U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 AM

5,327 posts, read 11,049,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
I'm not much of the type that likes crowded cities. I prefer wide open spaces with no one around.
Uhmmm ...
Wide open spaces ...
In Europe ?
No one around ...
In Europe ?

To have both, how about Death Valley (wide open space), or South East Utah (usually nobody around) ?

Seriously, Europe can be enjoyed, but not at the parameters you require above.
Instead, go for quaint and really smallish.
Just to get away from what you *normally* like.
Change of pace, kind of ... ?
Then when you get back to your wide open space with nobody around,
mutter to yourself: Now I am home and this is what really I like !
Nothing wrong with liking wide open spaces, with nobody around.
I am 100% with you there my friend !!!
I assume you can figure out where I like to spend my time and where I live ... !

<<<Or what about going to Germany first and picking where to go by train from there since I have family there that could help direct me?>>>
You'd be surprised what you can see in one country alone.
Is this trip a once in a life time trip ?
Contrary to what a lot of people *claim*,
even tho public transportation is abundant in Europe,
getting to smallish areas with few people around is NOT that easy to get to ...
(unless you have your own transportation, so there goes the public transportation ..)
Since your family lives in Berlin, will they have enough time to spend with you on your side trips ?
Most families in Europe now have at least one car.
Very few have more than one.

What made you pick the cities on your list ?
What did you expect to *see* in those cities ?

<<<Museums and History I like. Wife isn't so much on history.>>>
While you are lurking around old paintings, what will your wife be doing ?
There are umpteen *open air* musea in Europe.
Would that interest you more maybe ?

Are you flying *IN* to Amsterdam, and flying *OUT* from Berlin ?

Last edited by irman; 11-23-2011 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 11:28 PM

4,247 posts, read 10,555,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Uhmmm ...
Wide open spaces ...
In Europe ?
No one around ...
In Europe ?

To have both, how about Death Valley (wide open space), or South East Utah (usually nobody around) ?

Seriously, Europe can be enjoyed, but not at the parameters you require above.

Yes, I prefer a lot of things. But it doesn't mean I get my way. I'll be leaving from Germany for sure. Everything else is up in the air.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:40 AM

662 posts, read 940,523 times
My wife and I spent a week in each of Berlin, Paris and Prague last year. I just cant see spending 3 days in prague, and only the same in Paris and London. Take off a day from Prague and add it to Paris or London. I agree that you are perhaps doing too many. Four places max. would be better. Berlin is a great city, and could easily justify a week, however, given your schedule, you could probably take 1 or 2 days from Berlin and add to Paris and/or London. I can't understand spendig 4 days in Amstterdam, but only 3 in Paris!!! Same for Amsterdam vs London. I do understand your desire to spend at least 3 days each place, since 2 or fewer days is probably a bit too hurried. Hence my suggestion to shorten Amsterdam and/or Prague in favor of the others. Paris is magic, and Berlin is close.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:01 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
Try to figure out a way to spend at least a few days in places that are not huge cities. Would you recommend that a visitor to the USA spend all his time only in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles?

If your air ticket includes flights to each of your destination cities, I can't even imagine how you could possibly spend $4,000 in 17 days on meals, sightseeing, and knickknacks. That's $125 per day per person.

Old 11-25-2011, 09:50 AM

4,247 posts, read 10,555,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1949 View Post
My wife and I spent a week in each of Berlin, Paris and Prague last year. I just cant see spending 3 days in prague, and only the same in Paris and London. Take off a day from Prague and add it to Paris or London. I agree that you are perhaps doing too many. Four places max. would be better. Berlin is a great city, and could easily justify a week, however, given your schedule, you could probably take 1 or 2 days from Berlin and add to Paris and/or London. I can't understand spendig 4 days in Amstterdam, but only 3 in Paris!!! Same for Amsterdam vs London. I do understand your desire to spend at least 3 days each place, since 2 or fewer days is probably a bit too hurried. Hence my suggestion to shorten Amsterdam and/or Prague in favor of the others. Paris is magic, and Berlin is close.

I haven't looked up things to do in those cities so bare with me on the days in each city. If we fly into Amsterdam, 3 days isn't to much I would think. The first day we would probably sleep in from jet lag or stay close to the hotel to maybe get a bite to eat.

What did you go do and see in Paris and Prague?

Old 11-25-2011, 03:59 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,781,840 times
My $0.002:

I didn't see where you indicated your time of visiting, other than the year, so this is a seasonally generic missive. There is soooooo much to see, in art, history, culture - I wouldn't try and be proscriptive. Europe is a delight and hugely different than the US.

We generally visit Europe several times per year and the season(s) can make a difference in one's plans. Access to the more popular attractions can be a bit of a chore, most especially during the high season(s), without either group tour connections or prepaid reservations made well in advance (just FYI).

You're well advised to create a "must see" visit list tailored to your own preferences and plan accordingly. Solo (non-tour) visitors are at the bottom of the access list to many major attractions.

- With relatives in Germany, take maximum advantage of your local contacts and enjoy getting a feel for that very charming country. From its magnificent cities to the Black Forest and small river towns - it is delightful.

Train travel is generally very pleasant, efficient and affords one the opportunity to get a nice view of the different landscapes. We've come to enjoy the train ride as much as we do the destinations. Our travels are all based on group touring but we've become very fond of breaking off and doing our own mini-touring and then catching up down the road or river.

-Amsterdam: BE SERIOUSLY WARY of the incredible hordes of bicycles, you can get run over in a heartbeat. Our first trip some years ago was nearly a disaster, we literally had to jump for our lives to avoid getting seriously banged up. They don't behave as you might expect in your native Texas, you are WARNED!

Amsterdam is crowded, the countryside and smaller towns are much more pleasant, but a tad flat for the most part. After you've seen one windmill, it can be a enough, at least in my opinion.

A visit to the Delta Works, if possible, is pretty impressive if you like that sort of engineering infrastructure. Art and architecture abound in Amsterdam, it is a feast for those so inclined.

My optimum solution to enjoying Amsterdam was to utilize water taxis and water tours, a much more pleasant way to see that very enchanting city. Definitely say hello for me to house number 7, its a multi-story, hundreds year old home that is slightly wider than the front door. Unique!

Rome - too much to give advice on, really, but exercise the greatest care with your valuables. It is not a city for naive tourists. Tuscany is much more attractive, in my view. The Amalfi coast is worth a visit, but bring lots of Euros.

Paris - on our list but haven't been there.

Seriously review your health insurance coverage in overseas locations. Some folks find that it can be a huge financial bummer when they twist an ankle on the cobblestones in Paris, Rome (etc.) and find that their insurance doesn't cover it. There are excellent and low cost insurance policies one can buy for trips. It is especially important if you have HMO coverage.

My extremely valuable advice (in my $0.002 opinion) - buy and break-in excellent walking shoes and consider buying a quality pair of walking sticks to deal with the cobblestones. Its not quite like a stroll in Houston and you will never regret having a stick on hand. JMHO

PS - Swisswife is an excellent source of advice and knowledge on the subject of European travels.

PSS - We (basically middle class, not much on trinkets, etc., been there a few times now) budget a $100 Euros/day/person. That comfortably covers food, coffees, tips, whatnot.

Europe is, in our highly inexpert opinion, a bit pricer than the US in general. One can obviously do it for less, but the round number noted above has worked for us. If you happen to spend some time in Italy, definitely up the budget to cover Gelato expenses, its addictive (and well worth the cost!).

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 11-25-2011 at 05:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel