U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 01:21 PM

670 posts, read 1,023,406 times

Advertisements

A few years back my wife and I spend a week in Aruba per the advice of a friend. It was great, we stayed at an all inclusive resort and I was Sooo relaxed!!

Now we want to try someplace new, her friend stayed at the Atlantis and loved it but said it was almost too big and the restaurants were very pricey.

I would like to get recommendations for another all inclusive, some place I do not have to worrry about being nickel and dimed but simply relax.

I am not 100% sold on the Bahamas as we were also looking at St Marteen and St Lucia but it seems the Bahamas is really pushing the specials which include a good deal on airfare.

Course my coworkers are saying we should go to Hedonizm II LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 04:53 PM

2,013 posts, read 4,994,138 times
St.Lucia is gorgeous, but the travel/flight time is outrageous. Usually have to change planes in San Juan, and perhaps once in the US depending on where you are coming from. The ride from the airport to your all-inclusive can add another hour or more. I think we started at 7:00AM and didn't arrive at our resort until after 4 in the afternoon. A long day.

Bahama's are nice and parts of Jamaica are nice, there are some Sandal's resorts, and Breezes on both. Also know people that have been to Antigua for all-inclusives. Nice thing about Bahama's is that it is close, quick flights and quick trips to the airports.

How about a cruise?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:49 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,228,275 times
I spent a week in Nassau at Paradise Island for a week and it was a great break from reality.

Old 12-01-2011, 04:57 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,253,959 times
We have owned a home in Sint Maarten for many years and I think it is a great place for you to vacation. The restaurants are exceptional so an all-inclusive is really unnecessary. There is really something for everyone and with 37 beaches, you can spend every day at a different beach and in two different countries. The French side is considered France. We are heading into high season, so the prices will be a little higher, but it is still affordable. DM me if you have any questions.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 PM

5,648 posts, read 4,064,996 times
I've been to St. Maarten several times and highly recommend it. Our number one place to go as far as relaxation. We love Orient Beach. Wish I was there right now!

Old 12-04-2011, 07:24 PM

4,241 posts, read 8,080,146 times
We have been to nearly every island in the Caribbean, though usually for diving, not sitting on the beach...if you are doing an all inclusive, (we have done a few), than I really don't understand anyone's real concern on 'which island', as the island experience is limited anyway.

If the price is right, and the joint sounds decent with the room/view/amenities you want, and one does the usual one 'trip to town' during their stay, then I doubt that one will say, "Gee, I wish we were on A, B, C, J, or on any of the Bahamas" vs where one is.

I would think cost/value and shorter travel time is of more concern to an all inclusive vacationer than whether it's Paradise Island, St Kitts, Aruba, Cancun, et al.

My 50Cts.
GL, mD

Old 12-04-2011, 10:09 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,783,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
A few years back my wife and I spend a week in Aruba per the advice of a friend. It was great, we stayed at an all inclusive resort and I was Sooo relaxed!!

Now we want to try someplace new, her friend stayed at the Atlantis and loved it but said it was almost too big and the restaurants were very pricey.

I would like to get recommendations for another all inclusive, some place I do not have to worrry about being nickel and dimed but simply relax.

I am not 100% sold on the Bahamas as we were also looking at St Marteen and St Lucia but it seems the Bahamas is really pushing the specials which include a good deal on airfare.

Course my coworkers are saying we should go to Hedonizm II LOL
You didn't mention when you planned on going. The Bahamas can be hit or miss in the winter months. We went for a long weekend in February and it was chilly on the beach. They are close, but to me sort of "faux Caribbean".

St Lucia is beautiful, but as another poster said, getting to the resorts can be a drag. We opted for a helicopter back to the airport because the taxi trip going out was long and windy.

Antigua is great, but has gotten very pricy.

Another vote for St. Martin. We have been to the Orient Beach area several times, and it is our favorite spot for relaxation. We don't do all-inclusives, as there is a wealth of terrific restaurants to choose from.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:15 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,708,488 times
Vote for Key West. I don't like travelling out of the US.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:04 AM

670 posts, read 1,023,406 times
Thanks for the input guys, going to look at St Marteen and just noticed some deals from Vision Airlines.

Jasper12, I already did the Key West thing, it was a lot of fun but want something new.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:55 AM

1,756 posts, read 3,158,828 times
We stayed at Sandals St Lucia and we had a direct flight from NY to St. Lucia on JetBlue. It was only 5 hours, of course the Sandals resort was about 2 hrs by car..lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or