U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2011, 11:38 AM

3,152 posts, read 3,090,235 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I suppose this could go in the personal finance forum as well, but I wanted to hear from people who love to travel!

Whether it's road trips in the U.S. or going to places like Rome or African Safari's, I'm especially interested in hearing from middle class income folks.

Our situation is that we're renting right now and (after deliberating whether or not to stay in California) decided to stay and buy a place to live. Having a median income in Orange County, Ca. I'm sure many know doesn't buy much because we have to share the California sunshine.

If we buy at the top of our range (we already have loan approval) we'd definately be house poor.
And naturally, the lower price the house is, the more cash flow we'd have for travelling!

Has anyone made decisions on major purchases like this based on their love of travel?
I know some folks live right out of a moving RV! But we have stationary jobs, and need to have at least a bit of counter space for cooking!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,096,230 times
Hmm, we love to travel but couldn't much because of my husband's last job. He has moved on, and now we have the money but he doesn't have a lot of vacation time. In general, we don't eat out much, we try to buy our cars outright or aggressively pay off loans (none right now), we buy clothes (and some other things) secondhand, and we live in houses well below our means. All of this means more money for travel. It's difficult for me to call it a sacrifice though. We are not as well-traveled as we wish we were, but I'm hoping that will change now that my husband isn't working 18 hour days 6 days a week and threatened with termination if he takes his vacay. Ridiculous, I know.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:53 AM

31,777 posts, read 24,907,156 times
I sacrifice "luxury" purchases. With two international and a few local trips, I've spent about $12K. Then while walking about a Sony Store the other day, I was looking at one of the camera lenses, priced at nearly $7K and thought to myself... would it be this next year, or a trip to Italy. This is the same question I had asked self several months ago. the answer is probably going to be the same... trip.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I sacrifice "luxury" purchases. With two international and a few local trips, I've spent about $12K. Then while walking about a Sony Store the other day, I was looking at one of the camera lenses, priced at nearly $7K and thought to myself... would it be this next year, or a trip to Italy. This is the same question I had asked self several months ago. the answer is probably going to be the same... trip.
I hear you!
Last year my hubby was eyeing an I-Pad. We were also planning on a long weekend for our anniversery. I told him it would be absolutely fine with me if he wanted the toy, and put off the trip, but he said staight away he wanted the road trip! And no I did NOT pout or bat my eyes!
He loves our getaways as much as I do!

Old 11-16-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Hmm, we love to travel but couldn't much because of my husband's last job. He has moved on, and now we have the money but he doesn't have a lot of vacation time. In general, we don't eat out much, we try to buy our cars outright or aggressively pay off loans (none right now), we buy clothes (and some other things) secondhand, and we live in houses well below our means. All of this means more money for travel. It's difficult for me to call it a sacrifice though. We are not as well-traveled as we wish we were, but I'm hoping that will change now that my husband isn't working 18 hour days 6 days a week and threatened with termination if he takes his vacay. Ridiculous, I know.
That's what we need to do... buy a place well below our means. We just have to be careful of neighborhoods!
There's one place that's real cheap and the floor plan would be fine, if very small, but it's in a real bad pocket of the general area, and noisy with too many kids! I guess we're not willing to sacrifice our day to day sanity!

Anyway, glad to hear your hubby changed jobs! Goodness!!

Old 11-19-2011, 02:42 PM

101 posts, read 176,206 times
I forgo some the the luxuries. For example in London, Paris, etc I don't stay in 4 or 5 star hotels. Simple hotel room such as a holiday inn, comfort inn, ibis, or a simple boutique hotel, or even a B&B help. They may be basic and plain but I don't spend too much time in hotel rooms in cities such as London and Paris. Just to sleep, shower, get dressed, and a safe place to keep my stuff. For eating I go to grocery stores to get snacks, lunches, breakfast food (depending on the hotel). Then eating one big meal and two small meals (small breakfast, big lunch, small dinner) or (small, small, big). For souvenirs I don't buy books cause you can buy online and just get small stuff. plus if you take a camera the pictures do all the talking. Going in the winter or shoulder season helps too with airline and hotel prices. That being said I spend my money on attractions even with the free sights. you will splurge on those but the rest can be budgeted.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:39 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
The first time, I gave up a good job and a career, to backpack around Europe for 8 months. Returned home with no prospects and started over again. Later, I interrupted my career for another 8 months, to travel overland around Africa, again arriving home with no prospects. Never regretted it for a minute. Both times, I arrived home with less than $100 to my name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or