Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 08:01 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,514 posts, read 14,472,647 times

Advertisements

Check this video episode on Nightline about how this guy goes to extremes in order to save money for traveling. Frequent flier millionaires.

Frequent Flyer Secrets: Tips for Racking Up the Travel Points - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 11:23 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,648,499 times
Oh yeah? Where do I get the "free" hundred thousands points, without spending a hundred thousands dollars on my credit card and prior airline tickets?

I got a better deal than that. Free, a million dollars in cash. Just spend $100-millon on credit cards that give 1% cash back.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:54 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,832,320 times
Unless you're a business traveler and your company is paying for your tickets, this is completely unreasonable. You can't have millions of miles without purchasing millions of miles worth of tickets.. Who would honestly go on a mileage run out of their own pocket unless they were on the edge of going up to diamond status..

Old 11-25-2011, 02:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,612 posts, read 57,597,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Unless you're a business traveler and your company is paying for your tickets, this is completely unreasonable. You can't have millions of miles without purchasing millions of miles worth of tickets.. Who would honestly go on a mileage run out of their own pocket unless they were on the edge of going up to diamond status..
There are other promotions, like the guy in Bay area that bought thousands of dollars of Pudding that had a mileage promotion. He donated the pudding to homeless (tax write-off (if you have enough income...& need it )

IIRC he got a million miles. I have only 1/2 that from yrs of company travel. I plan to do a couple RTW trips on Star Alliance. (one yr, 12 stops last I checked) I will probably do Southern Hemisphere since it is so $$$$ to buy.

According to the title (Travel for Free) I figured thread was 'work-related-travel'. My previous employer paid for international relocations for me and family + I traveled 25+ wks / yr. It was a good 'homeschool' education for the kids, & I hope to get back into international employment (If I have to go to work...)

Traveling on the company dime was a very good gig. YMMV

Old 11-25-2011, 02:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,052,156 times
Probably a lot less hassle to just head out to your nearest on ramp and stick out you thumb..

Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 PM

747 posts, read 1,239,000 times
We should have bailed out the banks with an American Express card, then our president could have traveled on the free miles instead of AF1

Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,781,627 times
Yeah the article is almost all BS. You have to be a business traveler to really benifit from these programs.
Now, the exception is that those really in tune with all the promotions can indeed get frequent flyer points for pennies on the dollar. It still costs, and it's a hassle to keep track with all these programs.

It's easier then ever to get frequent flyer points nowadays with credit cards, etc. - but be aware also that these programs are also seriously diluting airlines frequent flyer programs. You need more points to get a free ticket, and seats are harder to get. With that being said - I am going Business Class, myself and spouse, to Europe next week. - all for free. But I earned that the old fashioned way - hundreds of hours of uncomfortable butt time in a metal tube in coach class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel