U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 05:47 PM

8,117 posts, read 12,687,324 times

Advertisements

I don't understand the inconsistencies between airports. My family just flew this weekend. The airport we left from had a sign at the front of security stating that children under the age of 14 no longer had to remove their shoes (my son falls under this category). I didn't have to remove my belt, or take my wallet out of my pocket. On the return trip, the airport security made children remove their shoes, belts off, everything out of your pockets....
Why the differences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 07:37 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,806,866 times
I think the inconsistencies exist so that the terrorists never know what to expect.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:26 AM

220 posts, read 508,702 times
It never has to end for all I care. I'll take off my shoes, clothes, hair LOL, as long as we get to the destination safely.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:01 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,922,343 times
We didn't have to take our shoes off when flying out of Europe.

I feel fortunate that I am even able to travel, but sometimes the shoe thing (as well as the pat-downs) stress me out.

For the second time, in January when leaving Madrid, I was "randomly" selected for additional security screening. There I am, a 50-something woman, rather bland and non-descript to look at, getting thoroughly patted down and also having the contents of my carry-on dumped out for all to see.
I'm beginning to get a complex about these "random" selections. I'm going to LA at the end of the month and I wonder if I'll get picked again.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:20 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,190,110 times
The Trusted Flyer program is expanding more and more. I think it is a great program. If you are in the trusted flyer list, which is really just people who have high status on airline frequent flyer programs you get to go through your own speed security line. No laptops taken out, no shoes etc.. It makes sense, these people get background checks and fly many many flights a year. If someone has been flying on American Airlines for 35 flights a year for the past 15 years do we really need to worry so much about them? Hopefully the program continues to expand.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 AM

4,800 posts, read 10,580,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
The Trusted Flyer program is expanding more and more. I think it is a great program. If you are in the trusted flyer list, which is really just people who have high status on airline frequent flyer programs you get to go through your own speed security line. No laptops taken out, no shoes etc.. It makes sense, these people get background checks and fly many many flights a year. If someone has been flying on American Airlines for 35 flights a year for the past 15 years do we really need to worry so much about them? Hopefully the program continues to expand.
I wasn't aware of such a program. Sounds like a great idea. Not only will frequent flyers avoid the hassle, but the regular lines should be smaller due to the frequent flyers not being in them.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:53 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,478,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Anyone heard if this ridiculous practice is ever going to end? They get all this new technology like full body scanners and yet they still make you take your shoes off.
Such a hardship, I know.

Personally, I'd like to see a policy in which anyone too stupid to walk through a metal detector with a pocket full of change gets denied boarding on their flight.

TSA procedures can be mildly annoying, but nowhere near as much as the multitude of idiotic fellow passengers one has to deal with when traveling by air.

Old 03-02-2012, 02:31 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,190,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I wasn't aware of such a program. Sounds like a great idea. Not only will frequent flyers avoid the hassle, but the regular lines should be smaller due to the frequent flyers not being in them.
Exactly it's a win win for everyone. Right now it's only in the large hubs like atlanta, Dallas, Miami, Chicago etc.. Hopefully it does well and they will continue to expand and expand to more airlines.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:14 PM

952 posts, read 1,781,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
You might get through quicker. Anytime, at the TSA's whim, you might have to go through the whole rigamorale in which case you save no time. Since you cannot be certain whether you will be subjected to this additional 'security' you cannot count on saving any time....

I am not in favor of the "trusted flier" program, it tiers travelers by their ability to pay. A better answer is to massively scale-back the monster that the TSA has become and spearhead resources by profiling those likely to be problematic.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,580,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Such a hardship, I know.
OK, maybe not for you, but for some of us getting up in age it is more than a minor annoyance. Beside, after 10 years of this based on one incident with the shoe bomber, they should have found a way to screen shoes with people still wearing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or