U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2011, 10:43 AM

5,431 posts, read 8,145,995 times

Advertisements

Since Nov. 2009, my mom, aunt & I have been planning a nice 2 wk trip to the 2012 Summer Olympics in London & to Paris. This was going to be the trip of a lifetime! We have been mkg payments & to this day, we've been charged $13,440 & were $4380 away from having the entire trip paid for.

Now, we have to cancel the trip & the travel co won't give us back a penny. No, we hadn't gotten travel insurance yet, but we weren't done paying for the whole thing either.

My mom's definitely planning to get an attorney. The total was charged on two of MY credit cards. I disputed a few thousand so far on one. The bulk of it, I have to call a certain dept on Monday.

Does anyone know of any travel attorneys in southern California? Anything else you suggest? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 11:03 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
A number of factors could be involved here. I'm presuming that your travel agent is selling you a lot of separate items, such as plane fare, hotels, event tickets, etc. That far in advance, it is doubtful that any of those have actually been purchased.

If specific elements of the package are not yet purchased from their vendors, it is safe to say that the agent is sitting on your money. In that case, you probably have a good chance of getting a judgment for recovery of quite a bit of the money fronted so far. However, there are loads of middle-men involved in between your agent and the ultimate providers, all of whom can have all sorts of refund conditions.

This could be an important point of law: If your agent lets you off the hook for the unpaid $4K, that in fact constitutes a "refund", and commits him to recognize the legitimacy of a refund in principle.

I would assume that travel insurance needs to be put in place at the time of booking, regardless of when it is paid for.

In any case, though, your agent has an agreement that you have presumably signed, and a great deal of weight will be placed on the refund terms in that agreement. And consulting a lawyer is a very good idea.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Thanks, actually, no separate things were sold to me/added on. It was a set amount for the 3 of us from the beginning & we've been paying installments. The only thing that would have been separate was buy the actual tickets to the Olympics sporting events, which now I'm glad we never bought as well.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:28 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Five-thousand each sounds like a very high price for just a 2-week tour package to London and Paris, if it doesn't include any event tickets or anything.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:48 PM

Oh really, I thought the price was pretty good...maybe not.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:57 PM

2,445 posts, read 4,432,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Oh really, I thought the price was pretty good...maybe not.
I'm not sure what you're exact itinerary is, but just a quick informal check of flights from LA to London during the time of the 2012 Olympics shows coach round trip tickets going for roughly $1400 each. You should be able to grab a ticket from London to Paris for around $100 to $150, so figure around $1500 for airfare.

That gives you (each) about $320 to spend per day if you're staying for exactly two weeks. If you're staying in a decent hotel and you're each getting your own room, I guess that's not terrible, but I think better deals could be had.

In any case, as far as the matter at hand, did you sign anything with the travel agent when you started making these payments? Did it mention anything about what would happen in the event of a cancellation?

Even if it did say that you're still responsible, that isn't the end of the story. Still check with a lawyer.

Old 11-21-2011, 03:11 PM

I've called my credit card company and Lready disputed the amount, including writing up a dispute letter explaining to situation.

My mom's going to write to the BBB. We'll see what happens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or