U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 04:20 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times

Advertisements

My first try, going for a coast to coast route, came to 6,947 miles. Mapping points at Kittery ME, Brattleboro VT, Chepachet RI, Wilmington DE, South Point OH, Greenville SC, Pensacola FL, Lake Providence LA, Ironwood MI, Wahpeton ND, Dalhart TX, Teec Nos Pos AZ, West Yellowstone MT, Clarkston WA, Crescent City CA.

Anybody want to try to top that? I think it can probably be done a bit shorter by not using the coast-to-coast requirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 10:33 AM

17,596 posts, read 23,805,174 times
Try doing all 48 States in 10 Days on a motorcycle!

48 States--10 Days Rules

One mans adventure (there are many more):
48 States in 10 Days / Geography 101
Attached Thumbnails
Shortest route through all 48 states-48-10.jpg  

Old 11-17-2011, 11:36 AM

2,501 posts, read 2,183,942 times
whats the point of that? you miss most of the interesting places in the country

Old 11-17-2011, 12:18 PM

8,182 posts, read 11,504,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Try doing all 48 States in 10 Days on a motorcycle!

48 States--10 Days Rules

One mans adventure (there are many more):
48 States in 10 Days / Geography 101
As a biker I can see the attraction of the challege...but I'd feel like I missed a lot of stuff.

DH and I have plans to take two months (at least) right after we retire to ride the 48.

jtur88....is the rule that you only have to hit the actual coast once?

Great challenge.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:17 PM

17,596 posts, read 23,805,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
As a biker I can see the attraction of the challege...but I'd feel like I missed a lot of stuff.
No doubt.
It doesn't hold much appeal to me either.

Understand that the 'adventure" is meant for the long distance riders.
More info: IBA - World's Toughest Motorcycle Riders

Old 11-17-2011, 01:40 PM

38,755 posts, read 39,152,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
Who gets to decide what the interesting places are? Does everybody need to go to the approved interesting places?

You cannot go and find interesting things at prescribed signposts. Instead, you travel with an open mind, and let the interesting things find you.

Of the 20 most interesting things I've seen in recent years traveling in the USA, I bet you haven't seen any of them.

If you drive a back road across Iowa and you don't see anything "interesting", it's your fault, not the road's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
jtur88....is the rule that you only have to hit the actual coast once?
There is no "rule", I just threw it out there as an itinerary option. If you'd rather make a circle tour through 48 states, returning to the same spot you started, go for it, and let us know how far it is.

I just plotted a rough circle route through 48 states, that google-mapped out to 8,369, using "recommended" fastest routes, but I bet I could get it below 8,000 by looking for shortcuts.

A co-worker and I once drove a circle through 21 states in 50 hours, as a fund-raiser.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-17-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 7,779 times
To just touch each of the 48 states I've gotten it down to the 6700 mile range. (http://tinyurl.com/48short (broken link)) Route passes through the following towns:

White River Junction, VT (I-89 S)
Manchester, NH
Kittery, ME
Boston, MA (US-1 and I-93 for most direct route)
Providence, RI
New Haven, CT
NYC, NY (I-95 - GWB)
Jersey City, NJ
Boothwyn, PA (cross Delaware River on US-322)
Wilmington, DE
Baltimore, MD (Either I-695 around the top or Ft McHenry Tunnel to I-695 across the bottom)
Charles Town, WV (US-340)
Roanoke, VA
Charlotte, NC (I-485 around the NW corner)
Greeneville, SC
Atlanta, GA
Montgomery, AL
Atmore, AL (head down AL-21 to the Florida border)
Hattiesburg, MS
Delta, LA (turn around and head back into Mississippi; head north on US-61)
Memphis, TN
Blytheville, AR
Sikeston, MO
Cairo, IL (head across the Ohio River to catch Kentucky, then return to I-57)
Angola, IN (take US-20 east into Ohio)
Camden, MI (head north on OH-49 to MI-49, then head west on Territorial Rd to IN-120/I-80)
Madison, WI
Elbow Lake, MN (take MN-79/MN-55 west to ND-11)
Hankinson, ND (I-29 S)
Sioux Falls, SD
Sioux City, IA (US-77 S into South Sioux Falls)
McCool Junction, NE (US-81 S)
Great Bend, KS (KS-156 and US-56 southwest across the state)
Boise City, OK
Texas State Line Road, TX (turnoff from US-56)
Clayton, NM
Pagosa Springs, CO (US-160 west across the bottom of Colorado)
Four Corners, AZ (shorter to just stay on US-160 until you cross the AZ border, then U-turn)
Price, UT
Evanston, WY
Winnemucca, NV (take US-95 and NV-140 northwest out of the state)
Lakeview, OR
New Pine Creek, CA
Walla Walla, WA (US-395 most of the way through OR, then route 11)
Lewiston, ID (US-12 all the way)
Montana Border on US-12

I'm sure this can be improved, but it's fairly trim as is. It would not be very exciting to drive, but it would do it in close to the least amount of miles.

Last edited by Admiral_Capn; 02-09-2012 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: add maps link

Old 02-09-2012, 03:13 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,332,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
I think you miss the point of the exercise. It is not a cross-country trip to visit national parks or take pictures of waterfalls. It is a challenge a person sets out to himself to see if he can achieve a certain goal within a certain period, and the goal is to touch all 48 states with the least time spending on the road and/or on the shortest route possible. Seeing sights is never part of the plan, the same way that stopping to admire ancient chateaux is never part of the plan of Tour de France's participants.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:52 AM

20,328 posts, read 16,609,173 times
I wonder if researching some of the Cannonball or Iron Butt runs could shed some light on short cuts.
What car will or has been used to do the trip in question JT

Old 02-10-2012, 11:16 AM

8,182 posts, read 11,504,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Who gets to decide what the interesting places are? Does everybody need to go to the approved interesting places?

You cannot go and find interesting things at prescribed signposts. Instead, you travel with an open mind, and let the interesting things find you.

Of the 20 most interesting things I've seen in recent years traveling in the USA, I bet you haven't seen any of them.

If you drive a back road across Iowa and you don't see anything "interesting", it's your fault, not the road's.

There is no "rule", I just threw it out there as an itinerary option. If you'd rather make a circle tour through 48 states, returning to the same spot you started, go for it, and let us know how far it is.

I just plotted a rough circle route through 48 states, that google-mapped out to 8,369, using "recommended" fastest routes, but I bet I could get it below 8,000 by looking for shortcuts.

A co-worker and I once drove a circle through 21 states in 50 hours, as a fund-raiser.
All I meant by my original comment (should have made a disclaimer) is that I'm easily distracted....my dream trip is to go to all the weird attractions like the biggest ball of string. I always want to know where weird roads go so I'd probably never be good at trying to break a speed record
I think that 21 states in 50 hours would be fun. But I'd have to go back and explore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel