'd rather go to other places
bahamas and costa rica isn't exactly plenty of the world.

costa rica can be a pretty dangerous place. sayulita's name is the name of a beach town in mexico thats just as nice as any beach town in the CR ive been to.

the way you're talking about mexico makes me think you dont have very much experience w the country. if you luv mountains then mexico is a great country.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
bahamas and costa rica isn't exactly plenty of the world.

costa rica can be a pretty dangerous place. sayulita's name is the name of a town thats just as nice as any beach town in the CR ive been to.

the way you're talking about mexico makes me think you dont have very much experience w the country.
Not sure how I have offended you, but I can assure you your rude tone is not necessary.

I did not say the Bahamas and Costa Rica were the ONLY places I've been.

I said those were the places were we ventured off into the countryside away from our resort. Which by the way, IS what this thread is supposed to be about. You seem to be getting off topic just a bit, just sayin'...

Old 11-09-2011, 02:05 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,766,981 times
Quote:
Not sure how I have offended you, but I can assure you your rude tone is not necessary.
you are talking badly about my country how can i not be offended?

Old 11-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I rarely locked my doors when I lived in Japan.
I always feel safe in Europe and most of SE Asia.
I'm never comfortable, nor do I feel safe, in most of the US.

I went to an all-inclusive resort in Sharm El Sheik, Egypt.
It was great! I went diving every day in the Red Sea.
But to stay there and not leave? Why bother spending the money?
My sister-in-law lived in Japan and says the same thing

Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 PM

3,509 posts, read 5,175,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudetypist View Post
I know some people who always travel to the local towns with a guide when they vacation in a foreign resort (mexico, jamaica, DR, etc.). Then there are others like me, who are worried to venture out and get kidnapped/killed. Especially in places like Mexico where you hear all these stories about kidnapping.

So who has ventured out and who's worried like me?
Care to share some links to "all these stories"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel