U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 09:37 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,575,985 times

Advertisements

Anyone heard if this ridiculous practice is ever going to end? They get all this new technology like full body scanners and yet they still make you take your shoes off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 09:45 AM

737 posts, read 2,248,173 times
Some people just shouldn't, really. I mean never unless they are in the privacy of their own home and alone. Got behind one of those folks and it was nasty.

The removal of laptops is ridiculous as well. A lot of other countries don't do it.

Same with profiling... use it. It works. Nothing is 100% and the stupid shoe bomber, well I don't know what happened to him but I know what I wish would have happened to him. Just dumb.

Old 11-26-2011, 12:50 PM

37,987 posts, read 55,740,290 times
Yes, indeed. Especially when I see them ask to remove flip-flops. Lots of other countries don't do it. Talking about American paranoia...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-26-2011, 01:21 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,422,469 times
Not sure when - or if - it will end.

Thank goodness I didn't smell anyone's feet, nor anyone MINE. I washed, lotioned, and scented those tootsies well.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:07 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
Yes, when they stop sending people to prison for not paying the temporary voluntary income tax.

Once they tighten a screw, they never loosen it.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:00 PM

5,326 posts, read 11,045,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Once they tighten a screw, they never loosen it.
I assume they are afraid to loose it ??? (After it loosens ???)

Old 11-28-2011, 10:02 AM

9,191 posts, read 9,269,502 times
The mindset of TSA and of a lot of people is that if a terrorist event *could* happen than this justifies inconvenience to millions of people daily for an indefinite time into the future. It also justifies millions of dollars of additional expenses because its *possible* that people could get killed.

One person, one time, attempted to bomb an airliner with an explosive device in his shoe. It didn't work either. In my mind, that is not enough of a threat to justify making tens of thousands of people take their shoes off everyday when they fly.

I've been over this before and it just goes completely over some people's heads. This is a ridiculous approach to security. You could theoretically come up with dozens, perhaps, hundreds of additional security issues. I mean you could lie awake at night just imagining all sorts of scenarios that you would find only in Tom Clancy novels.

Security interests are only one interest that the public has. Other interests include being able to get to a destination in a minimum amount of time with a minimum amount of hassle. Perhaps, the biggest issue is simply one of cost. If TSA's budget is $10 billion in one year, the $10 billion spent represents lost opportunities in other areas. That $10 billion could be used to help shore up social security or medicare. If spent in some reasonable manner, it could provide free vaccinations and health care for millions of children in our country. Or, it could simply be used to make the budget a little closer to being balanced than it is.

I say its time to eliminate TSA and go back to the approach we had with airline security prior to 9/11.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:44 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,803,075 times
Two things: Firstly, coming from Europe I have always maintained there was NO airport security in the US before 9/11. It was an oxymoron. Secondly, when I take my shoes off I'm more worried about what I might catch off the nasty filthy floor I'm walking on than what my or other people's feet look like .

Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,475,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Two things: Firstly, coming from Europe I have always maintained there was NO airport security in the US before 9/11. It was an oxymoron. Secondly, when I take my shoes off I'm more worried about what I might catch off the nasty filthy floor I'm walking on than what my or other people's feet look like .
Sure, and there are body scan machines that do not use xrays(cause cancer). Why is it not mandatory that they use THEM?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,610,484 times
While traveling earlier this month from Washington DC I went through the scanner then as I stepped out of it I was body frisked as well. What's with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or