U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:39 PM

1,799 posts, read 2,428,429 times

Advertisements

Every time i set foot in an Airport i'm picked out for an explosive test on my hand luggage, i would probably be the eldest one in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 04:37 PM

880 posts, read 1,733,266 times
I honestly don't really find a problem with it, unless I'm wearing sandals - then i'll wear disposable socks. In my opinion, they need to start getting those disposable socks you see at shoe stores. It's unsanitary to walk barefooted, especially if you have a cut or something.

I think security is really uptight in NYC especially and I don't blame the TSA one bit for it. You never know these terrorists and their evil genius plans.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:16 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,155,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
I honestly don't really find a problem with it, unless I'm wearing sandals - then i'll wear disposable socks. In my opinion, they need to start getting those disposable socks you see at shoe stores. It's unsanitary to walk barefooted, especially if you have a cut or something.

I think security is really uptight in NYC especially and I don't blame the TSA one bit for it. You never know these terrorists and their evil genius plans.
From my experience last summer, I'd agree about NYC being uptight (although I don't blame them considering that NYC was the epicenter of the 9/11 attacks). I had to wait for what seemed like FOREVER as the line barely moved (unlike other places where the line was more efficient). JFK was the only airport which I had to go through the body scanner, even though my home airport has those suckers there as well.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,469,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
From my experience last summer, I'd agree about NYC being uptight (although I don't blame them considering that NYC was the epicenter of the 9/11 attacks). I had to wait for what seemed like FOREVER as the line barely moved (unlike other places where the line was more efficient). JFK was the only airport which I had to go through the body scanner, even though my home airport has those suckers there as well.
The only thing that I really object to are those scanners, many of which increase your chance of cancers later in life.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:49 AM

789 posts, read 1,075,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I say its time to eliminate TSA and go back to the approach we had with airline security prior to 9/11.
uh...no, I'd rather not. I worked for a major airline for 10 years and in one of the cities I worked in we were required to "test" security. We had metal "props" that looked like weapons. When our supervisor wanted to do a test, he would ask one of us in the breakroom (outside of security) to place the item in our purse/lunch bag/backpack on our way back to the gates (through security). You REALLY don't want to know how often they failed....the funniest/scariest part was how often the security supervisor (when approached by us and the form alerting them they failed) would ask us to "just go back through."

TSA can be annoying at times, but security is better now.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 AM

55,636 posts, read 74,577,828 times
as long as crazy people put bombs in their penny loafers they r guna do it.
and posts like this will be the 1st ones to denounce law enforcement when somebody gets killed.
remember u dont have to prove sanity to buy an airplane ticket.
u dont like it when u gota take off your shoes but think how angry that thug is behind u who is guna have to leave his rambo knife at screening. u think i make this stuff up dontcha.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:51 PM

328 posts, read 574,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
We didn't have to take our shoes off when flying out of Europe.
In Dubai, if you are flying to the states on an American airline(AFAIK) there will be a second round of screenings(bags, metal detectors, shoes) once you get to the boarding gate.

This was with Continental. I didn't have to do it with Emirates, however.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:59 AM

12 posts, read 59,987 times
I only have to take my shoes off in American airports. But in Germany, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland and The Netherlands - my shoes stayed on and laptop stayed in. They were using the body scanners in Schipol (Netherlands) several years before they started in the U.S. Traveling in, out and around the US is difficult, as my foreign friends love to tell me every single time they have to go through it These are people who travel all over Europe and Eastern Europe - it cracks them up that they have to remove their shoes, get their eyes scanned, fingerprinted, body scanned, etc. to get through Atlanta but to travel in to Serbia - just a glance and stamp at their passport.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:22 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,240,843 times
I think I'm one out of three people in this world who isn't all that bothered by airport security. It's the line that annoys me.
There have been a couple of times where I didn't have to take my shoes off in an American airport. They just let me walk right through wearing these thick ugly sneakers I could have hidden anything in. I guess I look innocent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or